Whose going to sit where and in what?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
O.k. so baby #4 has thrown everything off, my seating arrangement in my van was perfect. :p I have a Caravan w/ 2 bench seats, 2 TAs on the front bench and 1 in the back middle. AJ is ffing of course, he's 5 and 45# in a GN in the back middle. Evan is still rfing in his BV at 3.5 and 27#, but we're hoping getting his apnea fixed will get him to grow. Ilana is rfing next to him in her MA, she's 20 mos and 24#. The only place an infant seat will go is in the front bench. I'm not opposed to buying new seats if I have to, and I know I probably will, so what would you do? Booster for AJ and then Evan ffing next to him in the back? AJ still in his GN and Ilana rfing next to him in a RN? I don't like that idea so much b/c I'd have to get Ilana in and out the back, but if I have to. Leave someone in the RN untethered in the back? Thanks for helping!

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Are you opposed to having the new baby in the back?

What about

SS1, FFing Radian tethered (or RFing if Evan is still RFing), empty
walkway, FFing GN, RFing Mararthon
Passenger, Driver

The only think with RFing the Radian is that it hangs over the seat edge in front of it... I'm not sure how tall the GN is right now if it would interfere with the RFing Radian.

If you have dual doors, then you could have the RFing Radian over hang and have the RFing Marathon in the center in front of it, and put the GN outboard with easy access for AJ to still get in on the driver's side.

Then when you go to load everyone, throw the infant seat in the middle on the floor OR on the front passenger seat, load Evan and then pop the carrier into it's base.

ETA: I hear the Uptown is pretty narrow... would it fit next to the SS1 in the 3rd row?

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
If you want the baby in the middle and Evan is still RFing, what about this...

Empty, RFing Uptown, RFing Radian
Walkway, GN, SS1
Passenger, Driver

AJ jumps into his seat, SS1 gets popped into it's base, Evan and Ilana crawl into their seats. You'd have the empty seat in the back to sit down and reach over to buckle up the two in the third row.

IF Evan is FFing, just switch the Uptown and Radian's positions and you'll still have that empty spot to lean over and buckle the 3rd row kids.

If AJ is going to K and need drop-off/pick-up, then you can also switch the GN/SS1 for easier loading/unloading.

I used to have an '03 with captain's chairs and frequently drove 5 kids around so I like to play the who goes where game. :D

Starlight

Senior Community Member
Whoa, I must have missed something. Baby #4?!? Where was that announcement?!?

Congrats!!!!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Thanks, there was no announcement really. I posted on the late 08/early 09 belly thread. :)

An infant seat just doesn't fit in the 3rd row. It fits, but there's no real way to get baby in and out w/out turning them sideways and upside down! The KF fit at least, but couldn't get it out well. The SS1 couldn't get back there at all!

AJ doesn't have a drop off line as he's at a private school, so we'll just park and take him in everyday.

Oh, and I have to get a new infant seat b/c I sold ours. I'll probably end up w/ another SS1, but if not, the KF probably. :)

Currently we have a BV, a MA, 2 Uptowns, an Airway (till Oct 09 I think), a FPSV booster, and the GN. DH has already told me I can get a new convertible if needed and of course we have to get a new infant seat.

I just wish we had more TAs, that would make it a LOT easier, dumb Dodge! It's an 06, so dual doors, but just the walkway on the passenger side, no real way to get into the 3rd row from the driver's side.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Ooooo... get a keyfit... just for me. They look so nice! :D

You'll probably have an easier time getting everyone in since you have a bench. With carseats installed, it's pretty difficult to get in the third row when you have captain's chairs. ;)

I think I still like my second option best then (post#3)... unless there are kids you don't want next to each other for poking/bugging reasons. ;)

Just remembered! The '06 has LATCH in the 3rd row and if I'm not mistaken, it's off center between the driver outboard and center position.

I would be *totally* comfortable using that top tether in the driver's outboard position. In that case, (if the kids bugging each other applies) this is what I'd do...

FFing RN (no tether), empty, GN (tethered)
walkway, Keyfit/SS1, MA
Passenger, Driver

You could also put the Uptown RFing in place of the FFing RN, but AJ would have to duck under the seat to get to the GN OR crawl over the middle bench to get to the GN... not sure if that's possible or not?

Did the Keyfit fit in the passenger outboard position with the empty space in front of it? Maybe that would make it easier to get in/out? I'm guessing you have the short wheel base Caravan and not Grand Caravan, right?

If the Keyfit works in that position, you could do this...
Keyfit, empty, GN (tethered)
walkway, Radian, MA
Passenger, Driver

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Yup, it's short, not Grand. 3rd row has no LATCH, just TA in the middle spot. The Keyfit fit in the 'open' spot in the 3rd row, but I couldn't get it out w/out turning it on it's side and still then it wasn't easy. I don't think I or the baby want to do that, so baby is destined up front, probably next to Ilana. I think, it'll just come down to AJ in the middle 3rd row in his GN if possible, next to someone rfing in a RN, then someone else on the driver's side middle, next to the baby. If Evan is over 33/35#, he might move to the back middle to keep him away from the baby, I don't know. :p He loves to help, but isn't so helpful sometimes!

Kat_Momof3

Okay... I have a Caravan and have had or have all the seats you mentioned, so... this is what I would do.

middle row... Nautilus and infant seat for baby... this way, AJ can help tend the baby...

Third row - I'd put Evan RF behind the Nautilus because his seat can be as upright as needed (make sure you put the third row all the way back... and remember, you can recline it a notch or two to help with installations and space)

I'd put Ilana behind the empty space.

Now... when baby gets older, if you want to be able to easily fit a 5th person in the back of the van, I'd get an Uptown for the baby and have that between the MAs... though it will be quite a squeeze, it should work as the seats will overlap. If it doesn't work... then you will want to switch one of the MAs out for a Radian and put the MA in the middle... but still... doable.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC