Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Car seat in a Limo?

Is there a way to put a car seat safely in a Limo? I know that you can not put it on a seat that faces any way other than forward, but can it be done? Have you done it?

We are all in a wedding next month, and I am wondering if there is a way to ride in the Limo with the rest of the wedding party or if we will have to follow separately.

Crystal, CPST Mama to Zoe 11/30/2006 , Ollie 1/3/2010 , Eli 9/24/2012 and Baby Isabel 7/23/2015

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Car seat in a Limo?

It depends if the limo has forward facing seats. The limo the funeral home drove us in had latch and tether anchors in the rear bench seats, and the seat contours were pretty "normal", I'm sure a seat would have installed just fine in them.
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus Defrost's Avatar

When I went to Vancouver last year my friend put her son's MA in a limo. I wasn't with them at that point, so I'm not sure of the details, but they did show me pics, and I couldn't see any problems with it.
    Debbie, CPST-I
    driving my '07 Mazda5 with
    Thomas (18) * Sam (17) * Patrick (15) * Macha (13)
    Safely secured with seat belts - everyone, every ride!

I was able to get my Uptown in the limo for my sister's wedding a couple weeks ago. This was a 12 passenger limo, I want to say it was a Lincoln, and it had lap/shoulder belts in the seats that faced forward as well as tether anchors. I did not have time to see if there were lower anchors or not. My only trouble was that the seats were really squishy, so I had to really push down into the seat to make sure I got it tight.

I took some pictures of the seat installed.

Jenny
    CPST (Nov 2008) and Car-Seat.Org Benefactor
    Katie: 3 years, 40 lbs, 40", FF in a Nautilus and Radian (RF to 2 years)
    Sophie: 10 months, 19 lbs 14 oz, RF in an Uptown

So is it agreed that this is someting that is compleatly safe to do?

Hmmm... now to figure out how to install said seat while in heals and a dress.....

Crystal, CPST Mama to Zoe 11/30/2006 , Ollie 1/3/2010 , Eli 9/24/2012 and Baby Isabel 7/23/2015

Also depending on if your child is a girl or boy..and if their wedding attire is poufy, etc...be careful strapping them in...the velcro on my MA snagged DD's dance recital costume.

Beth
    Single Mom and SLP

I forgot to add that this was just a 3 mile in town trip between my parents' house and the church, with the bridal party only. All our bags were in the trunk for the ride and we wore seat belts. After the wedding, DD rode with my parents to the reception because we had an 18 passenger SUV limo with the entire wedding party and it was a longer drive on busier roads. Plus, we were going to take pictures and she'd had enough for the day.

The risks I see are if the other passengers and their items are unrestrained.
    Jenny
    CPST (Nov 2008) and Car-Seat.Org Benefactor
    Katie: 3 years, 40 lbs, 40", FF in a Nautilus and Radian (RF to 2 years)
    Sophie: 10 months, 19 lbs 14 oz, RF in an Uptown

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jka1217 View Post
    The risks I see are if the other passengers and their items are unrestrained.
    I was going to say the same thing - make sure that ALL other passengers are going to be restrained. Unrestrained passengers are an absolute deal-breaker for me.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

I see no problem with it if it's on forward facing seat. There's no reason not to do it.

I wouldn't let my kids ride in a limo without one. It makes me cringe everytime that happens.
    Ali and Sadi born 2003 - 5 stepping
    Kai born July 2015 - Foonf and spare Scenera Next

I agree... it's just basic safety stuff... make sure the carseat is installed on a forward-facing vehicle seat... make sure everyone is buckled... clothes aren't too poufy (you can always take the clothing off, put the kid in naked, then put the clothes back on upon arrival), and no projectile hazards (bags stowed in trunk)

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Carseat Crazy

I rode in a limo a couple weeks ago when I was a bridesmaid. THe limo didn't even have seatbelts, let alone LATCH!

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
    I rode in a limo a couple weeks ago when I was a bridesmaid. THe limo didn't even have seatbelts, let alone LATCH!
    I would have gotten another ride.
    Carla
    DS1 - 9y - FF Nautilus booster
    DS2 - 6y - FF harnesed Frontier
    DS3 - 3y - FF Britax Roundabout,