Newbie with question

U

Unregistered

I am going to be a first time mom soon and don't know hardly anything about carseats. I've been doing as much research as I can and still feel lost. I have an older car without the LATCH system--a 1997 Subaru Outback. Does anyone have any ideas about which car seat would go best? I've heard there are problems with an install in the center seat in these cars. Thanks in advance.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome, and congrats!

Are you looking for an infant seat or a convertible one?

Babies R Us will let you try seats out in your car, so you can try them out before you buy. However, if you can't get something in the middle then having a rear facing baby on the side is still very very safe.

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Graco Safeseat, the Chicco Keyfit, and the Graco Snugride are all well loved. The first two are VERY easy to install with the seatbelt. The Snugride can have a problem of tipping without a locking clip when using a shoulder and lap belt. But it's still a great seat. The Safeseat and Keyfit have built in lockoffs. The Safeseat has a 30 pound limit, the Keyfit comes in 22 and 30 pound versions (but the shell isn't bigger for the 30 pound), and the Snugride is 22 pounds.

Wendy

Kyras_Mama

We have a 2000 outback sport so a little smaller than yours but still no latch. I don't know how different the seat is but if it's the same, our Safeseat w/ base is a very good fit and installs very snug with no issue for me in the center w/ the belt.

lilysmomma

I would go with either the Keyfit or Safeseat. The built in lock-offs make seatbelt installs a breeze. I would reccomend going to a store like Babies R Us so you can play with them in person and decided which one you like best. Good luck and congats!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC