Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Our Van Was Destroyed at WalMart (Graphic Pictures)

So Now what do I do. I am still in a daze and this all has not really hit me yet. I needed to run to Walmart and Exchange a few things yesterday (July 4th) and get some munchies for a pool party we are going to today. I always go with just me and the kids. Well something said take DH with too. So we all jumped in the Van and hit the McDonalds drive through for breakfast sandwiches which we never do. We parked at Walmart and ate them. Then just as we finished getting the kids out. some one in a red car pulled in next to us on the passenger side, but I did not think anything about it since we were in a parking lot.

We went about our shopping and about 15 minutes later we hear over the loud speaker something about a white Grand Caravan with our license #. So DH heads out to see what the deal was. I figured I left my lights on or something. Then I just could not shop I was stopped I could hardly breath I knew something was wrong, and called DH's Cell he said the van was on FIRE. I left my basket and grabbed the kids and ran.

I got out to the parking lot and my Van was destroyed. It did not help that it was also 112 degrees in Phoenix also.

So the guy that pulled in next to us on the Passenger side his car was on fire.

This lit my Van on Fire. But it had a bit of an explosion to it also. It was horrible and the smell was more than I could take. I am so thankful and appreciative that my DH was with us because I dont know how I would have gotten through this with out him. I started to scream and freak out, he calmed me so I did not scare the kids.

If I did not have DH with me I would have still been getting the kids out of the van and getting the cart when the van caught fire. In fact I would have most likely at that time been getting DD out on the Passenger side. I would have been blown up in the small explosion and my kids would have been still strapped in.

I am so shaken up, and the guy that pulled in on fire did not speak english. So all my DH could make out was that the guy was headed back to Mexico and needed a few things at Walmart.

So I had my DD 3.5 yrs. old with me and my DS 10 months old with me, and my Saving Grace DH. But I had 2 MA and a Regent in my Van that are Gone now.

I have only had this van 3.5 months.

So while we were waiting in the Fire truck so the kids did not breath the fire or get over heated, I remembered I had the camera. I sent DH to take pictures and this is what he took.

Mom to DD 10/02/04, DS 8/12/07, Angel baby boy 3/15/11

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Our Van Was Destroyed at WalMart (Graphic Pictures)

I'm so glad you guys were not there when it happened! I don't even know what to say, that sucks so bad!
    Shauna, mom to Adrian (9 yrs, 54" and 83 lbs), in an Evenflo Amp and Charlie (6 yrs, 42" and 35 lbs), in an Evenflo Titan 65.

that's about all I can say!

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

OMG, I'm glad you guys are ok!! Did the guy in the red car KNOW his car was on fire when he pulled in?!?!
    Sunny, a new patrol car, an old raggedy Civic, and:
    J | 10.06 | RSTV2(L)
    M | 07.08 | RSTV2(S)
    K | 07.11 | FN90CT

CPS Technician

OMG! that is soo scary. I am so sorry! I am glad you and the kiddos are okay but this sucks!!!

I wish you the best with everything.

Johnathon 10yrs, 76 lbs, 5-steps
    Seth, 6yrs, 43lbs in Clek Oobr
    River, 4yrs, 38lbs in FR85 and Clek Foonf

Yes we are all Ok an thats all I could say yesterday. The Fire department had to take us home yesterday. We still have a 4 Runner so I have a vehicle to drive. DH has been driving it lately. I had a GN in it for DD but no seat for DS so I ran to Big Lots and got an Uptown just for the time being. I did not want to travel very far or have to make many decisions then.

The red car, yes he knew it was on fire he was sitting in smoke said some by standers.

Senior Community Member

So then why would he pull in next to another car? Grr. Some people.
    Mama to Madison 1/12 Johnathon 11/14

I'm also wondering why a car on fire would pull in near anybody!! What a scary experience. I'm so glad you and your family weren't harmed, and that dh was with you.

Kimberly

I'm sorry. That's horrible. Thank God you were all inside safely.
    Joni
    Sunshine, 11, 5'3", 100 lbs in a 15.5" saddle

Our insurance will cover it I am sure. Since the red car was from Mexico and had mexican plates on it. I dont know about international insurance plans.

I was told Walmart also covers a very large umbrella policy for freak things, since we were on their property we would be covered.

I just keep hugging my kids and crying. I am so happy we are all perfect and no none was hurt.

DH thinks the flames got in under the side window and then went up and cough the head liner on fire thats all the melted pieces all over the car seats.

Wow, I just can't believe he would pull in NEXT to you... with KIDS in your vehicle! Come on, people, think!!
    Sunny, a new patrol car, an old raggedy Civic, and:
    J | 10.06 | RSTV2(L)
    M | 07.08 | RSTV2(S)
    K | 07.11 | FN90CT

I'm so glad everyone is okay!

What an idiot to pull up next to you.

Carseat Crazy

WOW! The pictures really hit home. Thank god you guys are all safe. It's not shocking to me that this happened at a Wal-Mart. With a driver that did't speak any english.

Holy hell!

I can't believe the scorching on the cow marathon!
    Bridget, mama to Abigail 04/15/04 30lb 38in (FF Princess Radian)
    Georgianna 08/22/07 ~27lb 31in (RF Shannon BLVD)
    Maple Kate's coming in October (Strawberry Coccoro)

OMG!! I don't even know what to say...wow. Im so glad you guys were inside, that is unbelievable!!
    Raelynn - CRST, bus driver, Zumba instructor and mama to
    Jordanna - 12yrs, 80lbs & 5'1" ~ seat belt
    Erik - 5.5yrs, 43lbs, 46" ~ Nautilus/TF
    Maddie - 3yrs, 33bs, 37" ~ RF RN XT/FF TF (on the bus)

Oh my gosh I am sooooo sorry! I feel terrible for you that this happened. I would be a wreck.

I am so thankful your family is okay and that you were away from the car when this happened.
    Roxie -- CPST and mommy to:
    DD1 - 11, DD2 - 9, DS - 5

I am so glad you are all okay. That would be very scary! Your insurance will probably be the ones covering it. Sonora Mexico is not required to have US insurance to drive in the US . Unfortunately we have had many drivers come through our shop that were hit by people with Sonoran plates and had to pay themelves or have thier insurance cover it. Pretty sad considering we can't go to Rocky Point without Mexican insurance coverage.
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.
    My new grandson is my signature photo

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

How scary! I'm so glad you guys are all right.

Your poor carseats, though! I guess that makes a good case for why you want fire-retardant covers - look how much they're burned as it is, can you imagine if they'd been after-market covers?

Stupid question - did the FD uninstall the MA in the second row? I'm just wondering if they pulled out the carseats to make sure they were completely out.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

Oh my gosh!!!
    I'd be the same as you and have the "what ifs" running through my head like crazy!
    I just can't believe the guy in the red car pulled up NEXT to you guys! What the heck was he thinking? do you know what happened to him? Was he out of the car when HIS car started on fire... will he be accountable for ANYthing?