Do you bring cars seats AND children on test drives?

emandbri

When I bought my first car I did some test drives with Daniel while Jacob was in school, nobody ever gave me a hard time.

When I bought our first van I had Jacob and Daniel with me and I nobody gave me a hard time about it then either.

I decided to check out the 2005 sienna's and did a test drive and had Benjamin with me and the guy didn't care either. He was SOOOO pushy though really turned me off. He would say things like "don't you want to buy this van today?" I told him I can't buy a van without my husband seeing it and he said "really would he mind? hum let's see would my husband mind if I bought a brand new van without telling him? :rolleyes:

Our van now I bought online and had it shipped in but took all 4 kids with us to go see it, we were in Omaha and drove to Kansas City. We bought it from carmax and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them! Not only did they not care that we had all the kids when we test drove it but they also had someone to watch the kids in the play area while we filled out the paper work. We will be buying our next car from carmax even though there isn't one in st. Louis, we will drive to chicago or Kansas City.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I test car seats but it's not a deal breaker for me if they don't fit because I don't mind a good reason to buy a new seat. Actually, when I bought the Armada I didn't try even one car seat in it, now that I think about it.

But years ago when I bought the Altima (99) I not only tried all my seats in it (had to fit 3 in a row) but I talked the sales guy into letting me check his DS car seat when he mentioned that he didn't realize you had to install seats so tightly.

BW1426

The reason I bought a new car was so I could easily get three across. So, I absolutely took the carseats. Sometimes I took the kids (I test drove a lot of vehicles), but I always took the carseats.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The Armada is so big, do they even make a car seat that wouldn't fit in there? :)
Big vehicle does NOT equal easy installation.While I could easily get any 3-in-a-row I want (including 3 Regents) it isn't easy to actually install them correctly.

Actually, the Armada has fixed, rigid, forward of the bight seat belts in the second row outboard seats that make installation a PITA. It takes me a good 30 min to install a Regent SBP in those spots. The RN is just plain incompatible with those spots. But I'm good, and I'm persistent, and there are a lot of seating positions to choose from so I knew I would be able to make something work somewhere.

macbump

We want to go test drive a Subaru Forester, can we bring two kids in car seats? Will they give me a hard time at the dealer?

I don't know if they will or not...dealers vary greatly. But my SIL recently revealed how *she* car-shops. She goes and test-drives alone, several cars. Narrows it down to the ones she wants to try a bit better...and says to the dealer "I need this car for an entire day or overnight preferably, when can I do that?". ;-) Some of them refuse, some give the evil eye, all look astounded. The ones who are *serious* about selling a car let her. Sometimes it takes, for example, 2-3 Mazda dealerships before finding one that will let her do that...but she is a fiesty pushy baggage. ;-) Then she takes them home, tries out all the configurations she could possibly want and does a massive grocery shop up and a bit of highway driving with the car...she says no way is she going to buy a 20-30 grand piece of metal with only 15 minutes worth of test driving...and she has a point! ;-)

Fio

brittany741

Any good dealership will let you do an overnight test drive. DH is in the car business and this is a standard practice. If they won't let you take it overnight, move on.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My husband used to sell Toyotas and he used to ASK parents if they wanted to try their carseats in the car before they committed to buy. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC