Recaro Start

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm still waiting for Gypsy to get here so we can REALLY play with it, but I just had to post this pic. (Because what else do I have to do while I'm waiting? And waiting. Where IS that woman??)

Whattya think - does he like it? :D ;)

IMG_2306.jpg

(No, he :love: it!)

My first impression? WOW WOW WOW!

Fighter says "IT'S THE COOLEST SEAT EVER!"
Sam says "Can I have one?"
Thomas says "I bet I could fit in that..." (he's right, he can)

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!!
Glad you got it! (you're making me want a microsuede veloury cover, though...mine're sorta boring cotton... like I have $200 to drop on new covers? not...)

:)

scatterbunny

Looking GOOD! :cool: :thumbsup: The shoulderbelt fit is great, too. :) Gotta love the Start's unique shoulderbelt guides (among other things).

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
That's one of two seats that Roman liked when we needed a booster in Germany. Sucker is comfy!

Defrost

Well, it's serving the purpose I'd hoped for - it closes the "gap" between the shoulder and the seat belt that's normally created by my car's weird design. :thumbsup:

I will admit that it feels a bit luxurious. I told my friend that it (the Start) was initially embarrassed to be seen in my car, but that the kid is cool enough to make up for it. Sam's FPSV booster and the Air Booster are feeling quite put out. ;)

And I think it's actually going to be the last carseat/booster I ever buy. By the time Macha uses it, Thomas should be tall enough to fit that seat belt. Heck, by that time, Fighter could well be tall enough, assuming we even still have this vehicle. And my manual doesn't have any mention of expiration, either... I am still going to contact Recaro on that subject, though. It does have a pretty good manufacture date - Late April '08 (I forget the exact date.)

At this height setting (there's two more that are higher), it doesn't block any more of my rear view than Thomas does when he sits back there. It's just a bit higher than the Husky that's next to it. I think it will still fit just fine even on the highest setting, though we didn't have much time to play with it in the car today.

I feel kinda bad, because I can tell Sam really wants one, too, but sheesh... I told him to save up his allowance! :D (I actually offered it to both of them; the caveat being that whoever got the Start has to sit in the back. Sam hates sitting back there, so he passed up his chance, and I don't think he's going to be able to talk Fighter out of it!)

MsFacetious

Gypsy is still alive?!

Good to know, I've been meaning to ask you. :whistle:

Nice seat too. Wow you are quick with editing your signature!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh boy oh boy...I can get a Mazda5 now! :love:

Glad you got such a new date! I bought mine in 2005 and it had a 2003 DOM...But I got mine for $199...it had been sitting around awhile :rolleyes: (I bought my second for used for even less from a gal who had bought it for $199 at the same sale... otherwise I truly wouldn't have them...well, I did buy one from the Right Start in 2001 for $330, but I sold it on ebay for $280 the next year...it didn't have SIP back then!).

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
So, how high does it go? And why is the low, low, low song playing in my head?

Kat_Momof3

If memory serves, due to it's steel frame and lack of harnesses, it has no expiration date... but don't quote me... I'd call Recaro to be sure.
:twocents:

NVMBR02

What a great picture!

I am so happy to see it fits in the back of the Mazda5 since it is on our short list of cars and I was wondering what we would do when our kids were out of harnesses carseats (although we have awhile before that happens!)

Defrost

Um, I'm losing track of all the questions. So I'm just going to answer the ones I can remember!

Someone recently pointed out in the Installation & Technical forum that the downloadable .pdf manual for the Start from the Recaro website states that it has an 8 year expiration. My manual (and apparently, everyone else's on this board) does NOT state this, however. I emailed Recaro about it yesterday; still haven't heard back.

As for why it's so expensive, it's because it's a luxury seat. I mean, it's MADE beautifully - it reminds me of the SafeGuard as far as how sturdy it is and how everything just screams "quality." It's height adjustable, of course, but the shoulder-wings are also adjustable, as is the seat depth. It has a recline feature (which I found confusing, because it specifically says not to actually drive with the seat reclined - apparently that feature is there so your child can nap in the car while you shop??) It has a top tether. It has a shoulder-belt lock-off. It also has built-in speakers in the headwings. Yes, seriously - it even comes with the cable so your child can plug in their MP3 player as soon as you open the box. (Poor Fighter, no MP3 player! Though now that I think about it, I suppose he could plug in his Nintendo DS...) And up until at least April '08, it had no expiration date.

I'll be honest, I'd never have bought it if it weren't the only booster I'm comfortable using in that seating position. I like Graco boosters just fine!

Judi, I meant to check the height and get some pics for you today, but I just ran out of time. We did compare it to the Parkway in the house, and it looked like they were very similar in height, including the belt guides, but it's hard to say if there's a difference once it's in the car - the two boosters have very different "conformation." When Thomas sat in it initially, I thought he fit, but it's technically outgrown for him (though barely) and I haven't had him sit in it in the car, where he could still fit. I'll get around to that tomorrow, but I won't have a Parkway to compare to. (Thomas is 13.5 yo and around 5'3" tall.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC