Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

BKeene

Can you add the LATCH system to a vehicle without it?

Does anyone know where, how, or if, you can add the LATCH system to a vehicle that doesn't have it installed?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Caviller

Generally, no.

With the exception of a few Audi and VW models since 1999, LATCH lower anchors cannot be retrofitted into vehicles. It may be theoretically possible to purchase new captain's chairs with LATCH for older minivans or SUVs, provided no changes have been made to the floor attachments for the chair. Even if this is possible, it is likely to be very expensive.

Also please see our "LATCH" guide linked under the top banner for answers to most LATCH-related questions.

Darren

ladyhawk24

installation of latch

latch retrofit kits are available through the manufacturer of your vehicle in most cases. It would probably be best if you had a licenced dealership install the retrofit kit if you car did not come with one already installed. Just because your car was not made with a latch kit does not mean that you cannot put one in your specific make/model of vehicle.

hmmmm........

that would be new information to me. from everything i've read and learned in tech classes, there is no retrofitting for LATCH except through the processes darren described.
    YES I am a certified CPS Technician...Internet advice is never the same as having someone actually look at your seats, your kids, and your car. Have your seats CHECKED by a Technician.

lunamalu
    I called my saturn dealership and they thought I was talking about installing anchors. Which my car already has. Because I too wanted to see if LATCH could be installed... and it can't.
    Bummer.