Question Booster without arm rests? Need a sleek booster

shaycp

I need a booster seat for my 5yo 60lb boy. He is in a belt positioning booster now, but I am moving my 1 yo DD into a convertible car seat and I need the booster to go right next to DD (she's in the middle). I've tried a backless Graco booster and the armrests are right in the way of getting my hand down into the miniscule space to reach the seatbelt buckle. I have an old FP Grow-with-me that I've been using a belt positioning booster and it has no arm rests. It is an awesome booster because it is so sleek. But I only have one and need another one like it for my second car. Does anyone know of a seat like this (Or have an old grow-with-me they'd like to sell?)

Advice appreciated!

Shay

PS I need them to be right next to each other because 8yo DD is on the other side of baby DD.

ADS

MomToEliEm

The fisher price safe voyage booster seat might work for you. It does have armrests, but it is very narrow. It doesn't extend as high as many other boosters though so it might not last until the child is ready for just a seatbelt.
http://www.albeebaby.com/fisher-price-safe-voyage-booster-car-seat-tan-tech.html

The britax parkway is also narrow (not as narrow as the FPSV) and has no armrests. It is being discontinued though so it might not be easy to find.
http://www.amazon.com/Britax-Parkwa..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=16K3CZG9T6MGCGYT48ZN

shaycp

Thanks Katy. I'm afraid the FPSV booster still won't work because of the darned arm rests. I literally have two inches of space in a little "pocket" next to the FPSV convertible to get my hand in to buckle my son into his booster. What really kills me is that he knows how to buckle himself but now I will have to do it because the space is so small. When are car seat manufacturers really going to get it? I mean really get it -- and make car seats that actually work in normal cars. I have a Prius, and I make no apologies for not having a "family car" for our three kids. When I was little we had a two door car and all three of us rode in the back. I'm all for safety but I think it should be reasonable to put a family of five into a four-door car. Not all of us can pay $4/gallong to fill our 18mpg mini van or SUV!

Shay, happily getting 42mpg, but suffering with car seat issues!

shaycp

Update: I ordered the Cosco High Back booster ($43 from Walmart) to see if that will work. It appears to not have armrests but I have no way of knowing just how wide it is. I need something pretty narrow. I also ordered a Radian65, and that is going to be DD's main seat in one of our cars. I was hoping to get a FPSV into one car and a Radian into the other for her. (to avoid paying for two Radians, even though I'm sure they're great seats.) I guess I will wait and see how the Radian installs into both cars - the other car is an older Saab - and then if it really is better I'll return or sell the FPSV. It's a nice seat though, so I hope I can make it work. I got it for a steal at albeebaby and the shipping was free. It arrived in 48 hours! (I'm in MA if that matters) In case anyone is wondering, the DOM is Sept 2007 (FPSV convertible just purchased from albeebaby.com)

Shay

singingpond

We use a Parkway booster in a tight three-across situation (3 kids in a '96 Corolla; DS#1 is outboard in the Parkway, next to his little sister who is in a RF Radian in the center). It is still a nuisance to buckle the booster, but it is quite manageable with practice. The Parkway is great in this kind of situation, since it is relatively narrow and has no armrests. Unfortunately (as another poster pointed out) it is being discontinued, although you can still find some retailers selling it. I am not sure how wide the Cosco booster you ordered is; it's not one of the ones usually mentioned when people look for narrow boosters, but I hope it works for you.

I'm really not sure what I would replace our Parkway with... if we had to replace it. Sometimes I wonder if I should order another Parkway (or two) while I still can find them online (since we expect to have at least one small car for years to come). Unfortunately boosters have an expiration date also, so we can't just stockpile them for future use....

Katrin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC