Good booster for 45 lb 4 yr old

Nisha

My SIL is considering a safer option for her DS than the lbb that he is currently in. He came to them as a foster child last year (just turned 3) in a HBB but complained that it hurt his back. Their occupational therapist encouraged them to take it down to the lbb, and he didn't complain about his back hurting any more.
I recommended the nautilus to SIL but she doesn't think he would like the harness, so I'm looking for a "comfortable" HBB to recommend. That way he at least gets some head protection!
I was thinking about the Monterey since it's not too $$$... any other recommendations? I don't know what brand he had before that made his back hurt.
He's just turning 4 and weighs about 45 lbs and I would guess about 45" tall - maybe a little less but taller than DD who is 41".

ADS

TerisBoys

Recaro Vivo and Britax Parkway are both very cushy and fit smaller kids well.

Monterey I haven't seen - but it would last a good long time, and fit a variety of kids if she has bigger foster kids in the future.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
The pkwy does fit smaller kids well but it's getting to be almost impossible to find!!! Can she just put the back on the seat she has and see how he does? I'd hate for her to buy a Monterey and then have the same problem.

kphil

We haven't tried a Monterey yet, but when I bought a booster for my oldest, she found the Turbobooster uncomfortable on her back, but the Recaro YoungStyle very comfortable. It has a nice design to keep the upper back supported and padded when the headrest is raised. I think all the Recaro boosters are designed that way. (Though with a 4 year old, upper back padding might not have been the problem)

scatterbunny

My dd was uncomfortable in the Parkway at 46 inches and 45-46 pounds. I'd probably go with a Monterey, Compass B510 or Recaro Vivo.

Kat_Momof3

I'm going to have to say the Parkway.

I've tested Ruthie in the Monterey and it's just huge for her... she can BARELY fit the lowest setting and it's so deep that I'd worry a child that small would slouch.

She fit the Parkway really well at 2yrs and 30lbs... but needless to say, she did NOT use it when the car was moving... she was sitting in it while I moved seats around.

The Parkway also has that grey really thick comfort foam right where the back is... great for the back... and even as the seat gets taller, most of the back is still padded.

I'd go with that... it just fits small booster riders better.

laurenrachey

I know you aren't asking for a harnessed seat, but since he is pretty young and not huge, I wouldn't discourage it. I would play up the Nautilus being 3 seats in 1, the last seat he'd need, play up the cool cupholders and secret toy storage areas for him, that it looks like a big kid seat, he can be like a racecar driver, etc etc. If he came to them as a foster child, I'm sure it was the cheapest of cheap low back boosters. No doubt it probably wasn't very comfortable. I would first play up the cool features and let the child have some part in the decision rather than skipping straight to a booster on the assumption that he wouldn't like the harness, especially when the Nautilus is only slightly more expensive :thumbsup:

Actually, right now, they are the same price, and she can probably find it locally. I live in a small town and we have several in the store. Walmart Nautilus

Last edited:

Nisha

I know you aren't asking for a harnessed seat, but since he is pretty young and not huge, I wouldn't discourage it. I would play up the Nautilus being 3 seats in 1, the last seat he'd need, play up the cool cupholders and secret toy storage areas for him, that it looks like a big kid seat, he can be like a racecar driver, etc etc. If he came to them as a foster child, I'm sure it was the cheapest of cheap low back boosters. No doubt it probably wasn't very comfortable. I would first play up the cool features and let the child have some part in the decision rather than skipping straight to a booster on the assumption that he wouldn't like the harness, especially when the Nautilus is only slightly more expensive :thumbsup:

I'm really working on that! :thumbsup: I've got a couple crash test video's to email her along with the seat options :whistle: so maybe that will help.... she's a nurse so she knows enough to know it's safer too.

laurenrachey

awesome :thumbsup: Since they are the same price right now, I say, why wouldn't she get the Nautilus! Cannot beat that value!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC