MP3 player recs?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
OK, this is way OT, but I figure someone here has probably done some research on this. :p

I'm wanting an MP3 player, so I can listen to audiobooks while on my daily walk. I don't want to spend more than $75, and less is better. I like the idea of an iPod, but the only one in my price range is the Shuffle, which doesn't get the best reviews, especially if you're using it to listen to audiobooks (finding where you left off yesterday is tough without a display screen).

I found two players by SanDisk that look promising. I found both of them for $52 at Buy.com, but I have no idea if either of them is any good: Sansa™ m230 or Sansa™ e130.

I'm looking for feedback on those two models or suggestions for other models I should look at.

ADS

groovymom2000

Ulrike, thanks for posting this...

I have been meaning to look at this for a while, so I sat down to do some research. I am leaning toward one of the SanDisk Sansa models myself, probably the m250. From what I can gather, the whole "bookmarking" feature is one that is missing from most of the Mp3 players. Since I want mine for running, I want a flash player. I saw that the Rio brand did a fairly good job of bookmarking, but they don't seem to work for longer than 3 weeks. :rolleyes:
There seems to be some software/freeware out there that will let you "split" stuff up so that it can be done as tracks--you would still end up at the beginning of a track, though. Somewhat tiresome, but better than having to go back to the beginning of a book!
I like SanDisk as a company overall, and the fact that they support WMA-DRM and Audible files, have a 1 year warranty, and use AAA batteries are probably what will sell me.
I did find a blog/message board discussion earlier about this issue, but opinions were all over the place--it really seemed to be personal opinion. Let me know if you find anything else--I am most likely not buying anything for another 2-3 weeks, so I'll continue to look around here as well.

Update--Just read a customer review on Circuit City's webite that stated that the m250(and I would assume the others in the m series) remembered where it was in an audiobook when it was turned off. Hmmm....

Last edited:

UlrikeDG

Thanks. I saw the m230 at Best Buy today. It's smaller than I expected (i.e., it's TINY! LOL). It was $70 + tax. I'm going to check reviews tomorrow, and if I don't find anything appalling, I'll order it online.

groovymom2000

Let me know what you think...I think I am going out tomorrow

to actually LOOK at them--they do look a lot bigger online, and I've never even held one before! That's a good price, so maybe I can get myself to wander in BB---that store freaks me out! :D

UlrikeDG

It's an OK price, but if you go to the SanDisk website and click on "Compare Online Retailers", they've got it listed for less.

UlrikeDG

A couple of reviews have mentioned that the m230 does not have a bookmark feature. I think I'm going to go with that model anyway, because I really can't beat the price.

Pricing:
BuyDig.com $55.85 (inc shipping)
Amazon.com $52.99 (free ship)
CircuitCity.com $56.17 (inc tax & free ship) - Upromise.com also offers 3% back
TigerDirect.com $51.98 (inc shipping and $7 mail in rebate)

I'm ordering from Amazon. It's only $1 more than Tigerdirect, and I don't have to mess with the rebate form.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC