Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Crash test videos to show dangers of BF while in a moving car?

Are there any crash test videos that show the dangers of breastfeeding a child in a car seat in a moving vehicle? Or even just leaning over a child? I'm trying to explain the dangers on another forum, but I'm not getting through. A few people think it's fine as long as both mom and baby are strapped in, and there's just a bit of leaning going on. Or am I off my rocker thinking that it's dangerous?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Crash test videos to show dangers of BF while in a moving car?

You're completely right.

Remind them of the Five Step test - one of the points is that the child can sit with the seatbelt PERFECTLY positioned ALL THE TIME. If mom is leaning over baby, she is effectively only wearing a lap belt, and WILL crash into the baby.

Show them lap-belt-only crash tests. There may be some youtube vids.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Yup -- I mentioned that a kid that doesn't sit all the way back in a booster isn't properly positioned. So if mom isn't sitting all the way back, she's not properly positioned, either. Yet I keep getting the same reply about being buckled in, as if I'm the one who's misunderstanding... I really am trying to help!

When you say she's effectively using a lap belt, what do you mean? Because the shoulder part is pulled out so much that it's ineffective?

Yes. Leaning forward like that the shoulder belt will not do it's job in a crash, so for all intents and purposes, she's not using it. Yes, she is restrained, but not to revent injury. A lapbelt's only job is to keep the passenger in the vehicle. So she's not likely to be ejected, but she's not going to be protected from injury and her head & upper body WILL slam into the baby.

Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3KXZQu4niA

Here's a link explaining the injuries MOM will recieve: http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/pe...al-injury.html

Oh, and you might want to mention do they REALLY want their nipples in their child's mouth when in a crash? The child isn't necessarily going to let go before injury occurs.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

And if you need one for why not to remove the baby to nurse (which amazingly is STILL legal in some places)...For the "I can hold him/her" parents...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYQE1Hskjc

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post
    Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3KXZQu4niA

Here's a link explaining the injuries MOM will recieve: http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/pe...al-injury.html

Oh, and you might want to mention do they REALLY want their nipples in their child's mouth when in a crash? The child isn't necessarily going to let go before injury occurs.
    Thanks! and OUCH at your second point!!!!!

Teri -- I found that one yesterday when I was bored and looking through crash test videos. Scary! There was another one that had a female dummy and baby on the lap in the front seat. Whack, right into the windshield.

I used to bring my pump where ever i went and just pumped for ds and then just gave him a bottle if he had a fit while we are driving.