Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

scarter2002

Car seat positioning in 2nd row seat

I would like to know the safest place for my childs car seat to be placed in my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo. The carseat is a Century Bravo. My child is approx. 35 pounds. I recently was pulled over in a carseat check and they moved our carseat from the center of the 2nd row seat to the right passenger side. The reason was because of the tethers (on both the left and right sides). My question is: Is it safer for the carseat to be placed directly behind me in the 2nd row seat or on the passenger side? The only reason I can see that they put her on the passenger side is because the left side folds down. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you may have. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Caviller

Not much difference-

Technically, it might even be a hair safer in the center if it fit well, even without a tether. The overall difference between center without tether and either side with tether is pretty small.

Some parents like the passenger side because they can keep a better eye on the kids and load/unload on the curb side. Statistically, you are very slightly less likely to be hit on the passenger side. Also, as you said, the back of a front seat could fold onto a child behind in a severe rear-ender. Fortunately, those are very rare but since the passenger side is less likely to be occupied it has a very slight advantage there, too.

Overall, it isn't a huge difference. It it fits better where it is now than where it was, it is probably best to leave it:-)