I can't believe what I saw on the road today

oxeye

A child - who looked no older than my oldest daughter (so age 4-5ish) riding on the back of a motorcycle.

:eek::eek::eek:

I was too shocked to get the plate written down before he was out of sight. That has to be illegal everywhere right?

ADS

BW1426

:eek: If that's not illegal, it should be.

I was actually getting ready to post what I saw yesterday and saw this.

I saw a dad riding a bicycle with a child who appeared to be about 12 months old on his lap. I can't even figure out how this was possible. Oh and did I mention he was on the busiest highway around :hitselfonhead: Luckily she had a helmet on, because I'm sure had they hit a bump and she been thrown into the highway, that would have saved her :rolleyes:

Some people are so dumb, it scares me.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Nope, not necessarily illegal. I had a co-worker that used to take her barely-4-yo daughter on motorcycle rides on the HIGHWAY. :confused: She had her own helmet and bike jacket and boots and everything.

I specifically asked about it in my tech class - they had to research it, but they got back to me the next day. Motorcycles are exempt from all restraint laws. :rolleyes: Legally, you could tie your newborn's infant seat to the back of a motorcycle and ride home from the hospital.

sunnymw

When DH was 3-4 years old, I believe, his GF would pick him up in Tallahassee and drive him on his motorcycle 1.5hrs back to his house (1-2x a week). GF would put DH in front of him on the motorcycle and he would lie down and fall asleep. God rest his soul, right before DH was born, GF was in a wheel chair recovering from getting his leg reconstructed. In a motorcycle accident. This was in the late 80s though...

tweetykl

One of my very small kindergartener's would arrive and be picked up on one. It took a lot to not yell at the parent.

MaggieQ

Senior Community Member
I can't believe that it's leagal to do that! How can such a small kid hold on when turning corners and such?

my2kidsSafe

:eek: If that's not illegal, it should be.

I was actually getting ready to post what I saw yesterday and saw this.

I saw a dad riding a bicycle with a child who appeared to be about 12 months old on his lap. I can't even figure out how this was possible. Oh and did I mention he was on the busiest highway around :hitselfonhead: Luckily she had a helmet on, because I'm sure had they hit a bump and she been thrown into the highway, that would have saved her :rolleyes:

Some people are so dumb, it scares me.

any chance they had this and you just couldn't see it, i am actually thinking of getting one for my ds and myself.
http://www.bobike.nl/products/en/bobike_mini+_info.htm?fluxmenu=m2____m9

natysr

This would vary by state. The states have the right to set laws on this type of thing.

Most states have no provisions within their laws stating that it is illegal for children to ride as passengers. Only 4 states do have such provisions:

Arkansas: Prohibits passengers under the age of 8

Hawaii: Prohibits passengers under the age of 7

Louisiana: a passenger must be at least 5 years old, properly seated and wearing a helmet to be a passenger on a motorcycle.

Washington: Prohibits passengers under the age of 5

Although we would not allow Jordan to ride as a passenger and do think it is unsafe for young kids, I will say that it isn't that hard in general to stay on the bike as a passenger. I would hope that they at least are using a product like the buddy belt just in case.

DH is always saying that he will get a bike with a sidecar and get it fitted with a LATCH bar from a car in a junkyard so we can put Jordan in the sidecar RF in his Marathon. :rolleyes: I don't argue with him about it though, because I know we can't afford it anyway.

BW1426

any chance they had this and you just couldn't see it, i am actually thinking of getting one for my ds and myself.
http://www.bobike.nl/products/en/bobike_mini+_info.htm?fluxmenu=m2____m9

Maybe....I mean hopefully. She was in between his legs and I just couldn't figure out how his legs could be around her and he could peddle without bumping her and they both had room to sit. It was so odd. If they were using one of these it was lower and set back much farther on the front of the bike.

drey

DH is always saying that he will get a bike with a sidecar and get it fitted with a LATCH bar from a car in a junkyard so we can put Jordan in the sidecar RF in his Marathon. :rolleyes: I don't argue with him about it though, because I know we can't afford it anyway.

When I was pregnant, my boss was always kidding me about getting a motorcycle w/ a sidecar. Lo & behold, there was one at work, with the sidecar, & a RF infant seat in it. Along with a fiberglass bubble to protect the baby from debris, I guess...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC