Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Good booster for 45 lb 4 yr old

My SIL is considering a safer option for her DS than the lbb that he is currently in. He came to them as a foster child last year (just turned 3) in a HBB but complained that it hurt his back. Their occupational therapist encouraged them to take it down to the lbb, and he didn't complain about his back hurting any more.
    I recommended the nautilus to SIL but she doesn't think he would like the harness, so I'm looking for a "comfortable" HBB to recommend. That way he at least gets some head protection!
    I was thinking about the Monterey since it's not too $$$... any other recommendations? I don't know what brand he had before that made his back hurt.
    He's just turning 4 and weighs about 45 lbs and I would guess about 45" tall - maybe a little less but taller than DD who is 41".
    CPST & Stay at home Cake-decorating/Scrapbooking/Photo Mom to
    Kyrie-10 in Harmony NBB & 5 stepping
    Trey-7 in Monterrey/parkway HBB
    Carter 12/2012 RF in Foonf & Rhett 10/2014 in ClickConnect 40

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

Re: Good booster for 45 lb 4 yr old

Recaro Vivo and Britax Parkway are both very cushy and fit smaller kids well.

Monterey I haven't seen - but it would last a good long time, and fit a variety of kids if she has bigger foster kids in the future.

I was going to say Monterey as well. That thing looks comfy. I'd sit in it!

E 8y 43 lbs 58" Harmony NBB
    S 7y 52 lbs 54" Harmony NBB
    J-4y 38 lbs Graco Headwise 70 Britax Roundabout 50

Quote Originally Posted by Eviesmama View Post
    I was going to say Monterey as well. That thing looks comfy. I'd sit in it!
    That's kind of what I was thinking!

CPS Technician

The pkwy does fit smaller kids well but it's getting to be almost impossible to find!!! Can she just put the back on the seat she has and see how he does? I'd hate for her to buy a Monterey and then have the same problem.
    Tanya

Allie 6/6/03 - Monterey and Parkway
    Levi 4/3/05 - Probooster and Turbobooster

We haven't tried a Monterey yet, but when I bought a booster for my oldest, she found the Turbobooster uncomfortable on her back, but the Recaro YoungStyle very comfortable. It has a nice design to keep the upper back supported and padded when the headrest is raised. I think all the Recaro boosters are designed that way. (Though with a 4 year old, upper back padding might not have been the problem)
    Mom to: dd 17yo
    dd 14yo
    ds 11yo in Recaro Vivo
    dd 7yo in Graco Nautilus
    and newbie coming mid-2017

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

My dd was uncomfortable in the Parkway at 46 inches and 45-46 pounds. I'd probably go with a Monterey, Compass B510 or Recaro Vivo.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

I'm going to have to say the Parkway.

I've tested Ruthie in the Monterey and it's just huge for her... she can BARELY fit the lowest setting and it's so deep that I'd worry a child that small would slouch.

She fit the Parkway really well at 2yrs and 30lbs... but needless to say, she did NOT use it when the car was moving... she was sitting in it while I moved seats around.

The Parkway also has that grey really thick comfort foam right where the back is... great for the back... and even as the seat gets taller, most of the back is still padded.

I'd go with that... it just fits small booster riders better.

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

I know you aren't asking for a harnessed seat, but since he is pretty young and not huge, I wouldn't discourage it. I would play up the Nautilus being 3 seats in 1, the last seat he'd need, play up the cool cupholders and secret toy storage areas for him, that it looks like a big kid seat, he can be like a racecar driver, etc etc. If he came to them as a foster child, I'm sure it was the cheapest of cheap low back boosters. No doubt it probably wasn't very comfortable. I would first play up the cool features and let the child have some part in the decision rather than skipping straight to a booster on the assumption that he wouldn't like the harness, especially when the Nautilus is only slightly more expensive

Actually, right now, they are the same price, and she can probably find it locally. I live in a small town and we have several in the store. Walmart Nautilus
    Last edited by laurenrachey; 07-07-2008 at 02:00 PM.
    Rachel & Caleb 3.31.05 37 lbs FF in an FPSVD and/or a Regent

http://www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Quote Originally Posted by laurenrachey View Post
    I know you aren't asking for a harnessed seat, but since he is pretty young and not huge, I wouldn't discourage it. I would play up the Nautilus being 3 seats in 1, the last seat he'd need, play up the cool cupholders and secret toy storage areas for him, that it looks like a big kid seat, he can be like a racecar driver, etc etc. If he came to them as a foster child, I'm sure it was the cheapest of cheap low back boosters. No doubt it probably wasn't very comfortable. I would first play up the cool features and let the child have some part in the decision rather than skipping straight to a booster on the assumption that he wouldn't like the harness, especially when the Nautilus is only slightly more expensive
    I'm really working on that! I've got a couple crash test video's to email her along with the seat options so maybe that will help.... she's a nurse so she knows enough to know it's safer too.

awesome Since they are the same price right now, I say, why wouldn't she get the Nautilus! Cannot beat that value!
    Rachel & Caleb 3.31.05 37 lbs FF in an FPSVD and/or a Regent

http://www.crumbsinmycouch.com