Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Warning about your Scenera

Ahhhh yes! So today I went to reinstall the Scenera into my husband's car. I had taken it out on Monday to take it to the "ABC's of baby care" class at the local hospital.

So, the locking latch plate was stuck on the crotch strap. I pulled back the cover on the left side of the seat to get my hand in and to my suprise this is what I saw!!!!!!!!
    DOM of 12/12/07 purchased in Feb 2008

It was on the left side the part of the harness that extends up by his hip!
    I took the seat out and flipped it over to find this:

and this

So, I took the Scenera and literally threw it onto my front porch...adding some blepp *bleep* *%!@* ! My husband standing there just staring at me! "This what you get when you buy Dorel s*it!" I screamed! "We're going to buy an EFTA right now! Husband did not argue on bit...he was actually pissed too!

Bought the EFTA didn't like it so we returned it. The EPP foam that is next to the rear facing belt slots was a turn off. I can kind of imagine over time it chipping, from installing and reinstalling the seat. Maybe not...I don't want to chance it.

Called Dorel! Only to get a half a@@ answer! The customer service lady was a real witch.
    CS: "Well mama, cut the harness off and send it to us in a prepaid envelope and we will ship you a new "puncture proof" harness."
    Me: Ummmmm NO, I'm a CPST...I can clearly see this jagged edge that will continue to shred my harness and I don't want your replacement parts, replacement seat, I want my money BACK!
    CS: Mama don't cut me off or I will disconnect you and don't interupt me when I' m speaking!
    Oh really sweet heart!!!
    ME: Why all of the sudden do you have "puncture proof" harnesses??? Do you know that your having this problem with the jagged plastic piece underneath!??!?!
    CS: No we aren't having problems, we are making all our seats now with "Puncture proof harnesses."
    YAAAAAA RIGHT LADY

ME: I have a credit card statment with the purchase on it.
    CS: We need the original receipt of purchase from the store, that's what my superivisor said. If you buy our product , we refund you up to $49.99 and ask you to send us the destroyed seat parts. Fax us the receipt.
    ME: FINE!

SO RETURNED MY EFTA to Kmart and bought a Scenera....which I plan on returning after I copy my receipt and fax it to them!!!! and look what the new seat with a DOM of 5/2008 looks like!!!!

compared to this and the display model is an older 2007 in Kmart the same way!

Can we say Touriva notches everyone??? We all know about that! DOREL IS A JOKE I WILL NEVER BUY A SINGLE PRODUCT MADE BY THEM AGAIN!
    I'm sending an email with pictures tonight to them and calling back and requesting a supervisor tomorrow!
    I filed a complaint with NHTSA ...btw!!!!!!!!
    Sara
    Last edited by PixieEMT; 06-10-2008 at 09:31 PM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Re: Warning about your Scenera

Unfortunately, I've heard of this problem before. Almost had it happen on mine, but since I knew to make sure the straps were not touching those spikes before installing the seat rfing, I haven't had any problems. It sucks though for those who don't know to be careful and move the straps out of the way and get punctures like that.

I wonder how they made puncture proof harnesses anyway??

CCO 4/15

Interesting. My Scenera, which happens to be sitting here next to me, has the same pointy bits, but the strap isn't frayed or damaged at all. DOM 12/19/06.
    Homeschooling mama to safely transported kids-
    DD1- 11/2001 - 61.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)
    DD2- 11/2004 - 62.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)

Carseat Crazy

Well, this doesn't make me happy. We were getting ready to buy one for Grandma's car for our RF 18m old.
    hmmmmmm
    DS 10/7/97- Seatbelt
    DS 3/8/04- Recaro Vivo
    DS 12/13/06- Britax MA
    DS 5/29/09- Britax MA

we had that same problem! dorel replaced my seat for me.. i noticed the harness wasnt tightening well and kept getting hung up when i uninstalled it thats what i found

I am glad our Scenera was crashed......

Crystal, CPST Mama to Zoe 11/30/2006 , Ollie 1/3/2010 , Eli 9/24/2012 and Baby Isabel 7/23/2015

Ya, I'm glad we're looking into a Britax, Recaro, or Radian. Haven't decided. It just makes me mad thinking how sneaky Dorel can be.

We need a secondary seat and I've considered just buying a Scenera, but I haven't been able to get over the Touriva notches fiasco. And Evenflo has also had some serious problems with their infant seats that makes me wary of that company as well.

For now, I have a Roundabout that my DD has outgrown RFing (so we're not currently using it). It kind of sucks to not have many options for convertibles under $150.
    michelle mama to
    dd 10.30.06 graco connext & recaro performance booster
    ds 5.4.10 sunshine kids radian xtsl & graco nautilus safety surround
    riding safely in a 2014 mazda 5 and a 2002 subaru forester

Yeah, the little pointy things on the end of the scenera poked holes in our harness.

Here
    is the thread where I posted about it, in May 2006. I'm sure, if I hadn't noticed them at that time, I would
    have the same issue you had (that is...long jagged--and not...pokes)

The pics I posted back then:

THAT seat had a DOM of Jan 2006, I called Dorel and they replaced the harness with no issues--though, they did ...remind me...to make sure I kept the receipts for any future car-seat purchases. Which was annoying--but yeah, this is not a "new" issue, since I had it in 2006. Once I was aware of the little puncture points at the bottom, I made sure that I never loosened the harness too much while it was installed--lest it slipped beyond those points, and I never had any other holes. But still it's stupid!

ETA: I no longer have a scenera. I ended up only using that seat for about a year, before I replaced it with the FPSVD.
    apparently, people put stuff here.
    imagine:
    photos of my extremely adorable spawn.
    their stats and a
    witty quote.

posted from my computer using the internet...
    Super SEEEEKRIT stuff here.

Don't call Dorel, call NHTSA. We have a gal on our team that is working with NHTSA right now on this exact problem. She got a box of the straps because we give this seat away and she said they are much tougher, thicker and more puncture resistant. NHTSA needs to know though, because Dorel is minimizing the problem.
    Joni
    Sunshine, 11, 5'3", 100 lbs in a 15.5" saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Stretchy Glue View Post
    Don't call Dorel, call NHTSA. We have a gal on our team that is working with NHTSA right now on this exact problem. She got a box of the straps because we give this seat away and she said they are much tougher, thicker and more puncture resistant. NHTSA needs to know though, because Dorel is minimizing the problem.

I fried that fish this afternoon! heeeee
    I only wish I could have sent pictures with it!

I just got done emailing DOREL corp direct. Not Dorel Juvenile because they had one of those crappy email us from their website click the boxes..and I wanted pics to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplysomething View Post
    Yeah, the little pointy things on the end of the scenera poked holes in our harness.

Here
    is the thread where I posted about it, in May 2006. I'm sure, if I hadn't noticed them at that time, I would
    have the same issue you had (that is...long jagged--and not...pokes)

THAT seat had a DOM of Jan 2006, I called Dorel and they replaced the harness with no issues--though, they did ...remind me...to make sure I kept the receipts for any future car-seat purchases. Which was annoying--but yeah, this is not a "new" issue, since I had it in 2006. Once I was aware of the little puncture points at the bottom, I made sure that I never loosened the harness too much while it was installed--lest it slipped beyond those points, and I never had any other holes. But still it's stupid!

ETA: I no longer have a scenera. I ended up only using that seat for about a year, before I replaced it with the FPSVD.

On the loosening the harness too much. Yes, because even if forward facing if you loosened the harness up then gave it a pull it could catch on the spikes. They know they have/had a problem.......they are just sneaky rats.

Great! I own a Scenera & now I am going to have to check it! I am unfortunatly nowhere near it right now, as in 3 hours away from it! Hehe! So hopefully I can remember in a week to check it!
    Krista Mommy 2 Marcus, 6 years old, 48 inches tall, 40-42lbs, 16 inch torso & riding in a Graco Safety Surround!!

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

CPS Technician

I've got a Scenera from Target, DOM 1-31-2008. It's got the spikes.

Should I report to NHTSA as well?

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

I just got a Scenera a few weeks ago for ds3 to use in dh's car. I have a Touriva, but it has the notches and I don't wish to mess with that, thankyouverymuch. I will have to check on this when dh gets home. Ugh.
    Amy Expired (need to recert!) CPST & Mom to 8 great kids, 3 in a seatbelt, 5 in seats

Quote Originally Posted by SusanMae View Post
    I've got a Scenera from Target, DOM 1-31-2008. It's got the spikes.

Should I report to NHTSA as well?

Susan
    Don't ALL the Sceneras have the spikes?
    apparently, people put stuff here.
    imagine:
    photos of my extremely adorable spawn.
    their stats and a
    witty quote.

posted from my computer using the internet...
    Super SEEEEKRIT stuff here.

Supposedly they "fixed" the spikes, but since the fix, there seems to be more problems. If I had aScenera in use right now, I might put tape on the spike to make it more blunt. Not so much as to interfere, but just enough to make the ends not so sharp.
    Joni
    Sunshine, 11, 5'3", 100 lbs in a 15.5" saddle

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Mine has a DOM of 11-07 and has spikes. I haven't had a problem, but that's probably because I've only used the seat about 5 times. I will report it to NHTSA when I have a chance.

I also looked at the (pink) Scenera on display at Meijer when we were grocery shopping this morning. DOM 3-08, with spikes.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2Marcus View Post
    Great! I own a Scenera & now I am going to have to check it! I am unfortunatly nowhere near it right now, as in 3 hours away from it! Hehe! So hopefully I can remember in a week to check it!
    Right there with you! Going to have to check it tomorrow when I get home, Argh! Everytime I think I've got the carseat situation all sorted out something else happens!
    CPST & Mom to 3 great daughters
    DDM 20 yrs EMTbasic; Seatbelt
    DDK 1/10/06 54# Cybex X-Fix-booster - doing GREAT
    DDG 7/10/07 43# FF RE
    "You know you're healing when your sadness no longer affects your happiness" anon

What's up doc!? I brought carrots to the soup. You?