FFing harness, RFing baby in a Mini Cooper?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm pretty sure the seats will fit (Nautilus and True Fit), but I'm wondering if it's really do-able. Getting kids in and out.

And what about a convertible in that situation? Obviously the top wouldn't go down while the baby was in it, but maybe for the parent and older child to go out with occasionally? Or are they too unsafe for an infant to even ride in with the top up?

No, I'm not pregnant. Just thinking.

Wendy

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I never felt unsafe putting the top down when our kids were litttle in our convertible... but they *screamed bloody murder* about it....

Hmmm... Clubman?

lovinwaves

Just thinking? or just thinking of becoming pregnant... :whistle:

Wendy, did you see these recent threads?

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=51226

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=50941

Getting them in and out was a BREEZE(no pun intended) with the top down!

I think depending on how easy the front seats move forward will make a difference on how easy it will be getting them in and out. The EOS's front seats move forward and back easily and quickly.

The way hardtop convertibles are now days it only takes about 30-45 seconds to put the top up or down (just estimating). To me it would be worth it to just put the top down and up everytime you get the kids out. With a ff'ing toddler putting the top down wouldn't be necessary. I think it's the rf'ing infant or toddler that would be the booger.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's a softtop, and it takes a fraction of the time a hardtop does to go down. The Mini's is pretty fast for a softtop even. I think 10 seconds? I wouldn't want to put it down every time. PITB.

The Clubman is pretty darn ugly, and it has only one extra door, and I could never deal with the visibility being cut in half in the back by the doors.

Jools, you think it's safe with pop up rollbars and all that to have a convertible from newborns on up? I can't see a baby liking it, or at least not a baby Piper. :)

We're thinking. Well, more like it's likely, and I DESPERATELY want a Mini convertible. But if it would make my life a living hell day and and day out, then the Mazda5 would be more likely.

I still have yet to see the True Fit in person, though. Does it take up more space than an infant seat without the headrest and at a 45 degree angle? I may need to call every Walmart in the area to see if they have it. It looks most awesome. I recommended it this morning to a lady who is due in September. She's not a bucket fan, and so I listed off the four seats I like for newborns, and I think that one looks the best with the infant padding.

Wendy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't think there're enough convertibles with properly installed child seats in them to give us any definitive safety data... I imagine the rollover risk is low, but I wonder how they do in side impacts against something with a high bumper?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I don't think there're enough convertibles with properly installed child seats in them to give us any definitive safety data... I imagine the rollover risk is low, but I wonder how they do in side impacts against something with a high bumper?

They test regular cars too, and 80% of those don't have properly installed seats... :)

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2008/mini/cooper/s_convertible/1255/crash_test_ratings/index.html

It does well in side crashes, but that doesn't mention the bumper height issues. On their site they talk about how the door and sides have much more safety features in them to make up for a lack of a B or even a solid C pillar. I suppose an SUV versus the side would end up just the way it would for any other car of that size.

Wendy

Dawn

Wendy I am completely with you on the mini. I want one. If you get one I definately want to see your carseats installed. If I didn't have 4 children,lol.

daycaremom2002

Wendy, I have seen pictures of wrecked MINIs and they do very well. I think that it will take a little extra work to put the kids in the back(like most 2 door vehicles), but the front seat slides pretty far forward. You won't have a problem getting the seats in the back. I put a RF MA in for pictures a while back, and got a decent recline without taking too much legroom from the front passenger. I know a lot of people over on the MINI forums talk about putting the baby in from the rear hatch, but you can't do that in the convertible.

I would be totally comfortable putting little ones in the MINI. My kids are older, but they ride back there with no problems. They love it. Go search over on the MINI forums and I am sure you will get a lot of replies about the safety factor. Be careful asking about seat fits because most of these people are car people, not carseat people.:( I have tried to correct problems when I see them, but I don't hang out there much anymore. There are quite a few people with little ones in the MINI though. There a quite a few threads about it.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks! I found your posts when I was doing some searches earlier. I was thrilled to see how well seats fit in there rear facing. We've had Piper's Wizard and Radian in forward facing, so I know she's good to go.

I'm only 5'1", so I'm not worried about moving a seat forward. LOL I have to sit with the seat all the way forward anyway so I can reach the clutch. And obviously, if the four of us are going somewhere together then we'll take Nathan's car. Or if it's a short drive Piper can sit crosslegged with Nathan in front of her, but I'd really rather not.

Wendy

daycaremom2002

She might not have to cross her legs. My 14yo rides back there with plenty of legroom. I am 5'6" and I still have plenty of room with her back there.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Nathan needs the seat far back enough that it would pretty much cut off any leg room for her. He's 5'10" or 6' or so. He can sit behind me, though, and stretch out.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC