Question Anyone else's child feel like the Nautilus is too narrow?

kphil

*Pics Added* Anyone else's child feel like the Nautilus is too narrow?

I just tried my 8yo in her little sister's GN, and she found it too squishy at her shoulders. It actually looks that way to me, too, so I don't think she's being oversensitive. She's a slenderish 8yo--about 51" and 52 pounds, so it's not like she's wide. I'm puzzling over what I'm putting her in next, and considered letting her ride in the GN for now while 5yo rides in our EFTA, but I think she doesn't have enough width in the GN.

Back to the drawing board...

Kirsten

Last edited:
ADS

ginny4

me too. my older kids were SQUISHED in it. & i don't see them as big kids they are quite slim but perhaps broad in shoulders. for us it wasn't a good longevity seat. i'd consider it as a 2nd seat but at the time i was looking for a main seat

scatterbunny

When I tried my dd in the seat at 6.5yo, 51.5 inches tall and 58-59 pounds, she barely fit heightwise, but didn't complain about feeling squished. She's a very vocal kid about her comfort, too, so she would have let me know if she didn't like the way it felt. :p I tried her in it again on Saturday, a couple weeks after she turned 7, 52.5 inches tall and 60 pounds. She's an inch over the top slots (guess that whole last inch was torso :p ) now, but still didn't say she felt squished. I certainly didn't notice she looked squished. I guess I need to put her back in my friend's Nauti next time I see her, and take specific note of how she looks across the shoulders.

kphil

Just thinking out loud, but I wonder if it's something about being an in-between size. Like for a bigger kid, they might be wide enough that their shoulders are more outside the side wings, kwim? Whereas she's small enough that her shoulders are trying to fit between them, and that just looks too narrow. I know a picture might help here, but I don't have one with her in it. I may try to snap one later.

ginny4

here are my 2. at the time ds#1 was 8.75yo & ovwer the weight limit too. too tall for the harness but OK still for the booster mode.
2008-2009.jpg

& ds#2 was 7.5 or so & just fit harness in the house. i doubt he'd fit it in the car. he was super close to the weight limit on harness.
2008-2008.jpg

i was really looking for my DD to get this seat & she fit but her shoudlers were already squuezed between the sides. she thought it was comfy but my boys didn't like it one bit. someone had mentioned that the nauti sides are like a captain seat in some vans. where they are contoured a bit but your shoudles don't necessarily fit between the actual sides. but i also wanted actual SHELL for my DD for the extra protection which she wouldn't have later when she grew a bit more.

amy919

I agree that the Nautilus is pretty narrow in the shoulder area, but we've never had any complaints and I have a very particular child who moved into the Nautilus from a Regent. In the Regent, she was actually less comfortable because of it's size. I guess she was used to the MA, maybe. She's very tall, but thin, so I am sure that makes a big difference as well. She says that it "hugs" her and she loves it. She's not at all squished in it and I think should could easily stay comfortably harnessed in it until about 7. She really wanted a Parkway and I was very tempted to get one when they were all on clearance. Just for comparison's sake, when we tried it, she actually complained about being squished in the Parkway, but has no issue with the Nautilus.

zactayaus

Here's a pic of my 10yo in the GN. We have the Frontier also and she said she likes the GN better. She does not use either seat however because they are her 5yo brother's seats.

100_1788.jpg

NOAHSMOM

At almost five my son seems to have a decent amount of growing room in the shoulder area and he continues to say that he likes the GN.

kphil

Here are the pictures of my 8yo who feels squished in the GN:

325033141_4r9fR-M.jpg

325033155_k2cRn-M.jpg

My 5yo OTOH has the wings wrap around her nicely.

And while I'm posting pics, I tried to get a picture of how much room she has left before the tallest slot--my finger is at the slot. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to whether she would still fit harnessed in a Frontier? I'm thinking she may be close to being out of it:

325033171_bP8Tn-M.jpg

Thanks!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
The more pics I see, the more I'm convinced my kids must be narrow, lol. Here's AJ a few wks ago, obviously not squished.
may08001.jpg

ZephyrBlue

Okay, when did S get dark hair??? I remember her hair as being super blonde, like G's :)

K's 8, too, and she fits well in the Nauti- but her shoulders are really narrow. She does have LOTS more shoulder room in the Frontier than in the Nautilus, though. From the pic, I'd say that S would be pretty darn close to being even w/the top slot in the Frontier.

abckidsmom

here are my 2. at the time ds#1 was 8.75yo & ovwer the weight limit too. too tall for the harness but OK still for the booster mode.
2008-2009.jpg

& ds#2 was 7.5 or so & just fit harness in the house. i doubt he'd fit it in the car. he was super close to the weight limit on harness.
2008-2008.jpg

i was really looking for my DD to get this seat & she fit but her shoudlers were already squuezed between the sides. she thought it was comfy but my boys didn't like it one bit. someone had mentioned that the nauti sides are like a captain seat in some vans. where they are contoured a bit but your shoudles don't necessarily fit between the actual sides. but i also wanted actual SHELL for my DD for the extra protection which she wouldn't have later when she grew a bit more.

Wondering. Why would a kid fit the seat in the house, but not the car. Just asking, I don't understand that.

scatterbunny

Seats fit differently in the house/on the floor than they do installed because most vehicle seats are not perfectly flat like our living room floor. :p The vehicle seat is smooshy and contoured and slanted, making the seat slope differently, making the child fit differently. It sounds crazy, I know. Kids can fit the exact same carseat differently installed in two different vehicles, too, and the difference can be significant in some cases. My dd was too tall for a certain seat in my vehicle MONTHS before she was too tall for it in dh's truck.

I got some pics of my 7yo in the Nautilus a few days ago. Her stats are in my signature, she's 97th percentile for height and 90th for weight, over the top slots, so too tall for the harness, but didn't feel squished in the shoulders. I'll start a new thread for the pics, though, because I'm going to compare the Nautilus fit to the Regent fit. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC