Graco Nautilus Question

Evolily

My mom has a 98 Grand Am, and we want to buy a extended harness seat as my brother is outgrowing is current seat (a PITA cosco highback) by height. Her car does not have latch or tethers of any sort. As he is 3 1/2 we DON'T want to have to put him in a belt positioning booster, and most of the seats are too expensive and not compatible with her car anyway.

I'm reading the manual for the Nautilus ( here and it says "Many seatbelts are not safe with this child restraint". How do I find out if her seatbelt is safe for use with it???

ADS

amy919

I noticed that they say that in several of their manuals. Honestly, I have no idea what they mean. Maybe they're urging people to have their seat belts checked? I don't think people think about relacing seat belts after accidents. I'm just guessing though...

I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with the car you are trying to install the Nautilus in. Do you have a BRU near you where you could go and try it out first?

Good for you for wanting to keep your little harnessed :thumbsup:! You're absolutely right. At 3 1/2, they are not ready for a booster!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
"Many seatbelts are not safe with this child restraint".

They definitely should not say "MANY" seatbelts are not safe to use with a child restraint. :rolleyes: There are a few types of seatbelts that aren't safe to use with a child restraint. If the vehicle has a standard lap/shoulder belt where you plan to install the car seat, it's probably OK. Check out this great site to learn more about the different types of seat belts and how they lock: http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

mominabigtruck

I had a 98 grand am many years ago and it was a breeze to install seats in. If I recall correctly the middle seat is lapbelt only which is a breeze for installing seats. I'm not sure of outboard because at the time I only had one child but iirc they are lightweight locking latchplates which are again fine. HTH

ffpmcps

My sister just got rid of a Grand Am 97 or 98. I had installed DD GN in it a couple of times. She also had my niece in it so I had to install it outboard with the L/S belt and a locking clip. It installed nice and tight and wasn't any more difficult than any other install with a locking clip. I can't remember now if hers didn't have lightweight locking latchplates or if it just didn't work well??

Andrea

BookMama

Senior Community Member
My sister just got rid of a Grand Am 97 or 98. I had installed DD GN in it a couple of times. She also had my niece in it so I had to install it outboard with the L/S belt and a locking clip. It installed nice and tight and wasn't any more difficult than any other install with a locking clip. I can't remember now if hers didn't have lightweight locking latchplates or if it just didn't work well??

Andrea

Starting in 1996, all seat belts are required to lock in some way. If you determined that you really did need a locking clip for a lap/shoulder belt in a 1997 or 1998 vehicle, it must have been because the lightweight locking latchplates didn't work well.

Evolily

Thanks for the replies! They should really elaborate on that line in the manual :thumbsdown: . I'm glad to hear that someone has had good luck with the GN in a grand am, *hopefully* I can get her to keep the babies in five point harness seats for a while.

Oh, and we always use the locking clips with the outbound seats :shrug-shoulders: .

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Oh, and we always use the locking clips with the outbound seats :shrug-shoulders: .

You shouldn't need a locking clip in a 1998 vehicle. :thumbsup: The site I posted earlier also happens to have a lot of information about how/when to use a locking clip:

http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

I would especially avoid using one with the Nautilus if you don't need it. I've heard of others who have had trouble with the locking clip hitting the Nautilus shell strangely.

Evolily

We got the seat today, it was a bit tricky to put together but it seems to be very nice. We have yet to install it in the car though...

mish

I have a 2002 Grand Am, and the Nautilus is awesome in it. However, I hate the latchplates. They are lightweight locking latchplates and they never seem to hold. One thing you can do is flip the male end over so it is upsid down and fasten it that way. It should hold then. I have used a locking clip on mine if I couldn't keep it tight. I'm not sure how different the seatbelts are in a 98. My sister has a 2000 and they are like mine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC