CARES Harness for Planes

Anyone know anything about a CARES harness that is approved for planes?
Just found a website on it, but interested to know what you guys think of it?
Thanks

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
You should search the archives for extensive discussion of the CARES harness, but the summary is:
1) Most kids who could be using CARES will need a carseat at their destination, so you might as well just use that seat on the plane.
2) There is some concern that the CARES harness may not fit all children well and is extremely easy to misues. In fact, the photos on the company's own website show many misuses and inappropriate fits.
3) It can be a nice option for someone who is traveling with an older child who is 40-ish lb and who has a carseat waiting for them when they land (perhaps they're visiting family who have a spare seat in the vehicle for the child already).

Citrine

I have read mixed reviews on that as I was looking into one for our upcoming trip. The way this attatched to the seat is. the strap has to go around the seat. Which means the person sitting behind you can not use the tray table bc your childs strap is around it. Also there is nothing holding the kid from sliding out of the harness, no crotch strap. Seems like a good idea as long as you know the person behind you and you dont mind propping your kid so she/he does not slide out.

minismom

I have read mixed reviews on that as I was looking into one for our upcoming trip. The way this attatched to the seat is. the strap has to go around the seat. Which means the person sitting behind you can not use the tray table bc your childs strap is around it. Also there is nothing holding the kid from sliding out of the harness, no crotch strap. Seems like a good idea as long as you know the person behind you and you dont mind propping your kid so she/he does not slide out.

Just FYI the person behind the child can still use the table. You're supposed to lower the table, wrap the harness around the seat and then the table goes over it.
I agree it's a good choice for an older child if you have a seat at your destinaton.

BudgieStew

We plan on renting two for an upcoming flight my children are taking with my children. I was ecstatic when Transport Canada and Air Canada approved the use of them on flights.
Our youngest is RF in the car but I am comfortable with her FF on a flights as she is two and half years old.

We will have seats waiting for them so I am pretty happy that I have the option of keeping the kids harnessed on the plane without them lugging two Radians and having my parents have to mess with carrying them\unfolding and installing them, putting away their carry on and corralling the children in the two minutes they allow for pre boarding.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC