Comfort Sport = Crappy sport...Why??

Shanora

Ok, so a friend of mine needs a narrower seat than the EFT she has.....She really like the sienna, but has also seen the Swhinn at Canadian Tire, and the Comfort Sport. We are going to go and try these out in her car, and see if she can fit a booster next to it and a person on the other side.

At any rate, I've seen the Comfort sport called a crappy sport quite a few times....why?? Is it not a very good seat? Is there no padding in it??

ADS

sunnymw

No, has plenty of padding for sure! BUT...

You can only use the bottom 2 slots for rear-facing, and the top 2 for forward-facing (I believe... it may just be only the top slot for FF). It only has a 30lb limit for RF, when cheaper seats have a 35lb limit. It only has a 40lb FF limit, and it's usually outgrown long before that because the top strap slots are SOOOOO low.

Plus, IME, it's a total PITA to install. But I don't have latch. I just hate installing this thing--then again I've been spoiled by my Britax.

Other than that, I don't have any problems w/ it :)

Kat_Momof3

it has the lowest top slots of any convertible seat at 14" tall... and they can only be used for ff... so it's basically a seat that is outgrown rf about as fast as some infant seats... and is outgrown ff way too fast... some kids do it before age 2.

the Scenera would be a much better choice.

what is the schwinn??

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's really expensive for how short it lasts :( *IF* it's like the only thing that works in a certain spot and the buyer understands it's shortcomings (like, it will be outgrown RF and FF very young, the top slots are the lowest on the market, and the harness adjuster is really low to reach to when it's RF), then it's perfectly safe, it's just so many of us have wasted money on it, we don't want that fate to befall any other mama :)

sunnymw

Oh, and some of them have this issue w/ one strap always being looser than the other... I have it about half the time and it drives me insane. I have to rethread the straps in the back every time it happens. :( Arrrgh!!! It's also very hard to adjust when RF (well, when FF too).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Kat, the Schwinn is Canadian only..I think it's really super padded Cosco seats (one that looks like a Reclined Scenera for FF only, it's very strange, from the one picture I've seen!)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
  1. IT is close to impossible to adjsut the harness when it is RF
  2. It is difficult to install in many vehicles
  3. It has extremely low top slots
  4. It has a low seat shell

Shanora

Ok, I now understand the whole "Crappy Sport" LOL...Thank you very much ladies! I will be sure to tell my friend NOT to get that one.

As for those wondering about the Schwinn, here is what it looks like... Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser - Postal code is L0M 1C0. It actually looks pretty comfy... and its between that and the Scenera now.

Last edited:

featherhead

I would measure the harness slots for the Schwinn. I have seen them at CT, and to me I think they are just glorified Cosco seats. I don't think they are worth the extra money.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Yep, the Schwinn is pretty much a glorified Scenera. If she's willing to spend that much, I'd be looking at the Evenflo Triumph Advance (Sears, TRU). Nice tall top harness position that will last her child until good booster age (5 - 6 years old) and still in her budget... *much* better deal. :)

ETA: Just read the op again... nm on the EFTA, too wide. ;)

I'd still skip the Schwinn and go with the Scenera then... just let her know she *will* need another harnessed seat down the road.

mominabigtruck

If I was in canada I would totally spend that for the schwin seat. Seriously, that has been my biggest complaint with the scenera, when they stopped making the touriva with all the padding and inserts and went to the totally stripped down scenera. Blech:thumbsdown:

I don't know why they stopped making them, they must've been pretty popular because I see them like crazy all the time around here. I think when I bought my first eb touriva in 00 it was like $75. So pretty comparable to a comforsport or a titan but much nicer imho

U

Unregistered1

If you get the scenera, make sure you check the bottom for the spikes!

lemurmommies

Samantha, is the Radian not a possibility for your friend? Maybe it isn't because of price or vehicle compatibility, but it certainly is narrow!

Shanora

If you get the scenera, make sure you check the bottom for the spikes!

Spikes???

As for the radian.....well she has a $150 to spend....so she is limited to what she can buy. And prices in Canada are not cheap. *sigh* I've offered to help her buy a seat.....but they are looking to buy it right aways, and I can't help with that until after I get back from holidays.

Kat_Momof3

I think the Schwinn looks worth the added cost... it just looks so much more padded... if it is as padded as it looks, much like the uptown, the price difference is worth it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC