Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

cakyha

Conversion vans

We are thinking of getting a conversion van and I was wondering are they at all safe and is it easy to put in a carseat into the van seats.? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Robert

Re: Conversion vans

Conversion vans are fine except on some I have found the back seats were a problem regarding the seat belts. I have found that the latch part and the buckle came out at least a foot from the seat. Depending on the child seat this might be ok. However there were times a "belt shortening clip" had to be used to shorten the webbing of the buckle part.

Caviller

More on van safety-

A few things to note on conversion vans-

Carseats and boosters must be used in front-facing vehicle seats. Side and rear-facing vehicle seats are not acceptable for kids in carseats.

Kids in boosters require a lap AND shoulder belt. Taller kids and adults will need adequate head restraints not provided on some vehicle seats.

Conversion vans are built on truck platforms. As such, they share aspects with large trucks, full size vans and SUVs. That includes handling, braking, rollover risk and frames that don't crush in crashes. Be sure to take a good, extended test drive of a similar van, as they do not drive like cars or even a minivan..

Custom conversion vans are a reasonable choice, just be sure to know the tradeoffs before you buy one, and not after:-)

Darren

Cakyha

van

Thank you very much for the advice and info I appreciate it.