Question about lock offs being used with a belt that locks on its own

Misty-Bug

ok I am gonna try REALLY hard to put into words what I was thinking. I was given a link and have been reading the link now.

in a situation you use lock offs from the carseat but don't realize that your shoulder belt actually does lock. So instead of locking the shoulder belt you use the lock offs. In an accident then does it limit the seat belts job? I am not sure how to get my words out properly. I know you are to use one OR the other.

"Using a locking clip to hold the two parts of the belt together could hold unwanted slack in the lap belt or prevent the lap belt from tightening as it should." http://www.carseat.org/Technical/tech_update.htm#Lock-off

now where it is talking about the locking clip, ignore that and use the words "lock offs" as in the britax lock offs. If you use the lock offs on a locking belt (but the belt isn't locked) does the performance of the seatbelt go down in a crash? Does the seatbelt then not do it's "job" properly. Or is it ok cause you are pinching BOTH sides of the belt. Not just by the end.
man I hope I make SOME sense.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
No, the lockoff does not prohibit the belt from working. The lockoff or locking clip is a precrash positioner, keeping the belt (and thus the child restraint) in the proper position until the belt's ELR function can kick in.

With the built-in lockoffs such as on the Britax seats, they are optional if you have locking belts. You can bypass them and lock your seatbelt, or you can use the lockoffs and leave the seatbelt in unlocked (ELR) mode. Of course, if you have a car with locking latchplates, using the lockoffs would technically be "doubling up" on locking mechanisms.

Some techs feel that it is acceptable to use two methods of locking (ie locking clip and locking latchplate, or lockoff and locked retractor) but I think we all agree that it is never ok to use a locking clip with a locked retractor.

Misty-Bug

thank you for taking the time to answer me. I was just interested is all. I like learning new things. I have no experience with Britax. But that makes sense. Thanks

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC