Vent Can't believe my boss's booster!

The Bjorns

I filled up my boss's Land Rover with gas and took that opportunity to examine the one and only seat they have. 3 kids, oldest was 8 in December and I don't remember the ages of the boys (probably 5 and7). They have a Britax Star Riser booster that just looks decrepit. I found the DOM and it is August 2002!!! I'm sure only the littlest ever rides in the booster. Let's just say I don't think any of these kids would have the maturity level to sit still in a moving car (let alone sit still for half a nanosecond!). Obviously money is not an issue when they just bought a second house at Pebble Beach for 10+ million and it's a tear-down! They just don't get it. I mentioned that their seat was almost expired to one of the other girls I work with (trying to get PG) and she just laughed and said I was smoking crack. Yes, and enjoying every minute of it, thank you very much!

Another lady in the office has a 5 1/2 yr old DD who has been in a booster pretty much since she turned 4. She is so proud of herself because it's in the center of the backseat which is so much safer for her. She won't fly on an airplane because she considers it an unnecessary risk for a single parent. Driving is fine because she has to drive, but she doesn't have to fly. Let's all go bananas for safety and then not do the one thing that will keep kids the safest in the car--a properly fitting car seat!!!!

ADS

Citrine

I know what you mean! It boogles my mind. It was free movie day at the theater. I saw so many kids under 5 not in a booster! and some about 6-7ish in the front seat! I could not believe it. SC law is only up to 40lbs harnessed and then you can put them in a adult seat belt no booster required. I dont get it. We see what happens to adult people in car accident that are buckeled. Kids can not take that force. At least we here keep all of our precious cargo harnessed as long as possible

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
i hate it when people dont use carseats!!! do your state laws require them to?

She's in California--a 6 or 60 state. There's no specific law about harnesses vs. boosters, so chances are the youngest kid is in the booster and the older kids aren't in anything. Perfectly legal. :rolleyes:

The Bjorns

My BF is THRILLED it's only a 6/60 state. They tried to pass 8/80, but it didn't make it. Her DD is 8 and only about 10 lb heavier than my 4 yr old so she didn't want her to be in a booster until she was driving (why not?:whistle:). I don't think she was on board with her DD not having to be in a booster beyond 8 even if she didn't hit the 80 lb mark. Why I couldn't tell you. I'm acting like it's an 8/80 state because just because it's legal doesn't make it safe. If that were the case, cigarettes would be health food, right? They're legal, right? Must be fine since you know the government is always right, right? What's sad is, I know how important family is to my boss's wife (and my boss--even tho our office's favorite sport is S___-bashing, I'm one of the first to stick up for him) and she's an intelligent person. Why doesn't she get this? Why don't people realize that car safety is one of the few things they can control? I can't control how other people drive so I better darn well control how safe we are in my car.

I just don't get people sometimes. We were at ballet class and there were several girls taking the class as a trial. I struck up a conversation with one of the new moms and she was asking me about the length of the class. Her DD just, and I mean just within the last couple of weeks, turned 4 and she seemed a bit put out that none of us just dropped our girls off for class. She asked us if all the moms had to stay during the class. Now, she did have 2 other boys who were monsters and running all over, but for a 1 hour dance class you wouldn't have time to run an errand. Bet you a dollar that there were no harnessed seats in her car.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I have a coworker that has her over 40 lbs child in the harness of a 40 lbs combo seat.

xxluckychicxx

The other day I was driving along and saw a little boy, 4 years old MAX, sitting on his knees, not buckled, in a booster seat. Um does the mom not realize that kind of defeats it's purpose??? :scratcheshead:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC