Our Van Was Destroyed at WalMart (Graphic Pictures)

mimieliza

:eek: OMG! SO SCARY! I am glad you are all okay! Was the owner of the red car all right?

I don't know. That aftermarked head support in the rf MA doesn't look any worse off than the covers. :whistle:

It's the cow print MA that really amazes me. It is completely scorched, but obviously didn't ignite. That is a very good reminder of the importance of flame retardant covers.

ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I am so glad you all are okay. I know how horrible it is to have to deal with this.

I too lost a car in a car fire many moons ago. I was sitting on the highway in dead stopped rush hour traffic when mine happened. I was young and not married so no kids at the time. I started to smell what to me smelled like plastic burning and then my car started making a funny noise. I got pulled over to the shoulder since I was in the far right lane (thank goodness for once I was in the slow lane). As soon as I got out it started to just dump smoke into the passenger compartment and then flames started coming from the hood area right next to the winshield & the dash area.

It was determined to be the iginition switch that was faulty. This was back when Ford had a huge recall on them. What sucked is I HAD the iginition switched replaced just a month prior to that under the recall by a Ford dealership when I had been in an accident (guy clipped the front of my car in a parking lot when he cut to corner to short). It was determined that install had been done improperly. Lucky for me the dealership did give me a newer vehicle (not brand new as my car was 5yrs old at the time) but newer vehicle & nicer vehicle then I had.

vonfirmath

(((HUGS))) so glad it's all covered. I just wish people would exercise just a little more common sense sometimes (gee, my car is smoking, maybe I won't park next to someone else... :rolleyes:)

At our Wal-mart, this isn't necessariy always an option
An honestly, if MY car was smoking, I'm not sure how straight I'd be thinking...

PixieEMT

Can I save and photobucket the pictures of your van? I'd like to show people these when I do presentations.

For all the parents/cargivers out there that think......."I'll only be a couple seconds." The dangers of leaving a child unattended in a vehicle not only include heat stroke but something like this.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

I got goosebumps from my neck to my toes. Holy cow! So glad you and your family were not next to that when it happened!

I'm so impressed with the how the Britax covers held up! Someone should email these to all those folks selling custom made covers on EBay! That is exactly why you shouldn't use after market products. Flameretardant material rocks.

Stretchy Glue

Can I save and photobucket the pictures of your van? I'd like to show people these when I do presentations.

For all the parents/cargivers out there that think......."I'll only be a couple seconds." The dangers of leaving a child unattended in a vehicle not only include heat stroke but something like this.

I was actually going to ask for permission too, but to use as an example of what the original seat covers can withstand, instead of using botique covers.

Lilsid

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and words. I am just so happy we were not in or around the van when it all happened. I was pretty shaken up at the time but I am recovering from the shock and it will all be ok.

Any one who wants to save the pictures to use for teaching go right ahead. The more people who understand fire and fire safety and why to use the covers that come with your seat the better.

DH and I sat down to talk last night about the whole thing and he was way more positive and I was. Now I am starting to get his point and move on. He said maybe it was a blessing. The van could have had lost its transmission the next day and then we would be spending $2000 to fix it. He reminded me that I really never liked the van in the first place. The Van was given to us by my mom and we did not even pay for it it was a gift. So now I can pick out a new vehicle I want. Or I can have my 4 Runner back that DH has been driving and get him a little commuter car, since we sold his when we got the Van.

Oh well it is only a vehicle and not a person.

Lilsid

If any one needs me to email them the pictures just PM me and I will send them.

I want others to know what a car seat on fire looks like.

PixieEMT

Thank you for letting us use the pictures. I showed my DH the pictures, he was pretty shocked. I'm glad your family is ok.

Now, when do we get to help you choose new seats.....?:whistle:

PEIMommyof2

You are so lucky to have not been near or in the van when it happened. It must have been so terrifying to see it all burnt up and what could have happened.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC