aftermarket covers

emars002

i have to get rid of my 2 aftermarket marathon covers that i did not know i shouldn't have - yeah I should have known better but didn't until i got on here - Are they so bad that i should not put them on ebay? i know i don't want to put them on my new MA's b/c i could void that warranty - i really don't want to throw $150 in the trash but i will if anyone here thinks i would be endangering someone else's child by putting them on ebay - thanks for the input.

ADS

courtfrog2

Definately not safe. I wouldn't feel right about selling them knowing that they are unsafe. Can you talk to the seller and try and send them back to her for a refund?

mish

Um, if you wouldn't put them on your car seat because it isn't safe for your kids, why would you sell them so that someone else could. This may sound harsh, but that is saying that the safety of your children is more important than the safety of somone else's child. I am sure you don't feel that way, but that is how it comes across to me.

Keep them and let the girls use them for something. Maybe someday they can put them on an expired seat and play car seat with their dolls. Or keep them to use as an example of what you shouldn't do for other parents.

Caseylaine

I personally would say that its unethical of you to do so.... unless you state in the auction that they are NOT approved for use in vehicle car seats. I dont know what people would do with them otherwise, but thats their prerogative.

I just think that its unethical because you know that you shouldn't have them, but the person that you sell to probably wont. I know that in Canada, it is stated that aftermarket products should not be used with carseats (government website, if I remember correctly).

So... to me its like giving someone an expired car seat. You know that you shouldn't use it, but in selling it or giving it away you are allowing someone else to do it. They might not know that its expired, and then you propagate the cycle of people using products that shouldn't even be in existence.

Thats just my 2 cents. :)

skaterbabs

If you know someone who sews they can probably be made into something else, like a purse or something. At least that way you can get some use from them in a non-dangerous way.

emars002

I personally would say that its unethical of you to do so.... unless you state in the auction that they are NOT approved for use in vehicle car seats. I dont know what people would do with them otherwise, but thats their prerogative.

. :)

oh i would have said pretty much said exactly that but some people still don't get it even if i put "not aprroved by Britax...voids warranty...so on so forth" thats why i was wondering even if i put a statement to that effect should I do it.

emars002

If you know someone who sews they can probably be made into something else, like a purse or something. At least that way you can get some use from them in a non-dangerous way.

I'm sure we can do something with them.....make it fit one of the girls baby doll seats or something

U

Unregistered1

I would definitely use them for something. I've been advised to start saving things that I come across for future CPS endeavors (like if I want to be an instructor someday) so I might set one aside for that... or like a pp said let the kids use them for babies, sew them into something else, pick up an expired seat at a garage sale and turn it into a comfy indoor armchair... :p I don't want you to have wasted money either but they shouldn't be used by anyone :)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Do you have a local Safe Kids chapter/coalition that you could donate them too? I know my chapter would love to have some non regulated (aka: after market) covers to use for education purposes in our new tech classes or when doing our safety classes for parents.

emars002

Do you have a local Safe Kids chapter/coalition that you could donate them too? I know my chapter would love to have some non regulated (aka: after market) covers to use for education purposes in our new tech classes or when doing our safety classes for parents.

yes i do - i will call them Monday and ask - thanks for the sugestion - i would have never thought of that:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC