Sent a 2005 car seat-- is this normal?

U

Unregistered

I bought a car seat and it was on sale by quite a bit and then I had a discount code too. I think I bought it about 60 less than some of the other websites (ordered from babycatalog). It didn't say anything about being last years model. I know seats are good for 6 years (right?), but do you think I should say anything to the company? It annoys me that they weren't upfront about it. It's a Britax. I want to get maximum usage out of it because my baby isn't even a year old yet and I was hoping it would fit him until he was in kindergarten.

Oh yes, another thing their website says that Decathlon's have side impact protection, but I was told only the Boulevard does. Britax's website doesn't say anything about the Decathlon having it, so I feel mislead there too. I would have purchased the Boulevard (or Radian) had I known.

Jess

ADS

Longhorn Lady

Yeah, the DC doesn't have TRUE side impact protection like the BV does. BUT any five point harness that is used properly provides plenty of side impact protection.

I have a MA and I usually have it outboard and I never have any qualms about doing so as I know that the harness is snug :)

As for the date issue, I'm thinking that's normal, especially if its a later year model. I know a lady who just had her baby shower and was given two MA's, both bought around the same time, but one had a July 2005 date, so she chose to sell that one since it was a bit older. You should be fine to make it to Kindergarten because you still have 5+ years left on the seat. Of if you are planning on having more children, you can pass the DC on to a new baby and buy a Regent if you want.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hi, I moved this up from the car safety section to the car seat section.

Anyway, the only way to get a discount price on a Britax is to buy the closeout fabric options, which are all a few months older than the new ones, generally (sometimes people will get brand new seats with a closeout cover, but it's not too common). Date of manufacture is usually a couple months before you buy the seat, though, and there's not really such a thing as year models in carseats (like there are in cars or strollers), there's just different seat models and different covers that seem to roll out on a somewhat random basis. It IS unfortunate that the sale page has a typo about the seat's features... www.britaxusa.com is really the best source of info, but I'm sure you could use babycatalog's error as leverage to get the seat returned, if you want to, especially if you will really be needing the seat for a full 6 years and really do want the TSIP (though all harnessed seats are very safe, and it really IS bad they put wrong info on their page!).

Lea_Ontario

We went out today and bought a Marathon for our daughter. Brick & Mortar store locally, so I could get the pattern I wanted - and the price is the same no matter where I find the Marathon around here.

Manufacture Date on it is : 09/01/2005

U

Unregistered

My date was 8/30/05-- so I guess that's okay if the ones in the stores sold are 2005 too? If they had said 2005 I still would have purchased it, but the side impact thing does bug me. I know it's still a fantastic seat. I think I will email them and complain about putting out false information. Thanks so much for the replies!!!

Jess

mom2acrew

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I just purchased a Companion from Babystyle for much less than full price but only because of a coupon and it has a DOM of 2/24/04!

They agreed to let me return it but would not honor the coupon code for another newer seat because it had expired. Luckily w/ the coupon I ony paid about 2/3rds the cost of the original price since that is all the life the seat has left. :(

I only need it for 1 child so the expiration is no big deal to me and I think it will go to my SK cooalition when I am done.

Jodi

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC