Do you bring cars seats AND children on test drives?

serabi

We've only ever test driven at Carmax, but the sales people have never given us a hard time. The latest test drive, the sales person assumed we were putting our then 18 month old in RFing even. :thumbsup:

ADS

christineka

I have and I will. I want to make sure the seats all fit and that the kids can get in/out comfortably. Or at least it is doable. We'd then take the kids and myself home and have dh go back to deal with the paperwork.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Do two test drives - one with the kids, one without.

I made the mistake of just checking out the car for carseat/booster installs without doing a test drive (came in later w/o kids for the test drive) and that's how I wound up with the nasty mess in seating my kids in the 3rd row. I can't say for sure I'd have noticed it before buying, since it was something that I didn't realize until about the 80th time I yelled at the kids for being so poorly positioned :D , but it definitely wasn't noticeable without a test drive with the kids.

essnce629

We've test drove a bunch of cars even though we don't plan on buying anything till next year, but we've always taken our son along with his seat (sometimes even two seats since we plan to get pregnant soon). I've never had any salespeople give us any trouble. They usually just leave us alone for a while so I can get to installing the seats on my own. I like taking our son with us because even though I could install the seats without him, with him I can actually see how much legroom he really has in the car.

Heather98012

We've test drove a bunch of cars even though we don't plan on buying anything till next year, but we've always taken our son along with his seat (sometimes even two seats since we plan to get pregnant soon). I've never had any salespeople give us any trouble. They usually just leave us alone for a while so I can get to installing the seats on my own. I like taking our son with us because even though I could install the seats without him, with him I can actually see how much legroom he really has in the car.

Is your SO still thinking about the Infiniti G35? I remember you lived the Scion XB but didn't his mom talk him out of it?

Kat_Momof3

I have to agree with Debbie on her point about the seatbelts.

I didn't have any kids old enough for that at the time we bought our van, so I hauled my big ol' butt into every rear seat in the Caravan (poor sales guy probably thought I was coocoo.

But since I was comfy in the third row, I knew a teenager would be.

I also put in Ruthie's carseat at the time (an Evenflo Triumph Rearfacing) just to see how much room it would take up, to see if I wanted to try to put it in the third row... I did NOT at the time), but I didn't take her with me on the test drive. She was napping in her stroller and I didn't see the point in disturbing her, so I left her with my BIL and dh, along with the boys, and enjoyed the quiet for a few minutes.

But that also helped because, when DH took the kids home, he didn't tell them which vehicle we were getting, so it was a big surprise to them later on when I brought the van home two days later to come out and see what we got... and boy were they thrilled.

monstah

What carseats do you have? Are you using them forward or rear-facing? If you try out the carseats, please let me know what you find with the installation. We're also looking at the 2009 Forester - but my biggest concern is carseat installation because it sounds like the Subaru cars have issues.

Melanie

I went and looked at the Forester today totally solo, no kids, no car seats. The "hump" in the center backseat is MUCH less pronounced, almost nonexistent, but it is there. Hopefully I will be able to go and give it a real test, car seats and all. The backseat did seem pretty big, def bigger than 2008 and it has more of an SUV look to it. It seemed to have plenty of cargo room and the salesman quoted the barrier at "like $150". (I love the barrier)
I didn't go for a test drive, I was in a bit of a rush and only played around in the showroom for a minute.
As long as the carseats work out, we are going to get a Forester. :D
I'm pumped!! :):D:)

niccig

I went and looked at the Forester today totally solo, no kids, no car seats. The "hump" in the center backseat is MUCH less pronounced, almost nonexistent, but it is there. Hopefully I will be able to go and give it a real test, car seats and all. The backseat did seem pretty big, def bigger than 2008 and it has more of an SUV look to it. It seemed to have plenty of cargo room and the salesman quoted the barrier at "like $150". (I love the barrier)
I didn't go for a test drive, I was in a bit of a rush and only played around in the showroom for a minute.
As long as the carseats work out, we are going to get a Forester. :D
I'm pumped!! :):D:)

Barrier? Do you mean the cargo barrier between the back seat and the cargo area? Double check it, because in our old Subaru (Tribeca) you could not have the barrier installed and use the top tether of a FF car seat. Would hate for you to pay $150 and not be able to use it with children that FF.

monstah

Barrier? Do you mean the cargo barrier between the back seat and the cargo area? Double check it, because in our old Subaru (Tribeca) you could not have the barrier installed and use the top tether of a FF car seat. Would hate for you to pay $150 and not be able to use it with children that FF.

OOH - That would not be good at all. My all time favorite feature is the pet barrier.
I will absolutely look into that!

If you can't use the barrier while using top tethers, that would probably send us back to the 2007 Honda CR-V (in 2nd place right now, followed by the Mazda CX-7)

But I am REALLY digging the Subaru.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I've never had a salesman tell me not to bring my kids. I've had them be slightly irritates with me for taking so much time, however. I just took it personally (i.e., I thought the sales guy was a jerk and that I didn't want him to get the commission for the sale if I bought that vehicle). Most of the time, though, they're fine with it, and I've had them asking me questions about seats/installations a couple of times.

OOH - That would not be good at all. My all time favorite feature is the pet barrier.

Also be aware, there are safety issues associated with pressure mounted barriers. Definitely find out if Subaru crash tests the barriers, and if so, how.

Past threads:
Pet gate or no?
OT: Car safety for dog

Kat_Momof3

On the subject of the sales guys... and commission... that's probably why I expect them not to give me any issue or problem. In fact, I expect them to be understanding and courteous... WHY?? Because they work STRICTLY on commission. Every sale counts. And with gas prices and everything, sales can't be going as well as they did before. So I would expect a lot.

niccig

On the subject of the sales guys... and commission... that's probably why I expect them not to give me any issue or problem. In fact, I expect them to be understanding and courteous... WHY?? Because they work STRICTLY on commission. Every sale counts. And with gas prices and everything, sales can't be going as well as they did before. So I would expect a lot.

I lugged our Safeguard seat into several dealerships, and I didn't even ask. I just went and got the car seat and started to install it. By the last dealership on a very long and hot day, DH was so annoyed with me as I installed it in every position with LATCH and seatbelt, he told the salesman that the car seat fitting was a deal breaker to me and it was to be my car. I've never seen someone move so fast to help me install it and then talk about how well it worked in the car. :p

niccig

I will absolutely look into that!

If you can't use the barrier while using top tethers, that would probably send us back to the 2007 Honda CR-V (in 2nd place right now, followed by the Mazda CX-7)

But I am REALLY digging the Subaru.

We went from a Subaru Tribeca to a 2008 CRV. And I love the CRV. At first I did notice that the CRV handling wasn't quite as good and it was a little noisy, but now 1 month later, I can't even remember how the Subaru was. I do think car seats are better in the CRV, even despite Latch limit of 40lbs, as the Subaru passenger seat had to be too far forward for a RF seat. And the CRV seat width is just a tad shorter than the Tribeca and I think the Tribeca was much bigger than the Forrester. Just something to consider as I wanted to make sure I could get DS and 2 adults comfortable in the back seat, and I can do that in the CRV.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'll be the odd one out. I just bought a new-to-me car. I did not bring along my carseat. I checked out the backseat and was reasonably confident that even if I couldn't get my Radian installed, I'd be able to get a Nauti or Frontier in. The car was $1000-$1500 below blue book, so even if I had to buy a new seat, it was still a good deal. (And the Radian fit very nicely after all.)

Northriver

I've taken my carseats with me to test drive kids ever since I had carseats, so for over 10 years now. It can really break a deal. I initially like the Honda Element but the seats are removable, and I couldn't find an anchor for the rear facing tether and the salesman was totally clueless, so crossed that one off the list asap. I finally bought at Rav4 but couldn't get a good install and didn't make the purchase until after I read the manual and then actually called someone at Toyata with some knowlede of car seat installation that could address my concerns.

When I purchased my most recent car, I took my Roundabout and my Marathon with me to every dealership in town and made sure I could get a good install both rearfacing and forward facing. No one ever questioned my maddness! I will say it is much easier without the kids, though. I would often take one of my parents and let them wait with the kids in the waiting room while I did the test drive. That way I was also testing out the waiting room, where I have to sit, with my kids, while I get my vehicle worked on. I like clean safe waiting room, obviously.

My oldest child will be getting a drivers liscence soon and my parents seem to think he can pick out his own car. But no way am I going to buy him a car that isn't compatible with our carseats, I'm sure at some point he'll need to drive his sister around or there will be a time when I'll need to drive his car. I won't even consider owning a car that won't work with my carseats, even if I don't plan to have on permenantly installed.

loufrando

I'm not in the market right now (but I hope to be in the next year- I want a van!) but next time I go car shopping, I will definitely bring my carseats to make sure they fit first. I don't know about bringing the kids though.

I think having the car be carseat compatible is a huge deal breaker, especially since I am the one always installing them! I would totally pick the car with more tether anchors, longer seat belts, wider seats, higher LATCH limit, etc... if I couldn't choose between two comparible cars (i.e. my current Odyssey/Sienna dilemna, lol)

I do see Debbie's point about making sure booster age and up kids fit the seatbelts well (as in the Mazda 3rd row weird seatbelt situation she's in). I will keep that in mind when my kids get older.

The thread about the Honda Element's suicide-type back doors making rfing in that car almost impossible also comes to mind as far as making sure that the carseats/kids not only fit, but are easy to get in and out. That would be something that you would notice when actually trying to huck your actual kid into the seat. So maybe I'd do a preliminary visit where I install the seats myself and check out the cars and then a final visit with the kids right before the final deal.

I don't think a salesman should ever give any attitude about people installing the carseats- this is going to be how you use your car every day in real life and you are right to make sure that it functions well that way! And they are making commision off of you; being nice to you and wanting you to be happy with the car in every way is their JOB.

KBecks

I haven't had a problem with dealers and getting car seats in. However, I wouldn't take the kids until you have driven it alone first. I'd do a first pass while leaving the rest of the family at home, perhaps send the other parent to do a solo drive and then, if the vehicle is acceptable and you've narrowed it down to one or two choices, then do it with the family.

1girltwinboyz

yes we put both infant bases and carseats (w/Latch) in RF of courses in the honda ody we went to look at and dd's booster in the backseat. The honda dealer was clueless too but did not object at all (I was 5 month pg with twins so he might have realzed not to pi$$ me off LOL).

Then we we bought a used suburban, we installed all 3 seats in the middle row before driving it. We fit dd's britax booster on one end, two MAs RF in middle and other end:thumbsup: We bought it and ended up taking out back seat for STUFF. It was a tight fit and we had to buckle dd in as the clip was hard to find. But it worked for the short time we owned it.

We preferred the honda ody for long trips but dh ran the diesel burb on biodiesel which was about 1/5 the price of gas:thumbsup: We hope to convert a mercedes wagon diesel again when all 3 can sit across the back seat...

anyways..sorry for the off topic...;):p

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
We were considering buying a truck last spring, so my parents bought us the infant seat so I could make sure it fit. I had done a BRU fit in my car, so I wasn't concerned about it. When we get our next car, I will take my seats to make sure they work for day care.

Susan

We unwillingly got rid of our BMW cuz the car seat didn't fit well in it. I told the sales people that was the reason. The two or three I remember doing this to had no problems with me testing out my car seat in their cars as well as throwing the stroller in the trunk. One even asked me a bunch of questions cuz he knew he was clueless and wanted to be able to answer questions from future car buyers. Granted, these were all at Lexus and they're known for their nice sales/service depts, but since they're commission based, I can't imagine why any decent sales person would have a problem with it. If anything, it lets them know your priorities and they can then customize their sales pitch.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC