Britax Bodyguard?

U

Unregistered

Hello!
I am in the market for a booster seat and see some Britax Bodyguards on sale. I guess they're not making them any more, but do you know why? I know they have those lock-offs for the lap belt. Are they a pain? Do they offer a safety advantage? Or disadvantage? I am also considering the Parkway. Please feel free to share your oppinions about which you prefer.
Thank you!

ADS

Tara

We have one of each. The BG lock offs could be a bit of a pain. My 8 yr old handles them fine, but my 6 yr old, I'm sure he'd fumble. The PW is nice, has plush, comfy cover, more attractive styling. *Looks* like it'd be more comfortable. My 6 yr old has never had a problem with it.

Personally, I'd do a PW again in a minute. But the BG isn't a bad option, really, it's not. If it's on sale and fits your budget better than a PW, then by all means, get the BG. But if it being on sale really doesn't matter...I'd choose the PW. They're just really nice seats. Straightforward, easy to use, great protection.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

scatterbunny

The BG is heavier, and boosters, by law, aren't supposed to weigh more than a certain amount. To get around this weight limit Britax added the lapbelt lockoffs, which can be viewed as a safety benefit (it limits a wiggly child's movement somewhat), but the primary reason was to decrease the weight of the booster loading onto the child in a crash.

We love our Parkway. It is very well padded, I think more padded than the Bodyguard. I like that there are no armrests or lockoffs to get in the way of buckling, especially next to another carseat or booster.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
We have the Bodyguard, Parkway, StarRiserComfy, Turbo & some flimsy Cosco backless thing, plus the Recaro Young Sport.... The Parkway is our Favorite, followed by the SRC for travel -- the *only* reason I think anyone should get a Bodyugard is if their vehicle is made before 1996 & has no manual seat belt locking mechanism ... even then, if affordable, the Recaro Young Start is a better choice. (the RYStart is probably the best choice regardless, but especially for older vehicles because it has shoulder belt lock offs). The lap belt lock offs of the BG are difficult at best & nearly impossible for children to use on their own. Between Britax boosters, the Parkway is our favorite.

skaterbabs

FWIW, I would NOT choose the BG for the locking lapbelt - that will NOT keep a wiggly kid still. The lap portion of the l/s belts in the Caddy had switchable retractors and locking the lapbelt did nothing to prevent wiggle-worm syndrome. :rolleyes:

U

Unregistered

Thank you all...

...for your thoughts! I think I'll go for the Parkway in that girly Tiffany print!

U

Unregistered

skaterbabscpst said:
FWIW, I would NOT choose the BG for the locking lapbelt - that will NOT keep a wiggly kid still.
True, for most kids -- although, 1 of my nieces has a constant habit of loosening her lap belts because she has Irritable Bowel can't stand the pressure anywhere near her belly, even though belt is under belly (it's a habit developed mostly from NOT using a booster with her parents *SIGH*) & the Bodyguard helps her with that, but so does the manual locking latch plate or, most of all, the ALR ... the locking shoulder belt is key for all the other kids, especially young ones -- using an ALR belt with the BG is really a PITB because sometimes the belt gets stuck inside the lock offs & I've had to wiggle the booster all around to get the belt unstuck (much easier with the Parkway!) ;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Sorry! That post was from me ... logging in isn't working for me unless I click the Remember Me option -- but, then after I close & come back it doesn't remember me :confused: It might be this computer; I'm in a hotel using a friend's laptop.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC