Do you bring cars seats AND children on test drives?

monstah

We want to go test drive a Subaru Forester, can we bring two kids in car seats? Will they give me a hard time at the dealer?

ADS

Mom to a few

We want to go test drive a Subaru Forester, can we bring two kids in car seats? Will they give me a hard time at the dealer?

They've never given me a hard time. Generally, they want to make potential buyers as happy as possible.

However, I'd recommend leaving the kids at home. Yes, you need to know if their carseats will install well in the vehicle, but having the kids with you is usually just a distraction that you don't need when you are trying to make an important decision. It's hard for me to concentrate on which features I like, what the salesperson is saying, etc when the kids are trying to wander away--or they want your undivided attention--like they do every time the phone rings ;) I've always felt like the kids would like (or learn to like) any vehicle we bought, so I didn't want them to feel like they had a choice during the decision-making process. I'd rather base my decision on the important factors (safety, price, safety, reliability, etc), and not because the kids liked the "other one" better. I'm not saying that's what your kids would do. I'm just telling you why we quit taking our kids to look at cars a couple of years ago :whistle:. I prefer to think and make important decisions in silence!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I spent just as much time examining the backseat of my car (before I bought it) as I did examining the rest of the car as a whole. I also asked if I could try installing a couple different carseats into the backseat. The dealer was more than happy to oblige if it meant that he might sell that vehicle. :p

kittykate

We test drove a Nissan Versa over the weekend, with both boys in their carseats.

I told the dealer it was not negotiable- either he let us install the seats (and I made him sit through me trying both seats with the seatbelt and LATCH) and test drive with the boys, or we were going to find a dealership that would. After all, I'm not going to buy a car that I don't know will fit my whole family comfortably.

The salesman wasn't too happy about it, but he did let us!

MomToEliEm

I've installed carseats at the car dealership, but didn't bring the kids along. I just wanted to make sure that the seats would fit well. I didn't want the distraction of the kids around though while checking out cars.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The salesman wasn't too happy about it, but he did let us!

My salesman was nice about it, but he was clueless. He kept making weird comments about the seats I was installing (convertibles). He said something to the effect of, "Can't they just use the seatbelt after they use that carrier thing?" He also said, "Those LATCH things are useless because there aren't any seats on the market that use them."

He knew about the engine, electrical system, etc., so I was willing to forgive the ignorance about carseats. :p

BW1426

I took both kids and carseats a couple of times. The rest of the times I just took the carseats. I liked taking the kids with me, but frankly it was 5 thousand times easier to just take the seats :whistle:

kittykate

My salesman was nice about it, but he was clueless. He kept making weird comments about the seats I was installing (convertibles). He said something to the effect of, "Can't they just use the seatbelt after they use that carrier thing?" He also said, "Those LATCH things are useless because there aren't any seats on the market that use them."

He knew about the engine, electrical system, etc., so I was willing to forgive the ignorance about carseats. :p

Our salesman was the same, he kept telling me that Nissan doesn't allow kids past one year to be rear facing when he saw me put my 2 year old's car seat in. Boy did he have egg on his face when I whipped the manual out of the glove box and showed him that Nissan recommends that children stay rear facing to the limits of their seats.

The sad part was that he said his own two and three year old were in boosters :( (and my husband gave me the glare that said "don't you dare go off on your crazy car-seat lecture," so I had to hold my tongue)

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
My salesman was nice about it, but he was clueless. He kept making weird comments about the seats I was installing.

I've had that experience too. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't usually bring DS or his seat for the initial test drive, but I will certainly comb the back seat the first time I see it. Before the deal is sealed, I will do a test install. We really only go to the dealership for a test drive, we do most of our research ahead of time - we're really not too interested in what the salesperson has to say until we start talking price. :p

monstah

We have done tons of research and really like the Forester wagon. We just want to know how well we will all fit. We aren't ready to talk deal yet, since we want a 2009 and we have to wait for DH's bonus, so I was thinking that bringing the kids in was a good distraction and easy out, so we don't end up at the negotiating table unprepared.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I was thinking that bringing the kids in was a good distraction and easy out, so we don't end up at the negotiating table unprepared.

Ha! We've used that excuse too :thumbsup: (it does work really well, although we did have one guy literally chasing us out the door with crying DS in tow :rolleyes:)

BW1426

We have done tons of research and really like the Forester wagon. We just want to know how well we will all fit. We aren't ready to talk deal yet, since we want a 2009 and we have to wait for DH's bonus, so I was thinking that bringing the kids in was a good distraction and easy out, so we don't end up at the negotiating table unprepared.

I'd take your seats and test them out on a day you don't have the kids. That way you can easily test with and without LATCH and test each seat in different positions.

Do you guys see a third child anywhere in your future?

skaterbabs

When the kids were all in seats, no, we didn't take them. Now, we need to take at least CJ to see if he'll need a booster or not.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I always test install carseats before even test driving the car. I've done it both with and without kids along. My preference would be to go on a scouting mission minus kids first if possible. I never have had a hassle with the car sales staff about this and made it pretty clear to them that if the carseats couldn't be installed, then there was going to be no progress toward making a sale. Happy car shopping and let us know how your test install/test drive goes in the new Forester. I hear the back seat is roomier with the redesigned '09 model.

Jan06twinmom

What carseats do you have? Are you using them forward or rear-facing? If you try out the carseats, please let me know what you find with the installation. We're also looking at the 2009 Forester - but my biggest concern is carseat installation because it sounds like the Subaru cars have issues.

Melanie

monstah

What carseats do you have? Are you using them forward or rear-facing? If you try out the carseats, please let me know what you find with the installation. We're also looking at the 2009 Forester - but my biggest concern is carseat installation because it sounds like the Subaru cars have issues.

Melanie

No prob :thumbsup:
I can't wait to see the newly redesigned backseat. Maybe I can sneak to the dealer tonight solo... :2thumbsup:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I tested the Apex in the Smart, but didn't take Bekah on the test drive, since it is only a two seater! I would have, if I could though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC