Installing a Britax Boulevard in a 2005 Dodge Ram

andaloosa

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Britax Boulevard for my 7mo old DD. I installed it last night and thought I had it right, but it seemed too easy.

First concern:
I want the seat installed rear-facing (of course) in the center of the back seat, but there are no LATCH points in the center - just on the outboard seats. I don't know if I've gotten the shoulder/lap belt tight enough since I'm having trouble telling if I can move it an inch or not. I can't kneel on the seat and when my husband pushes down on the seat, he's in the way for me to tighten the belt and then close the lock-off.

Second concern:
The Britax site shows a video of being able to install the RF tether to a front seat anchor point (since my truck has no built-in tether points), but doing this seems to pull the seat at an angle. Is this because I have the tether too tight? Or because I have the seatbelt too loose?

I should probably post some pictures, huh. Please let me know what you'd like pictures of and I will try to get them on today.

Thanks!

ADS

sunnymw

I am not a tech ;)

I can't kneel on the seat and when my husband pushes down on the seat, he's in the way for me to tighten the belt and then close the lock-off.

Could he get on the buckle side of the car seat, which would put you on the side where the seat belt comes out of the seat, able to pull on the seat belt and then put it through that lock-off?

The top tether just needs to be taut, not so tight it pulls the seat down/over. If the base of the carseat comes up off the vehicle seat, then the top tether is both too tight AND the seatbelt too loose ;)

As far as the inch of movement... you just try to move it at the belt path--not the top of the seat, just at the base. And you don't put your full power into it. Maybe someone else can explain it better, LOL

Pics always help though :D

andaloosa

Could he get on the buckle side of the car seat, which would put you on the side where the seat belt comes out of the seat, able to pull on the seat belt and then put it through that lock-off?

Of course we didn't think of that - not at 11pm :hitselfonhead:
We'll do that before our 600 mile road trip Friday (she won't be going anywhere tomorrow).

The top tether just needs to be taut, not so tight it pulls the seat down/over. If the base of the carseat comes up off the vehicle seat, then the top tether is both too tight AND the seatbelt too loose

As far as the inch of movement... you just try to move it at the belt path--not the top of the seat, just at the base. And you don't put your full power into it.

The tether is not pulling the seat down or over - it"s just making the bottom (base) dig into the seat a little more. And I know I can't move the seat an inch at the belt path.

Sorry I didn't get any pictures up. No time! *sigh*

Thanks!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
As far a RF tether goes here is a pic of mine. I have a 2006 Dodge Ram Quad cab. Marathon is in the rear center and tethered off to the side just a little. Remember when you tether RF you do not need to pull it tight. You just need to remove the slack and make it taught.
1876851557_fe2c2248a5.jpg

You can see more car seat in stalls in this folder.

ETA: Your BV should have come with a D ring in the storage pocket to wrap around the create an anchor point. Vehicles generally do not have RF anchor points.

sunnymw

Of course we didn't think of that - not at 11pm

Don't worry... you should see what my brain can't comprehend at 11pm LOL

If you're not getting any movement on the belt path and the seat isn't coming up off the seat, you probably just have the tether too tight. I can pluck mine like a guitar string, if that gives you any reference.
radian010.jpg

The one on the outside (left) is the Boulevard :) I can still use the seat pocket behind it. Well, if I could reach it, I could.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC