Price Difference

scoutingbear

One of my goals in the next 2 years is to become a certified technician. I think it would be a valuable asset to everything I am involved in (foster parents, OT, Girl Scouts, etc.) I looked up the courses in our area and there is one...for $950! I then looked up the courses for the rest of the state and the top cost was $300. Does anyone know why the price difference? Are there scholarships usually available? If the cost of gas wasn't a factor, it *might* be cheaper to drive the 5 hours, stay in a hotel and take the course up north! (But then again, I would have to also factor in day care expenses.)

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Cal (So Cal) is the only place of that I've heard of them charging lately... it's been free for almost everyone else everywhere else for some time now (just $60 for you license fee). Get in touch with the contact/coordinator in your area and see if they know of other classes that are free or cheaper, usually they have the line on all the classes, might even know how to get you in the expensive ones cheaper. (That's a fair market price for the actual educating you get, but usually it's covered by grants earmarked for safety/injury prevention/etc)

ame0312

im in pa & just signed up for the course next month... all i had to pay was the $60... interesting...

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Can you do something like visit your parents for a week (no child car costs, hopefully) and take a class there? It's the same class everywhere, so if there are open spots and you explain that you will be visiting in the area at the time of the class, you should be able to take it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
SafetyBeltSafe is based in LA/Altadena, and they do charge $950 for the class. Like a PP said, it's because they don't have a grant to cover the cost.

I believe they do offer a partial scholarship. I don't know all the details, but if they're the ones running the course, you could contact them to find out.

scoutingbear

SafetyBeltSafe is based in LA/Altadena, and they do charge $950 for the class. Like a PP said, it's because they don't have a grant to cover the cost.

I believe they do offer a partial scholarship. I don't know all the details, but if they're the ones running the course, you could contact them to find out.

Thanks, that is exactly the location that is the closest to me. I will contact them to find out more.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
wow, for less than that, you could fly somewhere and stay in a hotel for the week and go to a $60 class. Spokane WA has a class the last week of September.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC