Question lookingfor some good advice

U

Unregistered

hi, iam new here,need some advice on purchasing the new carseats... i have been reading the threads and now want to get an advice directlyon my situation,
i have two little boys the older is 4 years old 41 lbs and 41 inches high, sitting htis 14.5 inches. the younger is 9 months already 20 lbs,28 inches and i think his sitting ht is 12 inches...
my older one has a safty first summit that we bought 2 years back thinking it will go till 100lbs and was happy with that, however now before he turned 4years he is already 41lbs and that has to be a lap shoulder belt positioned, i feel he is still a little boy and shoudnt
be out of 5pt harness................obviously need a new seat for younger one as well.
so iam was thinking about britax frontier or graco nautalis for older one... where as the top slot for harness ht,i think he will be above the wt limit (80lbs) before he is tall enough to reach the top slot of harness, thats what i feel.......now iam also told about the Regent that has a higher top slot to keep them harnessed but then it wont change to booster so we need another booster after that..that i dont want to buy..... i want some advice what should i get for him, frontier /nautalis/regent
Now the younger one... i was thinking a convertable(britax or any other you suggest)/or buy an intermediate cheap one as he is already 20lbs and will be 22 soon and when he reachs 22 lbs get him a frontier or regent as well...( after 3 months when he will be one year old we are going on an extended 6 month trip abroad where he will not need the car seat, when he will be back he will be 18 months old and hopefully around 25 lbs , so what ever we buy now will be used for 3 more months)
if i buy the covertabkle for him do you think by tyhe time he will reach 65 lbs may be at 6-7 years my elder one will be out of his frontier /nautalis and he can get that booster?they are 31/2 years apart?
i know i have asked lots of questions but i think nowhere else i could get better sugestions .. thanks

ADS

MOM25BOYS

Hi and Welcome.:)

I think the Graco Nautilus would be a good choice for your 4 yr old. For the money you can keep him harnessed to 65lbs, then move to a high back booster, and around 8 or 9 to a Low back.;) The Regent is also a great seat, but HUGE and like you said doesn't go to a booster. They are a little more than a Nautilus. As for the Frontier, I have yet to play with it and sure someone who has will chime in.

As for you youngest one a good option would be a Britax Marathon or the EFTA, Evenflo Triumph Advance.:) The newer Marathon have a Rearfacing weight limit of 35lbs and so does the EFTA. That would be the safest for him and I would highly recommend keeping him RF to the limit of the seat.;) My DS is happly RF at 22mths and is only 28lbs.:D

I am sure a tech will let you know more about your options and good luck on shopping!:D

scatterbunny

Here's my list of recommended seats. :) That list should be updated to include the Compass True Fit convertible seat and the Britax Frontier combination seat, I just haven't gotten around to doing that yet. :eek:

My 97th-percentile-for-height/90th-percentile for weight 7yo would have outgrown a Nautilus harnessed by height somewhere between 6.5yo and 7yo, at about 60 pounds. The Frontier's top slots are basically the same as the Nautilus; maybe just a smidge shorter, so my dd would be too tall for the harness on that, too. She is evenly proportioned (average torso and leg length for her height). She still has some room in a Regent now, a couple weeks after turning 7, hopefully a full year, but I expect at least 6-9 months. She is a full inch over the Nautilus top slots now, even though she barely fit in it 6 months ago, because the entire last inch of height growth was torso. :rolleyes:

I think the Frontier and Nautilus are adequate to harness most kids to age 6-8: even the big kids! Most kids are mature enough at age 6-8 to use a booster properly, so barring any medical or developmental issues that would make harnessing as long as humanly possible preferable, given the choices available now, if I were shopping for a 41#/41" 4yo with a 14.5" torso, I would choose a Nautilus or Frontier over a Regent. We own a Regent and love it, but when I was shopping for a seat for my child at that age and size, the Regent (well, Husky, precursor to the Regent at that time) was the only option. The Nautilus and Frontier both make good boosters later. The Frontier adjusts much, much taller in highback booster mode.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC