Our Van Was Destroyed at WalMart (Graphic Pictures)

Lilsid

So Now what do I do. I am still in a daze and this all has not really hit me yet. I needed to run to Walmart and Exchange a few things yesterday (July 4th) and get some munchies for a pool party we are going to today. I always go with just me and the kids. Well something said take DH with too. So we all jumped in the Van and hit the McDonalds drive through for breakfast sandwiches which we never do. We parked at Walmart and ate them. Then just as we finished getting the kids out. some one in a red car pulled in next to us on the passenger side, but I did not think anything about it since we were in a parking lot.

We went about our shopping and about 15 minutes later we hear over the loud speaker something about a white Grand Caravan with our license #. So DH heads out to see what the deal was. I figured I left my lights on or something. Then I just could not shop I was stopped I could hardly breath I knew something was wrong, and called DH's Cell he said the van was on FIRE. I left my basket and grabbed the kids and ran.

I got out to the parking lot and my Van was destroyed. It did not help that it was also 112 degrees in Phoenix also.

So the guy that pulled in next to us on the Passenger side his car was on fire.

This lit my Van on Fire. But it had a bit of an explosion to it also. It was horrible and the smell was more than I could take. I am so thankful and appreciative that my DH was with us because I dont know how I would have gotten through this with out him. I started to scream and freak out, he calmed me so I did not scare the kids.

If I did not have DH with me I would have still been getting the kids out of the van and getting the cart when the van caught fire. In fact I would have most likely at that time been getting DD out on the Passenger side. I would have been blown up in the small explosion and my kids would have been still strapped in.

I am so shaken up, and the guy that pulled in on fire did not speak english. So all my DH could make out was that the guy was headed back to Mexico and needed a few things at Walmart.

So I had my DD 3.5 yrs. old with me and my DS 10 months old with me, and my Saving Grace DH. But I had 2 MA and a Regent in my Van that are Gone now.

I have only had this van 3.5 months.

So while we were waiting in the Fire truck so the kids did not breath the fire or get over heated, I remembered I had the camera. I sent DH to take pictures and this is what he took.
DSCF2025.jpg

DSCF2026.jpg

DSCF2027.jpg

DSCF2028.jpg

DSCF2029.jpg

DSCF2030.jpg

DSCF2031.jpg

DSCF2032.jpg

ADS

Shaunam

:eek:

I'm so glad you guys were not there when it happened! I don't even know what to say, that sucks so bad! :thumbsdown:

mykidsmylife

OMG! that is soo scary. I am so sorry! I am glad you and the kiddos are okay but this sucks!!!

I wish you the best with everything.

sunnymw

:eek:

OMG, I'm glad you guys are ok!! Did the guy in the red car KNOW his car was on fire when he pulled in?!?!

Lilsid

Yes we are all Ok an thats all I could say yesterday. The Fire department had to take us home yesterday. We still have a 4 Runner so I have a vehicle to drive. DH has been driving it lately. I had a GN in it for DD but no seat for DS so I ran to Big Lots and got an Uptown just for the time being. I did not want to travel very far or have to make many decisions then.

U

Unregistered1

How terrifying! I'm so glad everyone is okay, wow. That's so scary. Is insurance going to pay anything? I bet he doesn't have it, does he? Wow, that's just awful. *big hugs* So glad you're all okay.

mamaofthree

I'm also wondering why a car on fire would pull in near anybody!! What a scary experience. I'm so glad you and your family weren't harmed, and that dh was with you.

Kimberly

Lilsid

Our insurance will cover it I am sure. Since the red car was from Mexico and had mexican plates on it. I dont know about international insurance plans.

I was told Walmart also covers a very large umbrella policy for freak things, since we were on their property we would be covered.

I just keep hugging my kids and crying. I am so happy we are all perfect and no none was hurt.

DH thinks the flames got in under the side window and then went up and cough the head liner on fire thats all the melted pieces all over the car seats.

sunnymw

Wow, I just can't believe he would pull in NEXT to you... with KIDS in your vehicle! Come on, people, think!! :( :( :(

lorinick

WOW! The pictures really hit home. Thank god you guys are all safe. It's not shocking to me that this happened at a Wal-Mart. With a driver that did't speak any english.

oxeye

Oh my gosh I am sooooo sorry! I feel terrible for you that this happened. I would be a wreck.

I am so thankful your family is okay and that you were away from the car when this happened.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I am so glad you are all okay. That would be very scary! Your insurance will probably be the ones covering it. Sonora Mexico is not required to have US insurance to drive in the US :mad:. Unfortunately we have had many drivers come through our shop that were hit by people with Sonoran plates and had to pay themelves or have thier insurance cover it. Pretty sad considering we can't go to Rocky Point without Mexican insurance coverage.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
How scary! I'm so glad you guys are all right.

Your poor carseats, though! I guess that makes a good case for why you want fire-retardant covers - look how much they're burned as it is, can you imagine if they'd been after-market covers? :eek:

Stupid question - did the FD uninstall the MA in the second row? I'm just wondering if they pulled out the carseats to make sure they were completely out.

ProudMomof5

Oh my gosh!!!
I'd be the same as you and have the "what ifs" running through my head like crazy!
I just can't believe the guy in the red car pulled up NEXT to you guys! What the heck was he thinking? do you know what happened to him? Was he out of the car when HIS car started on fire... will he be accountable for ANYthing?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC