ERFing Questions

xxluckychicxx

Thanks to everyone on this board I have turned my 23 month old rearfacing again, but all of my family thinks I'm nuts! What should I tell them? I've said "it's much safer" probably a million times and they all come back with "doesnt he get car sick", "isnt he uncomfortable", "why waste your money on a new seat" (even though he's got a sister to hand it down to), and everything else imaginable. I dont come from the most car seat savy bunch (to put it lightly) and I'm the new family joke ("Sarah has that poor kid riding like a BABY! :eek:" I'm sure he's so uncomfortable and he'll probably break his legs!") Even though I know none of that is true, and that my DS actually got in the car without a fit for the 1st time EVER yesterday because he likes RFing, I cant convince anyone else, especially his dad.

ADS

katiesmommy

The best you can do is tell them the info. When they say that he's riding like a baby just tell them that the AAP reccomends rearfacing as long as possible. When they say he'll break his legs, tell them that there are no documented cases of injuries related to extended rearfacing, etc. Unfortunitly, there are people who just choose to ignore it, no matter what you say or do. In that case, you're only option is to ignore it as best as you can. If you really want to go as far as this you can always forward studies and links and such, but if you don't think that it's going to make a difference either way, then I'd honestly just ignore it, and if it gets too bad, leave.

fyrfightermomma

I had the same problem with my family. It's not easy. I gave them all the speeches. In the end, I just had to say "thank you for your concern, but I am going to do what I think is best for my child" and don't bring it up again. I also try to avoid them actually seeing my child in their carseat.

At family functions I try to stand in the way while I get them out etc. For grandparents the oldest now does ride FFing in their car but when she was RFing I just lied and told my parents it was the law now. They didn't know better. They hadn't had kids in years and weren't about to go look up laws so they believed me ;)

It also helped that I was a firefighter and saw a lot of accidents, an ER nurse so I got a lot of accident victims, and a tech. It gave me a little more credibility. But before those things, I just had to wing it!

For strangers I just tell them I am a tech and have done a lot of research and RFing is safest for ALL of us, but we can't ride like that, so I make sure to make the littlest ones stay that way as long as possible.

You probably aren't going to change their minds so just don't get sassy or anything, be matter of fact, and eventually they will leave you alone once they think you are serious.

MomToEliEm

Maybe print out some of these "Rearfacing is Best" brochures (print it as a 2 sided sheet and then fold):
http://www.cpsafety.com/PDFfiles/RearFacingBrochure.pdf

Sometimes people need to read the info from some someone else other then yourself to really realize that it might be true. Just keep a few in your car or diaper bag for whenever someone questions you. If you can get someone to look at info online, that you-tube video posted earlier is pretty good.

Adventuredad

Showing videos usually convince people but I'm not sure that's practical. I don't mind people asking questions, I want them to be skeptical. What about if I was telling them something completely inaccurate?

My friends listen when I mention weaker neck and skeleton in kids and the tremendous force in a crash. Telling people the maximum speed a person can sit in a car without seatbelt and "stop himself/herself" is about 7km/h also is powerful. So is the weight of a normal body in a crash at 30 mph. A 180 lbs person's body weighs 6300 lbs. Has little to do with kids but make people think about the forces involved.

Personally, I don't care what people think if I know what I'm doing is much safer but it's always nice to share knowledge and hopefully "convert" someone.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ask them to google information and print you out anything that says that forward facing at 1 and 20 is safer (not just people thinking it is, but studies) and then you'll read what they have to say and take it into consideration. Then the ball will be in their court. They can either be educated about it or shut up.

Wendy

Jan06twinmom

You can just say something about "physics" and that might shut people up - and make you look smart at the same time:)

When I was doing research about rf on the airplane, I found that the military has their personnel sit rf when their is a chance of a crash landing because it provides more protection. Basically, if you are forward-facing, the belt is the only thing to take the force, but rf distributes the force over a much larger area.

When my sister said something about a broken leg, I said that it would be easier to fix two broken legs than to fix a spinal injury.

I've also shown the videos. I think that the pictures and videos are more compelling than anything else I could say.

Good luck and congratulations on moving your baby back to rf. I still have my 3 1/2 year old peanut rf and will until she gains 3 more lbs!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
You're welcome to share my homepage -- click my screen name for the link.... There's a page detailing why ERF is so important as well as a photo album with kids up to 5 years old still RF :cool: Please keep in mind that this was used primarily for additional referrence while hosting my local homeschoolers Road Safety workshop (where I keep the research in printed form on a table for all to see). I think there are still a couple typos, but that's because I'm a 1 woman show without internet access at home. :eek: (the site doesn't like to cooperate with my neighbor's computer when I try to multitask like I'm doing now *SIGH*)

skaterbabs

Papooses site is AWSOME. You can also show them the phone cord trick.

You'll need a short length of coil-style phone cord and Twizzler-type candy. (I like using the red twizzer and a white or beige phone cord.)

Put the twizzler inside the coils of the phone cord, and hold both ends of the cord and the candy tightly.

Then, as hard and fast as you can, pull the two ends in opposite directions.

The phone cord will stretch and the candy will break.

All this time, they'll be sitting there thinking you're nuts, but then you explain.

The phone cord is the spinal column (which will stretch in a crash FF) and the candy is the spinal cord (which will break in a crash).

You might want a bucket nearby. The visual can upset those with sensitive tummies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC