Wait time for KDM seats?

Zmom

I helped my SIL purchase two Safety 1st Uptowns for my nephews. They're 33 mos and 16 mos old. I'm not worried about the 16 mo-old. However, my older nephew has less than one inch to go before he's even with the top harness slot. He also weights 38lbs. He is very tall for his age! My SIL is 5'10", and my BIL is 6'4", so he gets his height naturally.

There is no way, at less than 3 years old, that my nephew is ready for a booster! There is also no way that my SIL can afford a HWH seat! :-( I plan on applying for a KDM seat for them today, so that if there is a wait, my nephew won't have to be without a harnessed seat.

So, does anyone know how long the wait might be? I know it could take months for my nephew to add on that extra 1/2 inch and 2 lbs, but I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks!

ADS

HEVY

The wait time could be many months, but I believe they are only taking applications for those who are on some type of public assitance or very low income.

Zmom

They are on WIC. It was difficult for them to afford the two Uptowns, and I helped pay for those.

Thanks!

laurenrachey

Don't they have seats available for 'donation'/at cost (lower than retail)? Is it possible that SIL could save for a few months (while watching DC's weight closely) and the rest of the family chip in to get one of those? Even just $5-10 a week adds up quickly. Just put a jar somewhere and absolutely agree not to touch that money. $5 a week = $20/month X 4 months is $80 and if family could match that, it would probably be enough or very close to. Depending on your family size, that could be $10 bucks/person. You could always apply to the foundation in the meantime, assuming they receive public assistance.

Zmom

My DH's family is actually pretty large. Unforfunately, besides me, they care NOTHING about carseats. :-( I could tell they thought it was ridiculous that my SIL and BIL spent $65 on seats. Another SIL tried to tell them that my older nephew would be fine in a booster because it's legal (her own son was in a booster at 3 yrs old). My MIL drives her grandkids around in a nasty OHS Touriva. No, she will never be allowed to drive my DS anywhere, even if he's in his own seat that I've installed - I don't trust her to tighten the harness properly.

I've already told my SIL to start saving. She said they can probably manage $10 a month.

mykidsmylife

I applied in April. I still dont have a seat but there is a great possibility I will get a Regent early Aug. So the wait is kinda long. We are on WIC also. She will have to send proof.
I say go ahead and apply. It cant hurt to try.

I try everything to help them out in other ways since buying a whole new seat isnt possible at this time.
We use goodsearch as our search engine. KDMF gets a little bit of money everytime someone using the search.

laurenrachey

I thought of one other easy thing to do. Every time they spend money anywhere, put the change in a container, bag, pocket, whatever. Never spend change. My husband is too lazy to spend change and he drops in a jar on top of the TV every day. We easily collect $40-70 in a few months time like this. If they really looked at each and every purchase they make, I think they'd find $5/week. For instance store brand vs namebrand. 10 store brand items that are $0.50 cheaper a piece, that's $5 right there. Coordinate errands on the way to and from work. There are so many little things that can make a big difference.

magoose

Is there any ways to use the Safety First for the 33 month old and keep the younger one in a seat she or you might already have and then save up for the Nautilus? Once she has the Nautilus put the 16 month old in the Safety First. Anna

littleangelfire

We applied in March of '07, he got his seat in June '07, but it was a Radian and didn't work out, so then he got a Regent in August. That was before the onslaught after the morning show they did, though.
Amy

Zmom

Awesome, wonderful news! The KDM foundation called this morning. Apparently, another family in the area was given a Radian80, but it didn't fit their vehicle. Instead of wasting money shipping it elsewhere, they are donating it to my nephew!

They are also going to have a tech install it! I am praying that the Radian fits their van, a 1999 Caravan.

(My ILs need both Uptowns, as they are expecting again - the 2nd Uptown will be used for the new baby when she outgrows her infant seat. The seats the boys were using weren't expired (surprisingly) but looked nasty, and had no EPP/EPS foam or padding, and my BIL admitted to washing the straps in the washer. They already shop at discount food stores that sell mislabeled/expired/damaged packaging food items.)

featherhead

Wow, that's great! I'm so glad your nephew was able to get a Radian! I guess it was good that you applied right away, or you might have missed it!

Zmom

Wow, that's great! I'm so glad your nephew was able to get a Radian! I guess it was good that you applied right away, or you might have missed it!

I am still in a happy bubble! :) I feel so blessed and thankful! (And he's not even my kid!)

Zmom

It is a wonderful ending! :) I'm going to push push push for them to start saving for a HWH carseat for their younger son. He's off the growth charts! I'm sure he won't be ready for a booster when he outgrows the Uptown either, and I doubt that their older son will be ready to move to a booster, so that the Radian can be passed down.

If they start saving now, they'll have over a year to save, hopefully!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC