Recaro Seat for my 3yo-- Right choice?

U

Unregistered

I just purchased a Recaro Sport for my soon to be 3 year old. I'm sure it won't get to us until she's officially 3 years. She's right at 30lbs and is on the short-side. I'm thinking she's the size of the average 2.5 year old, so perhaps 34-35". I keep second guessing my choice. It's not a cheap seat! I do want her to be safe and this seat looks like it can last for a long time. I'm not sure about the growth pattens of little girls, but I'm guessing she won't hit 40lbs until she's close to 5 years. 10lbs in two years seems about right? I don't want her to be in a booster until she's older.

Anyone have one? Do you like it? How old were your children when they grew out of the harness part? How are the straps? I forgot to research that and now I'm kicking myself. Thank you!

ADS

scatterbunny

I think the Sport is an awesome seat. :D It has the tallest top slots of all the 40 pound harnessed weight limit seats, so that's great. It shouldn't be outgrown by height too soon, kids should reach a full 40 pounds harnessed in it before having to move to booster mode. As a booster, it is superb. Great side impact protection and padding. It should definitely last your dd until she's 5 in the harness. It should also be the last booster she'll need, unless it expires before she's 4'9" and can pass the five step test.

threerugratz

I have a Young Sport for my soon to be 7 yr old and I love it. He's dinky at 36-37 lbs and approx. 43.5". He is using the Young Sport harnessed. I had hoped he would make it until age 7 in the harness but I think he may make it for several more months before he outgrows it.
Here's a link to pictures of our Young Sport. There aren't many pictures of my ds in the seat but he was about 6.5, 35lbs and 42" in the pictures.
I'm very impressed with our Young Sport and feel it is both a great harnessed seat and a great booster seat. I'm not in a hurry to move to booster mode but when we do, I'm happy the seat has such good side impact protection and love the way it surrounds my ds.

Blushing.....So sorry I forgot to include the link. Too many distractions when I was posting, guess my multi tasking mommy brain had a failure moment. Here's the link, hope it helps a bit: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/threerugratz4me/album?.dir=e6ea&.src=ph

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Thanks for the replies. I don't see the link though-- maybe I'm missing something? I'd love to see what it looks like with an actual child in it! Oh, and how are the straps? hehe Thank you!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
We have one, too ... LOVE it :) Leila still had over 1" (almost 2" when reclined) room in the harness at 4 years 42" & it makes a really awesome booster afterwards :D I wish we could have kept outs, but my cousin's toddler's carseat broke & she wasn't going to fix or replace it - at 1st I'd given her our Wizard, but then I took the Wizard back for traveling & that's when I gave her the Recaro ... at this point, since we do have other boosters as spares we're using the Husky - but Leila still asks for her RYS back & was fairly upset when I gave it to my cousin :eek:

U

Unregistered

That's a relief that you all like it so much! I feel better now about the price tag since the other Recaro is cheaper (w/o harness, but obviously not useable for us right now).

Thanks for the link to your son, threerugrats, my 4 yr old son thought your son looked pretty cool !!!

I can't wait for my seat to get here. It's backordered, but hopefully it won't take more than a month.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC