Question Eddie Bauer 3in1 Deluxe

U

Unregistered

Any good as a rarely used 2nd seat for our 2nd car?

I like that it goes to 80 lbs as belt positioning booster. They wont ride that much in the second car, usually for short trips here and there on the weekend in an effort to save gas. Would there be a better cheap alternative that would "cover" us for the same amount of time without having to buy another seat/booster?

Thanks for your advice.

Andrea
GTA, Ontario, Canada

ADS

BW1426

They have low top slots so don't usually last a child until 4 in harness mode and they make terrible boosters.

Do you need it for rearfacing or just for forward facing?

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Most kids don't make it to 4yrs and 40lbs in the 3in1 seats, and they really don't fit most kids well in booster mode at all. Provided that you're aware that you'll likely need to replace the seat when your kiddo is around the age of 3 or 3.5, then they're not an awful seat, but for the price, you can get a whole lot more seat.

I'd suggest looking in to the Evenflo triumph advance (EFTA,) and the True Fit (TF,) both of which will cost the same or less than the EB 3in1 (depending on if you're buying the 3in1 on sale or not,) and will last most kids until they are both big enough and old enough to be in a booster. Then you can buy a good dedicated booster when the time comes.

If you're planning to pass the seat down anyways, and realize that it will have to be replaced with another harnessed seat at some point, and that it isn't really usable as a booster, then it really isn't an awful seat. You can just get better for the same money.

Also keep in mind that the uppermost adjustment for the harness height can only be used for booster mode, so the harness doesn't go as high as it might seem when you play with it in store. :thumbsup: (The top harness height is around 15 to 15.5". Not awful when looking at convertible seats, but it's not great either... the other seats I mentioned have 17.25 to 17.5" top slots, so you can see they'll last a lot longer than the EB would.)

trinity991

We have one, as does one of my friends, and it won't last you long as a booster. My friend's dd is not even 4 and she's on the the top harness slot and the seat is getting very uncomfortable for her. I agree with snowbird, the EFTA or the TF would be better options, especially when you compare the prices. On BRU website, the Eddie Bauer is $229 and the TF is $199 and it will last you longer. I'm not sure how much the EFTA is but I believe it is cheaper than the TF?

U

Unregistered

Thanks for your suggestions. My twins are 8 months old on Thursday. They are currently around 16-17lbs and maybe 26-27 inches. They still fit quite well in their snug rides.

I have already purchased the TruFit for my van, which is where they travel the most. A matching set.

The EB 3in1 I got for $129 on sale, which is a fabulous price. However, if they are no good, I will return them.

I am looking for a cheap alternative for our second car. Which is a 2004 Suzuki Swift - 4 door hatch. (AKA: Pontiac Wave, Chevy Aveo). The car has LATCH for FF tethering?(back strap). However, the seat has to be installed with 3 pt seat belts both RF and FF. It is a subcompact.

Are we dreaming we can get a RFing seat in there? Will we just have to wait until they fit FFing?

Please advise.

Thanks for all your help

canadiangie

Hi,

I'm just guessing that since you're referring to the 3-in-1 as a cost friendly seat you're looking at a $140-$160 version... rather than the $230 version with the Eddie Bauer logo sewn onto the fabric?

Either way, they're both the same seat, and it's actually a fairly expensive seat when you break down how much use you'll really get out of it.

Yes, it says it will be the only seat you need, but it rarely, if ever, is.

The top useable harness slots measure 15 inches. That number refers directly to a child's seated torso height. In other words, once your child's bum to shoulder measurement is about 15 inches he'll be too tall to use the harness. For most kids this happens around age 3 and about 32-37lbs give or take. Very few children can get to 40lbs with 15 inch top slots. And children in Canada Must be at least 40lbs to use a booster seat.

As a booster seat it's far from excellent. The seat shell is too short, it just can't extend tall enough for most kids to make it past age 4-5. The shape of the seat shell usually forces the lap portion of the seatbelt to sit too far away from the child.

Don't get caught up in finding a seat that will take your child from now until forever.

If you need a forward facing to booster seat, we can help with that.

If you need a rear facing to forward facing seat, we can help with that.

Maybe post back with your child's age and weight and we can go from there. :thumbsup:

skaterbabs

I'm not sure what the price is in Canada, but I believe you can get the Evenflo Triumph Advance (EFTA)? I'd suggest that or the Cosco Scenera for your less-used vehicle. The EFTA is a GREAT seat, and I think you can find the Scenera for $100 or so (again, not sure of the CD price.) The Scenera is preferred to the 3 in 1 seats because it lasts just as long RF without the "stuff" that makes the 3 in 1 seats poor choices FF and as boosters. You'll still need a taller/higher weight limit FF seat later, but for the price it's hard to beat the Scenera.

canadiangie

Thanks for your suggestions. My twins are 8 months old on Thursday. They are currently around 16-17lbs and maybe 26-27 inches. They still fit quite well in their snug rides.

I have already purchased the TruFit for my van, which is where they travel the most. A matching set.

The EB 3in1 I got for $129 on sale, which is a fabulous price. However, if they are no good, I will return them.

I am looking for a cheap alternative for our second car. Which is a 2004 Suzuki Swift - 4 door hatch. (AKA: Pontiac Wave, Chevy Aveo). The car has LATCH for FF tethering?(back strap). However, the seat has to be installed with 3 pt seat belts both RF and FF. It is a subcompact.

Are we dreaming we can get a RFing seat in there? Will we just have to wait until they fit FFing?

Please advise.

Thanks for all your help

A 2004 should have Lower Anchors (part of the acronym LATCH) buried in the crease of the backseat. Dig your hands in there (like where your tail bone would sit against the vehicle seat) and look/feel for two sets of metal "loops". It sounds like you have top Tether strap anchors (the "T" in LATCH by the way), so that's great for when the babies are forward facing (sometime around 30lbs or closer to age 2 is the new recommendation for forward facing).

But, if you don't have Lower Anchors (LATCH), that's fine too. Using a seatbelt to install a car seat is equally safe to using LATCH. Generally speaking you use whichever method gives you the best install. LATCH is just an alternative, not a necessity. (top Tethering for forward facing seats is however manditory).

Anyway, assuming your vehicle has no restrictions on a car seat touching the back of the front seat (check owner's manual), you will be able to install your rear facing seats a bit more upright since the babies aren't newborns, and be able to have their car seats leaning against the front seat(s). What this all means is you should be fine having rear facing seats in your compact car.

For $120 you could get the Evenflo Triumph Advance. They have tall top slots (17") and last most kids to age 5+. They harness to 47lbs, and have infinite harness adjustment (handy feature). They have eps side impact foam. Really, for $120 (wal-mart) they're a fabulous seat. The only drawback to them is that the harness adjustment knobs can sometimes dig into the vehicle seat. This makes it hard to access the adjustment knobs - though it's not impossible, just a bit awkward. Not a deal breaker that's for sure.

I have to run, baby is crying...

hope this helps,

BW1426

I second the Evenflo Triumph Advance. It is a much better buy for the money. And, I think you'll be much happier with the install and the amount of front to back room it takes up when RF.

featherhead

I think I would go for the EFTA as well. I had to install a Scenera in my car RF yesterday, boy was that not fun! I did go buy a pool noodle, and I think that might help. Scenera's are $70 at Walmart. They are an ok seat, but if you have the money for the EFTA, then go for it.

April

I also vote either Scenaras for now knowing that you'll need combination (forward facing harness + booster, not 3in1) seats in a few years, or just go for the EFTAs now. I honestly wouldn't buy a 3 in 1 if they were $80. I would rather spend it on a no frills Scenera that will last longer. I think you will really like the EFTAs. They are nice cushy easy to use seats.

snowbird25ca

I also vote either Scenaras for now knowing that you'll need combination (forward facing harness + booster, not 3in1) seats in a few years, or just go for the EFTAs now. I honestly wouldn't buy a 3 in 1 if they were $80. I would rather spend it on a no frills Scenera that will last longer. I think you will really like the EFTAs. They are nice cushy easy to use seats.

Technically speaking, the Scenera won't last any longer than the 3in1 seats, and most 3in1 seats will last just slightly longer in terms of top harness height. (15" for the Scenera, 15 to 15.5" for the 3in1's depending on model.)

I would honestly go with the EFTA now if it works for you guys... not much price difference between it and the 3in1 you bought already, and it will last much much longer.

The Scenera might be cheaper, but will definitely be outgrown soon the same way as the 3in1. For those needing to spend as little as possible, it's a good option - especially in the US where they can get them for $40, but if OP can swing an EFTA, I'd rather that or even the 3in1 since I know the wal-mart ones have EPP foam in the headrest. IMO the extra money for a 3in1 over the Scenera is worth it for the foam. Just make sure that the stock you're buying has foam in the headrest - I'm not sure exactly when they switched, but a store with older stock could still have seats w/o the foam. :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

The one’s I’d purchased were the EB 3in1 that retail for 229.99 cdn. The Bay had them on for $100 off, so I got them for $129.99 which I thought was a great deal.

However, based on all your recommendations we just went out and bought the EFTA. I went to BRU with both vehicles to try to “try it out”, but they said they don’t do that and have never heard of it?? Is it only in the states? Then, they had the Triumph only labeled as such, but said RF to 30lbs. I asked if it was EFTA, they had to check. Then told me it is the Triumph, not Advanced as that is only sold in the US. I said, no and that Sears carried it… So we went to Sears!!  Shouldn’t they know their own products??

RE: EFTA – Is there a typo on the stickering? It says RF to 9kg or 20 lbs only, but the box and advertising says 30lbs?? I’m confused!

Canadiancarseatqueen – The Lower Anchors I found!! After reading the Owner’s Manual (thanks for referring me there!). FYI: In a 2004+ Swift, the LA are in the seat cushion and you have to unzip the seat to find them!! But they are there! Thanks for your help!

Snowbird25ca – Thanks for the tip re: some models w/o the foam. The ones I bought have them.

My DH is 6’2 and drives the car, so the RF front-to-back is a big concern for us! That’s why I was wondering when they don’t have to be 45 deg recline. Glad to know.

Oh, the car manual doesn’t mention any restriction of child restraints touching the back of the car seat. Should I just assume it’s alright then??

Thank you all, you’ve been so helpful in decision making!

Andrea
GTA, Ontario, Canada

canadiangie

Is there a typo on the stickering? It says RF to 9kg or 20 lbs only, but the box and advertising says 30lbs?? I’m confused!

Yes, this is confusing for so many parents. It's just worded funny. What they mean to say is that babies under 9kg or 20lbs can "only" be rear facing. Meaning, they cannot be forward facing. You have the option of rear facing up to 30lbs which is of course what is recommended (and to be clear about that, it's 30lbs or until there is 1" of hard seat shell above baby's head; whichever comes first).

Re BRU...

The Triumph and Triumph Advance are in fact two very different seats. Both however are/were sold in Canada. The EFTA is available at BRU, but maybe the store you were at isn't carrying it yet, or maybe the employee was confused. Either way, you found what you needed at Sears, which is great too.

When you install your EFTA please be sure to post pics. :thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

The "triumph" that BRU carries is the EFTA. The Triumph was clearanced out about a year ago now, so I'm guessing when you take staff turnover into consideration, a lot of stuff may not be aware that there was ever a different triumph. To the best of my knowledge, the old Triumph is completely gone and not available in Canada anymore - unless there's a BRU/TRU hiding away some where that didn't sell out when they were reduced.

The sure fire way to know for sure which Triumph it is is to look at the harness. If it has red tabs at the top and it slides up and down the entire length of the seat, then it's the EFTA. The old Triumph didn't have those red tabs, and the knob to loosen the harness was yellow instead of red. It also had 3 different harness heights as opposed to being infinite adjust. So I would say with 99.9% certainty that your TRU had the Triumph Advance, but they just didn't realize that there was and Advance to the name. I'm not sure if the tag even says advance on it, or if it just says Triumph.

Oh, and the EFTA only rf to 30lbs in Canada and ff to 47lbs. Checking the ff'ing weight limit would also tell you which seat it is. But like I said, the Triumph's were reduced and clearanced almost a year ago now, so I really don't see any store having any remnant stock.

U

Unregistered

So, we installed our 2 EFTA seats we bought today. By the time we were done the sun went down, so the pics are a little dark. Sorry. If there are any other pics you'd like, just let me know and I'll get them for you.

Beautiful seat colour and fabric:
July08052.jpg

My best attempt of showing "level line" with car and ground. To my untrained eye it looks level, and is in Position 1 which I assume is still 45 deg?!
July08056.jpg

The adjuster. A little in the seat back, but not much. Still easily useable.
July08057.jpg

Showing SBS install. There may even be room for a cup holder or two. LOL!
July08058.jpg

From trunk. I hope this comes out clear and shows space b/w seats.
July08061.jpg

FWIW: The sales people at the BRU I went to are very uninformed about their product line. The seat they had on display is the exact same EFTA not EFT that we bought at Sears.

snowbird25ca

Yeah, BRU sales people are notoriously uninformed. Except me of course. :cool: But I can say if you came into my store and talked to most of the other girls, you really wouldn't get much in the way of helpful information. None of them have been trained on carseats except for one who is a tech, but she's rarely out helping customers... I'm giving them info little bit by little bit, but really, for the amount of time I'm there there isn't much opportunity to pass on information...

From what I can see in the pictures it looks fine as long as you have less than 1" of movement side to side at the belt path. Your older child can be more upright if you'd like - they don't have to be at a full 45* once they're older. :thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

Oh there is definitely no movement. It was a 2 person job for sure. Since it's such a small car it was a little acrobatic to say the least. My big body (heavy but only 5'4) crawled inside the car and into the seat (to compress) while my DH pulled the LA strap tight. It does not budge AT ALL!! When I try to move it the car rocks! LOL!

Both my kids are 8 months old today!! Woo Hoo! We'll go for a ride in the car tomorrow when DH gets home from work and I'll take another pic!

I hope these seats last longer for my kids than it would've for my nephew. He's 55lbs and over 4 feet tall. He's turning 4 (FOUR) at the end of August!!

snowbird25ca

I hope these seats last longer for my kids than it would've for my nephew. He's 55lbs and over 4 feet tall. He's turning 4 (FOUR) at the end of August!!

Wow, he's one big guy. Are you & your dh as tall as your nephew's parents? Here's hoping your guys don't take after him. He's so tall for his age.

The EFTA should last a good long time - it will get most kids to a good booster age & size, so unless your kiddos are super tall like your nephew, then they should be fine. (I'd say big, but his height and weight are probably pretty proportionate I'm guessing.. just seems big for 4yrs old when I look at my dd. :eek: )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC