Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Our Van Was Destroyed at WalMart (Graphic Pictures)

OMG! SO SCARY! I am glad you are all okay! Was the owner of the red car all right?

Quote Originally Posted by crunchierthanthou View Post
    I don't know. That aftermarked head support in the rf MA doesn't look any worse off than the covers.

It's the cow print MA that really amazes me. It is completely scorched, but obviously didn't ignite. That is a very good reminder of the importance of flame retardant covers.
    michelle mama to
    dd 10.30.06 graco connext & recaro performance booster
    ds 5.4.10 sunshine kids radian xtsl & graco nautilus safety surround
    riding safely in a 2014 mazda 5 and a 2002 subaru forester

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST Instructor

I am so glad you all are okay. I know how horrible it is to have to deal with this.

I too lost a car in a car fire many moons ago. I was sitting on the highway in dead stopped rush hour traffic when mine happened. I was young and not married so no kids at the time. I started to smell what to me smelled like plastic burning and then my car started making a funny noise. I got pulled over to the shoulder since I was in the far right lane (thank goodness for once I was in the slow lane). As soon as I got out it started to just dump smoke into the passenger compartment and then flames started coming from the hood area right next to the winshield & the dash area.

It was determined to be the iginition switch that was faulty. This was back when Ford had a huge recall on them. What sucked is I HAD the iginition switched replaced just a month prior to that under the recall by a Ford dealership when I had been in an accident (guy clipped the front of my car in a parking lot when he cut to corner to short). It was determined that install had been done improperly. Lucky for me the dealership did give me a newer vehicle (not brand new as my car was 5yrs old at the time) but newer vehicle & nicer vehicle then I had.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

wow. so glad you guys are okay.

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    (((HUGS))) so glad it's all covered. I just wish people would exercise just a little more common sense sometimes (gee, my car is smoking, maybe I won't park next to someone else... )
    At our Wal-mart, this isn't necessariy always an option
    An honestly, if MY car was smoking, I'm not sure how straight I'd be thinking...

--Sarah & D.J. (3-20-04)
    DS (08/07) ~ 8 ~ 52 pound ~ Graco Highback Turbobooster -- 3rd Grade!
    DD (08/11) ~ 4 yr ~ 32 lb ~ Britax Roundabout 50, Maestro -- Pre-K!

Can I save and photobucket the pictures of your van? I'd like to show people these when I do presentations.

For all the parents/cargivers out there that think......."I'll only be a couple seconds." The dangers of leaving a child unattended in a vehicle not only include heat stroke but something like this.

Senior Community Member BABYGIRLLYNDSEY's Avatar

I got goosebumps from my neck to my toes. Holy cow! So glad you and your family were not next to that when it happened!

I'm so impressed with the how the Britax covers held up! Someone should email these to all those folks selling custom made covers on EBay! That is exactly why you shouldn't use after market products. Flameretardant material rocks.
    Mom to four ages 25, 23, 18 & 11. Busia to my new grandson.

Quote Originally Posted by PixieEMT View Post
    Can I save and photobucket the pictures of your van? I'd like to show people these when I do presentations.

For all the parents/cargivers out there that think......."I'll only be a couple seconds." The dangers of leaving a child unattended in a vehicle not only include heat stroke but something like this.
    I was actually going to ask for permission too, but to use as an example of what the original seat covers can withstand, instead of using botique covers.
    Joni
    Sunshine, 11, 5'3", 100 lbs in a 15.5" saddle

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and words. I am just so happy we were not in or around the van when it all happened. I was pretty shaken up at the time but I am recovering from the shock and it will all be ok.

Any one who wants to save the pictures to use for teaching go right ahead. The more people who understand fire and fire safety and why to use the covers that come with your seat the better.

DH and I sat down to talk last night about the whole thing and he was way more positive and I was. Now I am starting to get his point and move on. He said maybe it was a blessing. The van could have had lost its transmission the next day and then we would be spending $2000 to fix it. He reminded me that I really never liked the van in the first place. The Van was given to us by my mom and we did not even pay for it it was a gift. So now I can pick out a new vehicle I want. Or I can have my 4 Runner back that DH has been driving and get him a little commuter car, since we sold his when we got the Van.

Oh well it is only a vehicle and not a person.
    Mom to DD 10/02/04, DS 8/12/07, Angel baby boy 3/15/11

If any one needs me to email them the pictures just PM me and I will send them.

I want others to know what a car seat on fire looks like.

Thank you for letting us use the pictures. I showed my DH the pictures, he was pretty shocked. I'm glad your family is ok.

Now, when do we get to help you choose new seats.....?

DD an I were just looking a cover choices

Senior Community Member Adventuredad's Avatar

Unbelievable, glad you're ok
    Annika: 8 • Britax Adventure
    Daniel: 11 • Britax Adventure
    I will only post ONE comment in each thread. If you have further questions send a PM or email
    Imported child seats may not conform to applicable safety standards, laws or customs regulations in some countries.

how scary! i'm glad everyone was ok!

Kate(CPST) - Mommy to Gage(5/18/07)
    FF in a Blaze Recaro Prosport & Cardinal Frontier 85 SICT

Carseat Crazy

You are so lucky to have not been near or in the van when it happened. It must have been so terrifying to see it all burnt up and what could have happened.

CPS Fanatic

How scary! I am so glad you are all ok! WOW! That is all I can say!
    That just proved me that aftermarket covers are very bad(I was unsure before this-never used them though).

WOW! Could I use these pics on my myspace page www.myspace.com/carseatsafteynut to show the importance of NOT using aftermarket covers?