Question What age does RF tethering become beneficial?

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
At what age does RF tethering become beneficial?

I've picked up from this board and my perusal of other boards that RF tethering is particularly safer for older kids (but might not be a good idea for infants?). I just am unsure of what age do the benefits of tethering RF outweigh the risks. Even if RF tethering is safe for any age, when does it become even more beneficial? Why is it more important for older kids, and at what age is meant by older? My son is 9 months old, and while he'll probably fit in his SS1 for a least 6 more months (and I'm loving the canopy during the summer), I'm just wondering if he is at an age where he would benefit from a tether.

I know RF in and of itself is safe, regardless of the tether, but if he might be better off with a tether, I'd like to know. (I promise I'm really interested in this and not just looking for an excuse to buy one of the new 35 pound Britax seats :).)

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Personally, until I see studies that advise differently, I will tether my "tetherable" seats RF from the time I start using them (around 4 to 8 months).

I don't see any risks associated with RF-tethering. While the benefits may not be proven, I do like the idea that the tether may add additional stability to the seat. I also like the idea that an older child, whose shoulders and head may be projecting past the edge of the shell of the seat (the sides of the shell, not the top), will not be cocooned into the seat back.

So, I don't think I have answered your question, but I use the RF tether the entire time I am using the seat RF.

Like I said, until I am told otherwise and can see studies to back up claims, I will use the RF tether for infants and toddlers.

sunnymw

(I promise I'm really interested in this and not just looking for an excuse to buy one of the new 35 pound Britax seats .)

Don't lie, this was totally a bargaining chip for me when convincing DH ;) LOL. You'll have to get one anyway, right? So why not now? :D

BW1426

I think you're absolutely fine. I only second guess RF tethering with a newborn. Once a baby gains a little more head control, I would hands down tether RF.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If it's labeled on the seat that it's ok from birth, then that's what I'd do. One anonymous company that reports slightly increased neck loads on dummies in tethered RF seats isn't really convincing evidence to me that tethering is ever harmful, at any age (Britax Handle With Care and Combi (I forget it's name!) were RF tetherable infant seats....).

But that said, I'd put even my tall 2 yo rf in an untethered seat, better RF untethered than FF any day ;)

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Thank you everyone for your responses! I just found an MA on clearance for $188 at Target with a DOM of 3/08 while I was out shopping, so I decided to get that for my daughter and pass her BV down to my son, so I'll be sure to tether the BV for him.

Don't lie, this was totally a bargaining chip for me when convincing DH ;) LOL. You'll have to get one anyway, right? So why not now? :D
Hee, well, I just couldn't pass up the $188 MA, but originally I thought I would leave my son in the SS1 until my daughter hit 33 pounds, then pass down the Boulevard and get my daughter a Regent/Nautilus/Frontier, but with the new 35 pound seats that are out on the market, I was thinking about how it would be nice to have the extra 2 pounds and a RF tether on both kids' seats.

I know it would have made more sense financially to pass down her seat and get her a FF only seat when she hits 33 pounds (she's only 29 now), but I really want to keep them RF as long as possible. (And my son weighs at 9 months what my daughter weighed at 15 months, so the extra 2 pounds might make more of a difference for him. Or maybe the mythical 40 pound RF Radians might be out by then, and I'll have to buy yet another seat!)

Kat_Momof3

If I remember correctly (it's been awhile since this applied to me)... it's only considered a risk for newborns... it's fine for 4mo and up... and it becomes safer around the time a baby gets closer to the limit... so about 1yr and older.

But don't quote me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC