Car seat positioning in 2nd row seat

S

scarter2002

Car seat positioning in 2nd row seat

I would like to know the safest place for my childs car seat to be placed in my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo. The carseat is a Century Bravo. My child is approx. 35 pounds. I recently was pulled over in a carseat check and they moved our carseat from the center of the 2nd row seat to the right passenger side. The reason was because of the tethers (on both the left and right sides). My question is: Is it safer for the carseat to be placed directly behind me in the 2nd row seat or on the passenger side? The only reason I can see that they put her on the passenger side is because the left side folds down. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you may have. Thank you.

ADS
C

Caviller

Not much difference-

Technically, it might even be a hair safer in the center if it fit well, even without a tether. The overall difference between center without tether and either side with tether is pretty small.

Some parents like the passenger side because they can keep a better eye on the kids and load/unload on the curb side. Statistically, you are very slightly less likely to be hit on the passenger side. Also, as you said, the back of a front seat could fold onto a child behind in a severe rear-ender. Fortunately, those are very rare but since the passenger side is less likely to be occupied it has a very slight advantage there, too.

Overall, it isn't a huge difference. It it fits better where it is now than where it was, it is probably best to leave it:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC