Which car seat is best shared?

monstah

It would be shared by DS who is almost 3 and over 40lbs, his torso length is 15" and DD who is almost 1 and 20+ pounds.

DD will most likely never even ride in it. (She hasn't been in the extra car yet, and is 9 months old) But she may if we have the option.

So I am thinking it will stay installed FF and be shared that way in the future.

I was thinking something with a 35 pound RF limit. So it can go in my car temporarily, because my blvd only goes to 33 pounds. But I am also thinking I want it to last DS as long as possible. Probably a no rethread harness will be best.

Any suggestions? TIA

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Is she nine months or "almost 1"? She absolutely cannot ride forward-facing until she IS one year old -- and she is five times safer rear-facing even after that magical birthday. Maybe an Evenflo Triumph Advance or Compass TrueFit?

fyrfightermomma

I agree with PP on the seats however.....there isn't any time in the forseable future that the two could share a seat without uninstalling it. Your oldest must be FFing and your littlest really should not be FFing yet.

If you don't mind "flipping" the seat if they share it then the EFTA is a good bet since the straps move up and down. Otherwise a Boulevard but that adjustment is made from the side.

I "share" seats between my kids, but it works because they are both rearfacing. We use the EFTA for the ease of moving the harness strap height.

If you intend on switching it between forward facing and rear facing let us know and we can help you out with some more seats.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I agree that the EFTA is probably a good seat to share since it is easy to switch the harness height.

I would also try the Britax Boulevard (for the same reason).

monstah

Is she nine months or "almost 1"? She absolutely cannot ride forward-facing until she IS one year old -- and she is five times safer rear-facing even after that magical birthday. Maybe an Evenflo Triumph Advance or Compass TrueFit?

I don't plan on putting my 9 month old in a FF seat. I wrote that she most likely will never even use it.

This is for the future, something they could possibly share. I also stated that I would like it to have a 35 pound rear facing limit for those 2 extra pounds. I didn't think I gave the impression that I was going to FF on her "magical" birthday.

Just trying to decide if there is something that might eventually work or to scrap the idea all together.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm sorry; I was confused because you wrote that it would be installed FF and would stay that way.

If your 3-year-old is over 40 pounds now, do you think he'll still be under 50 by the time your daughter is 35 pounds? Did that make sense? I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of sharing a seat (specifically the Evenflo Triumph Advanced). If it's ONLY going to be used forward-facing after your daughter is 35 pounds, then maybe the Graco Nautilus, which she can use harnessed and he can use as a booster once he outgrows the harness?

monstah

I'm sorry; I was confused because you wrote that it would be installed FF and would stay that way.
No big deal, I know you are trying to keep everyone as safe as possible :thumbsup:

I was thinking about a Nautilus but was hoping to get those 2 extra pounds RFing with another seat. I wish I knew how long before DS might outgrow the Evenflo. I guess I am looking for the best of both worlds.

Edited to add:
I keep thinking about this, and I think that DS will mostly outgrow any seat that RF's to 35 pounds by the time he could share it with DD.
The reason I was thinking from the sharing standpoint is because in the last 2 years and 9 months, DS rode in the extra car less than 10 times. It just doesn't seem necessary to have car seats in that car. But, if I could get one that was easily shared,RF to 35, and is not outgrown too quickly then maybe I would get it.
(I want those 2 pounds RFing and I need to be able to sell this seat to my DH)
Looks like an ETA and hope DS stops growing.

P.S. I do think 9 months is almost 1 year old! I already started planning their birthday parties!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC