Harness covers

monstah

My son doesn't like the harness covers on his Nautilus. He says that they are itchy. I bought some new ones from BRU because he was getting burn like marks on his neck from the straps.
I know that you are not supposed to use any aftermarket parts on a car seat because it will void the warranty and / or be unsafe.
Here are my 2 questions:
Is this acceptable?
Can I just sew a piece of cute fabric together and use that?

TIA!

ADS

skaterbabs

Go to the dollar store and buy a cheap pair of those very thin cotton (nylon is better though) baby socks. Cut the toes off and thread them on in place of the harness covers.

Anything padded is a no-no.

Kat_Momof3

did you try taking them off and turning them inside out? the inner side of the shoulderpads on the Nautilus are not mesh like the outer side... instead, they are smooth, like jogging pants.

Both the shoulderpads and the crotch strap have one fabric on one side and the other on the other... and I'm guessing it is for those irritated by the mesh.

monstah

My cover is mesh like. (Walmart matrix? I think) I am jealous of the one at BRU, I felt how soft it is. If I had known that before, I probably would have splurged the extra $20.

I just got the covers out of the attic and turning them inside out would be nice but they wont velcro that way. Not without sewing surgery and my skills are minimal.

I rubbed them against my neck and I didn't really like the way they feel either. DS is right.

Kat_Momof3

Mine are mesh on one side... smooth like jogging pants on the other... I have Bravo... the cover from walmart.

tierra

Same issue here but I just took them off altogether. Do you need to use anything at all? I was under the impression they were optional...so if they bother your child, just remove them, right? :confused:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Right, it's optional to use the harness covers. They're pretty much a comfort item (although they bug some kids, so much for comfort in those cases :eek:), and they're not required. :)

amy919

I have both a Matrix (Walmart) and Galaxy (BRU) and a VERY sensitive picky child. She doesn't like the pads on the Matrix GN, but doesn't hate them enough not to use them. I did try the thin sock trick, but that seemed to bother them more and she asked for the "real" ones back. She loves the ones on the Galaxy, though.

monstah

Yesterday I put the original harness covers back on the Nautilus to see if DS would notice or complain again, and he didn't.
Maybe he was a little sensitive to the new seat when I first put him in. Who knows. Maybe he will decide they are itchy again.
If he does complain about them again I think I will just order replacement covers from Graco in a softer material. He need something because the harness rubs against his neck and leaves a pretty good mark.

Thanks for all of the replies!

TerisBoys

One thing that's helped with my sensitive child is to slide the harness strap covers up onto his shoulders before tightening the harness (so they're not moving with it and rubbing as the harness tightens).

He's learned to slide them up and hold them still while I tighten.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC