Need help quick -- Evenflo infant seat without base???

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm leaving to pick up my 9 year old SD & her preemie baby sister.... I have a Starriser Comfy for big sis, but I just sold the Wizard -- can the 5 point Evenflo infant seat be used without the base :confused: (I think I knew this once & now I forget). If not, then I need to leave work early to guy a Safe Voyage JIC because I'm babysitting Elfy for the next 2 months :D (They're using the BLVD already also & don't want to uninstall/reinstall). This is the exact one they have:
B00063E23M.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

ADS

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
She has an evenflo embrace right? The embrace cant be installed without the base. The portabout and the discovery can be installed without the base but the belt paths are weird.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Its inconvenient but it also helps cut down on miss use. I've seen several parents put the seat in the car with the base and then tread the belt thru the baseless install slots on other car seats.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
At this point I figure I can use the convertible with other kids, but not a base only ... we don't have any Marathons or Safe Voyages (or Radians) here -- only Roundabouts, so I guess that's what I'm getting ... although I checked with the dept. head & I'm told we are getting the S.E. next week & they have a 90 day return policy :rolleyes: :cool:

LuvBug

What about a scenera? they have lower slots than the britax convertibles, so if she is really tiny it will fit her better. Just roll some blankets for side support.

(lowest slots- scenera 7.5", britax conv. 10")

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
I agree with luvbug if you are thinking of returning it might as well go with the cheap seat and if she happens to puke in it you wont be out the 200 bucks for a RA!

LuvBug

Well I was just thinking of how small she probably is and how she needs to fit well into a seat. The embrace is for smaller babies and would probably fit her best, but of the convertibles the scenera has the lowest slots, so I would go with that. Britax says for a RF infant the slots should be NO higher than 1" above the infants shoulders. Since the scenera's are 7.5 and the britax are all 10" the likelyhood of the britax being more than 1" above her shoulders is greater, and a better fit of the scenera is more likely.

U

Unregistered

You might try the Britax Decathlon. You can adjust the crotch buckle closer to the preemie. However, it is only rated from 5 pounds. The Britax Companion has a low birthweight insert for babies under 5 pounds. That could work too.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
OK, well, got a seat yesterday afternoon

We have CRAPPY selection here -- only just got the Roundabout in 2006 & everything else is Graco/Evenflo/Dorel Juvenile (Cosco/Safety 1st) ... I'm shocked that Target actually plans to get the Fisher Price *GASP* Anyway, after calling Walmart on the way I decided not to even bother with them because they're proud to stock only 3-in-1s & OHS *UGH* Kmart is a bit better, but they only actually had boosters & infant seats in stock @@ So, I drove up the hill to Target & found a better selection -- the Scenera did seem to have lower slots than the Roundabout, but they were out *SIGH* THen I got thinking ... well, since we're planning to TTC in a couple months anyway I just got the Safe Seat! It will definitely get used again within it's life span *WINK* I love how it installs -- at least compared to the crappy infant seat I had with Leila!!! I didn't get a picture of baby Elfy in the Safe Seat, though, because the only way to keep her content the whole 3+ hours was carrying her in the sling ... so here we are with the sling, followed by the big girls (Leila & Janaishia) playing chess:
2006spring-TiffElfy1.jpg
2006spring-LeilaNaini-Chess.jpg

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Definitely -- supposing I remember when there's sunlight, LOL (my cell phone doesn't work well in dim lighting) :cool:

BTW, Elfy's adjusted age is 3 months (she was born at about 27 gestational weeks in September) -- she's not super tiny anymore, but I am so she looks even bigger, LOL :p

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
Wow your daughters can play chess?!!??!

Great solution! I still cant make myself like the safeseat. I cant wait to photos of her in it.

What kind of sling do you use? I need one, but they all seem so difficult or just plain scary (i cant convince myself to trust the ring design).

super_grape

butting in here:)
I just bought a Moby D wrap
and we LOVE it....altho, if you are very
small it's ALOT of fabric but the end result
is a very comfy and secure place for baby.
Alexa loves it and I find it super comfortable
to wear...like a T-shirt w/a baby inside, lol!
In my instruction book they show you how
to wear newborn twins in it!

We also like Hotslings too...so easy and not fussy
at all.

here's some links:

http://store.peppermint.com/moby-d.html

www.hotslings.com

U

Unregistered

FWIW, I used Dr. Sears sling, the Nojo I think it was called, and loved it. At first I was afraid my itty bitty baby would fall out or that he looked uncomfortable, but soon I got a feel for it. He would hang out all day in it - I could clean, cook, and run around with the older kids. I used it up towards age 2 - as he got older I positioned it to support him on my hip.

LuvBug

We used a nojo at first that was actually the sling my mom used with my now 15yo brother. He had surgery on his skull and wasnt allowed to lay flat for long at all, so the doc told her about that sling.
We then got one of every other kind of sling(wrap, ring, ABC, ect) and my favorite and the only one I kept was the ring sling. I have 2 of those babies so I could have one on hand all the time. loved them!

skaterbabs

I *heart* my Maya Wrap and never leave home without it. It lives in the trunk of the car. lol I also have an Asian Baby Carrier-style one that MIL's sister bought her when dh was little that she used with all of her kids and I've used with all of mine. lol
What I really would love is a silk rebozo, but dh would have a cow I think. lol

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I had a Maya with Leila & LOVED LOVED LOVED it ... the afternoon I got the Safe Seat, I stopped by a local shop & bought a sling styled after the Maya (but with a more comfortable shoulder area) made by a local mom :) I do wish it were more colorful -- I imgaine the black will be hot in the summer :eek: Also, with Leila I had a mesh water sling because she was like a bar of soap during bath time & the water sling was the only safe way for me to get her clean, LOL

Chess: *I* am still only learning :p Never touched a chess piece/board in my life till a couple months ago -- saw the Harry Potter chess set on clearance & grabbed it up ... my guy is big into chess so we play with him on one side, me & Leila on the other -- Leila chooses which piece & I choose where to put it, LOL ... so far she understands the names of the pieces, how to set up the board & which pieces can move which ways *YAY* She was "teaching" her big sis, which soon enough turned into something not at all like human chess, a lot like Wizard Chess (only less organized) *WINK*

I really like the Safe Seat -- very easy to use ... harness similar to our Recaro & the lock off is neat, kinda strange, but neat -- I've gotten it installed in all our vehicles already very well! (Fords, Toyotas, Chevies, Dodges, BMWs....)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC