Car Seat for Dogs

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Check this out--it's a car seat for dogs. (Different from the Pet Buckle-type things.)

Another tech at an update class mentioned this the other day and I just remembered to do a search for it.

I'm going to have to check it out for my dog. She's so tiny that the Pet Buckle doesn't really work for her. The strap is so long that if I were to stop quickly, she'd fly off the seat and dangle.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Eh, now that I'm looking at it some more, I don't know if I trust the strap/buckle thing on it. It does look better than those all-squishy-foam seats, though.

Also, this might not be the one that other person was talking about. The one she mentioned sounded more like an infant seat with a crate you snap in or something? Anyone know about something like that?

TerisBoys

My brother and SIL have the first one for their 5# chihuahua.

It really is quite sturdy and installs securely. The restraint strap is short enough that Maize couldn't get out of her 'seat' if she tried.

They do use a padded harness similar to this with it instead of a regular nylon harness.

Kyras_Mama

I would go for a harness that attaches to the seatbelt before I'd go for the carrier thing! When Ruffrider was doing their crash testing for their dog car safety harnesses they tested a dog in a plastic crate like that and when the dummy dog hit the plastic crate it shattered! (Think dead dog AND sharp plastic shrapnel flying around the car). Yes, if you stop quick or roll over the dog will end up being suspended by the harness if it's a quick stop, but as long as you chose one that is tested to the same type of standards as seatbelts for crashes that's ok! My brother and SIL were in a crash with their dogs in ruffrider harnesses tethered in the back of their SUV and they rolled over. The dogs were hanging by their harnesses, but fine otherwise! They had less bumps and bruises than the people! We use the ruffrider "roadie elites" and love them for our two. (One 70lb dog and one 25.)

Mom to a few

Ok, I'm serial posting on my own thread. Sorry!

Anyway, here's the "infant carrier" type. http://www.hunterk9.com/site/870877/product/PG1500SG

That looks so cool! I just worry about the dog hitting the side of the crate in a crash...

I was interested in this product for our small dogs, so I contacted the company. I asked them about their crash tests because I was concerned that the kennel would just pop off the base in a crash--potentially injuring me, dh, or epecially one of our kids. No one would ever respond to me, so it made me assume that they didn't really test it.:whistle:

I decided that I was more comfortable putting our regular kennel on the floor of the cargo area in our van (since it's recessed down into the floor) because I felt like it would be less likely to harm other passengers there.

I'd feel a little better if the kennel itself had slots to slide the seatbelt through so you didn't have to worry about their base failing. And when I played with that first one you listed in the store, it actually felt really flimsy to me :confused:

Don't get me wrong, I DO want to protect my dogs, but my kids safety comes 1st. The last thing we need is that kennel slamming around into their heads in a collision. :twocents:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, it's a cute concept, but doesn't seem like the best solution. I'll stick with the hanging-dog harness. The dog hardly ever rides in the car anyway.

NVMBR02

My sister has the first one for her chihuahua puppy, she is just under 3 pounds and none of the other harnesses fit her well. I didn't get a chance to play with it, but it looked pretty secure.

I have never seen the second one you posted before.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC