Pics of big kids in Radian 80

ADS

laccaycol

Well here is my 7 1/2 year old 63 pounds in the 65 so i doubt he would make it to 80 in the 80 lol.(The car seat wasnt buckled in just did it to see how he fit)
CaydeninRadian012.jpg

CaydeninRadian011.jpg

canadianmom2three

WOW sorry about the HUGE pic, I can't seem to resize it! Anyway, it is DD at just 7 years old. She was about 60lbs in the Radian 65. She sat a wee bit lower when it was installed, but it was a pretty tight fit. Despite that, she LOVED the seat and wanted to ride in it whenever her brother wasn't in it. She fit it it for 6 months or so, then she was right at 65lbs and a bit over the top slots, so I stopped letting her use it, but she would have still happily rode in it, and in fact, begged to many times:rolleyes: I'm absolutely sure that if it was her full time seat, there was no way she would have been comfortable in it, and there is no way she would have made it to 80lbs.

IMGP1709.jpg

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

RinRadian108a.jpg

Ruthie at 42lbs in the Radian 65... I don't think she'll make it to 60lbs in this seat... she's all torso.

JinRadian108.jpg

Jeffrey (already in a booster, demonstrating how to know the seat is outgrown)... 60lbs... his shoulders are 1" past the top slots and he has NO slack in the harnesses to work with... he is literally at the limit of what this seat can contain... and he's below the weight limit.

The jacket is not bulky and he wears it in other seats... it passes the test.

Oh... and his shoulders are too broad to fit the seat... they had to squish to fit... they wanted to be in front of the parts that stick out as borders of the seat.

So I would just never order the 80... even for the cover... I'd get the comfy soft separately for 17.99 for a small baby if I used it rf.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Here's one of Fighter in it right after we got it (it's his sister's seat, though, this was just for size comparison). He was 9 in this pic, and just under 60lbs.

IMG_1087.jpg

Here's dd in it; she was 7 at the time and just over 40lbs (she's small for her age):
IMG_1089.jpg

Mommy2Five

This is M in her RN 80
She'll be 8 in Oct, and is almost 60 lbs.
06-23-20082.jpg

And this one is her brothers RN 65 (just testing it out before I bought the 80 So the straps are below her shoulders).

06-05-200813.jpg

christineka

8 year old dd. She even elects to sit in the seat when her brother is not in the van. 45 pounds, 16 inch torso

emilyradian.jpg

6 year old dd. 47 pounds, 16 inch torso.

caitlynradian.jpg

scatterbunny

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=25521

That thread shows how my dd fit in the Radian (not installed, just sitting on a test bench at the store) at just over 4 feet tall, right around/slightly over 50 pounds, a month after turning 6 years old.

When I tried her in a Radian again (this time installed in a vehicle) at 6y8mo, about 4 feet 2.5 inches tall and almost 60 pounds, she was an inch over the top slots, and the tips of her ears were over the top of the shell, so definitely too big.

Since the Radian 65 and 80 have the same top slot height, and a child is too tall according to SKJP when shoulders are an inch over the top slots/tips of ears are over the top of the seat shell, kids will outgrow the 65 and 80 by height at the same time. Only a short/short-torsoed/heavy child will benefit from the extra 15 pounds the 80 allows, IMO.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/BitsyRadian107
My dd outgrew it at 7ish...
Safeinthecar's dd2 might make it to 80 in it, she's 6 and I think about 70 pounds and has an inch more torso growth.

I've become fond of 'over the top' weight limits on seats...it decreases the chance that people will use them incorrectly by a substantial margin (like seatbelts...they hold WAY more weight than most of us will ever weigh...it's good, like insurance just in case I gain 200 pounds next year...)

:)

(though I agree with Scatterbunny... the 65 is definitely 'good enough' for most kids)

Stretchy Glue

100_0491-1.jpg

This is my dd at 5.5 years, about 55 lbs. She's outgrown this seat. At this point she was above the top slot by about 1 inch, and although "safe" to use it like this, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.:twocents:

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
Thanks every one!
I was beginning to get scared that they weren't going to last as long as I'd hoped. I know they didnt make it to 80, but i would be ok putting a 7 year old in a booster. You all have such cute kids!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC