What do you guys think of this?

ADS

Shaunam

Well aside from the fact that I think the new cover is uglier? LOL

It still adds a layer of fabric underneath the child. Not a lot, but I see techs be wishy-washy over a thin receiving blanket under a child allergic to the car seat cover fabric.

Iron-on or sewn-on patches aren't usually under the child (judging by what I see here).

The top layer still isn't flame retardant even though it is underneath..I think it defeats the purpose.

I wouldn't ok it.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I think it's hideous and there are way cuter Snugrides out there.

It's an ugly cover for a nasty seat. Any ideas how old that is? The blue cover looks distinctly 90s to me.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Well, baby would burn up while the top layer burns off to get to the flame retardant layer underneath. I wouldn't do it or say it's ok.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Well, I don't have any idea what seat it's on now, but the blue cover is from an Evenflo On-My-Way, circa 1999. We had one for DS, who was born in April 2001 - and it was a hand-me-down.

Adaminon-my-way2-1.jpg

That is NOT the same seat, and she HAS modified the cover. There is no front adjustor on the original seat, so she cut out a spot for that. It was also a 3-point seat, so she cut out slots for the straps that go over the hips. And I can't imagine that the harness slots on the original seat line up exactly with the harness slots on whatever seat she has it on now.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
That is NOT the same seat, and she HAS modified the cover. There is no front adjustor on the original seat, so she cut out a spot for that. It was also a 3-point seat, so she cut out slots for the straps that go over the hips. And I can't imagine that the harness slots on the original seat line up exactly with the harness slots on whatever seat she has it on now.

It seems to me like she just sewed an extra layer on top of the existing one. I don't think she did any modifying.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Well, at the very least, she made that big cut out in the front of the cover. And she HAD to have modified it at least somewhat to accomodate the 5-pt harness shown in her picture, since the original seat was a 3-pt.

And it's on the wrong seat.

featherhead

If you click on the pic of the old cover, you will see that it must have been a 5 pt harness. You can see the slot for the crotch strap, and then you see two slots running the other direction, which would be for the straps over the legs. It also sounds like she may have taken the top layer off of the cover, and put a new layer on (which would still not be flame retardant). I could be wrong though. If that's the way she did it, at least there wouldn't be an extra layer under baby.

wendy1221

I don't think either way that 1 layer of really thin quilting fabric is going to make the cover too thick. And I also think that if the car is on fire, having a fire retardant carseat cover isn't going to help all that much. What bothers me about the seat is that it looks really old, and is surely expired.

Stretchy Glue

The first thing that came to mind for me was the van in the thread I read this morning. Honesty, good old cotton would light up in flames instantly. That's just not good.:twocents:

Kat_Momof3

oh... and now that I noticed what the "original cover" looked like... what the heck... that's not what came on that discovery... cause that cover is ANCIENT.

canadiangie

I'm so confused about what she did.

Why would there be an OMW cover on a Discovery in the first place? How would that even fit?

Has anyone emailed her to tell her she has about 10 days to get a new seat? :p (she's due on the 14th).

I can think of about 400 things I'd rather do at 9mos pg in the dead heat of summer that fuss with a car seat cover. For those that don't sew, taking a cover apart enough to re-insert a new top layer, hiding the hem, making sure the new harness slots line up, sewing the new harness slots onto/over the original ones, and actually doing a good job, isn't the easiest thing to do. It's nothing I'd want to take on. Not. Worth. It.

houseofboys

The first thing that came to mind for me was the van in the thread I read this morning. Honesty, good old cotton would light up in flames instantly. That's just not good.:twocents:
But my kids wear cotton clothes everyday between themselves & their carseat covers... :shrug-shoulders: I guess I'm not seeing what that extra layer would hurt? That said, I wouldn't do it - too little sewing talent & too much work. Besides, what a great excuse to buy a new seat. :whistle:

BookMama

Senior Community Member
oh... and now that I noticed what the "original cover" looked like... what the heck... that's not what came on that discovery... cause that cover is ANCIENT.

That's what I'm sayin'! :p

Plus there's the fact that this seat is almost surely second hand rather than just from an older child of this woman. I read a couple of her other baby-related posts, and this is her first child.

Stretchy Glue

But my kids wear cotton clothes everyday between themselves & their carseat covers... :shrug-shoulders: I guess I'm not seeing what that extra layer would hurt? That said, I wouldn't do it - too little sewing talent & too much work. Besides, what a great excuse to buy a new seat. :whistle:

In the case of Lilsid's van on the 4th, her interior melted intstead of going up into flames because of the fire retardancy. Her Marathon covers were slightly scorched instead of burned to a crisp. A cotton cover like the one in question would have ignited, and caught her van on fire instead of the fire next to her melting things.

I don't worry about the clothes on my dd because I bet most car fires happen after you've stopped, and as a poster in the thread about the van said when hers caught on fire on the freeway, the flames weren't noticable until after she had stopped. You would have time to get yourself and one or two kids out before there was any real danger of the car being engulfed.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
So why has no one left her a comment on the blog?

I will in a little while. I have a WordPress blog and often post about car seats, so it won't seem odd that I stumbled across hers. :whistle:

ETA: And, um, duh! If that IS a Discovery, how about the recall?!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC