Apex for Scenera:D

featherhead

So, after many emails, and much ado, I'm getting an Apex to replace my Scenera! First Dorel said they could replace it with a Summit (I told them I didn't want another Scenera). I asked if I could have an Apex instead, since (in Canada) they retail for the same price. They said I could pay $50 plus shipping, and then sure, I could have the Apex. So I told them no, I'll take the Summit, but I need them to send that first, before I destroy my seat and send them the straps, etc. Nope, Dorel said that doesn't work unless they can put the Summit on my credit card first, and then refund me later. I had also emailed Transport Canada about the Scenera, and they said they would forward my email to Dorel. Apparently that helped:D Dorel just emailed back (Michelle Bloomer, Consumer Relations Supervisor), and they said they would come pick up the old car seat, and give me an Apex!! I'm so excited! I was really hoping that somehow I could help my nephew stay harnessed longer:D

ADS

NVMBR02

Cool! To bad they had to be "pushed" into giving you the Apex, but it sounds like a great solution for your nephew.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Even better, TC is now involved in the frayed harness straps then? Maybe they'll be able to push a recall even though NHTSA has closed their investigation?

featherhead

Even better, TC is now involved in the frayed harness straps then? Maybe they'll be able to push a recall even though NHTSA has closed their investigation?

I don't think so... here's the email response I got from TC

Good morning: Your email has been forwarded to me for response.

We have received a number of similar complaints. The manufacturer has, due to these complaints, performed crash tests and static tests on frayed harness systems and have demonstrated that the fraying does not compromise the safety of the child during collision. I will be forwarding your email to the manufacturer and request that they contact you to try to rectify the problem for you.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
>

Last edited:

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Interesting, explains why there wasn't a recall issued then. Although I do believe that the frayed straps likely wouldn't pose a risk of harness failure in most collisions, I still think there could be increased risk in certain high speed collisions - especially with kids who are near the weight limit, or in cases of misuse with the child over the weight limit.

(You should probably remove Barb's contact information from your post since this is a public forum. :thumbsup: )

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC