Pictures of Jacob to show I'm not crazy....

emandbri

He will be 12 in Sept, is 5 foot 2 and around 120 lbs.

I realized I accidently didn't have the shoulder belt in the guide so here are new picutres.

Here he is with just a seat belt.

DSC01717.JPG

He has been in a prospect for the last year because it is the widest seat. The shoulder belt doesn't fit right but options were limited.

DSC01718.JPG

I was hoping he would fit in the monterey but he doesn't. He is too tall and he says it isn't wide enough backless.

DSC01715.JPG

I'm tempted to get a frontier for him but my husband is freaking out over buying yet another seat (I admit the frontier would be my 34th seat :eek: ). I think he would feel better if I saw it in person first espeically since I just bought the monterey without seeing it. I did remember that I do know someone in town who has one and I send her a PM to see if I could go see it.

Last edited:
ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

Wow. I can't believe the shoulder belt lays like that.

I was thinking lastnight as my Dad's wife sat next to me in my car, at 4'8" that she REALLY does need a booster seat.

Simplysomething

Isn't the main concern, with boosters--that we get the lap belt right? My understanding is that the shoulder belt could be uncomfortable, but that doesn't necessarily make it unsafe, but if the lap belt goes across the squishy parts (the belly) instead of across the hips--then THAT is unsafe.

With an improper shoulder belt fit, people are more likely to put it behind their back, but you wouldn't let your son do that, yes?

The lap belt looks like it goes across the same places in all the pics. Hoepfully, one of the techs will chime in. lol

emandbri

No, he doesn't put the shoulder belt behind his back. It actually does fit him a bit better, I just realized that the shoulder belt isn't going through the adjuster on the van but the shoulder belt still doesn't fit quite right. He is usually on the right side of the van but I moved him to the left for the picture because I was able to get a better picture with the middle seat of the van out.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I agree that the lap belt fits fine. I would hate riding with the shoulder belt like that, though, so I wouldn't want to make my child do that, either.

Did the Prospect not come with a shoulder-belt guide?

What vehicle is it? My old Astro has these removable shoulder-belt-positioners in the outboard positions in the back, and they really help. They're just plastic belt-guides with velcro. I think I would be tempted to "rig" something similar, though I know that whenever we use the word "rig," it means "NO, don't do that!" :p

emandbri

It is a 2004 sienna. He fits better in the middle row but I need Benjamin there so I can drop him off at preschool. Benjamin can buckle himself in but I need to tighten the straps. He also seems to fit fine in every other vehicle I've tried him in, my mom's caravan, dh's 2000 camry, my MIL 2007 camry, and my FIL's blazer.

I don't think the prospect came with a shoulder guide, if it did I have no idea where it is.

I'm glad I figured out I fogot to put the shoulder belt in the guide! I was feeling really bad for letting him ride without the prospect when we had 8 in the van!

So what do you guys think? What should I do? If he doesn't fit in the frontier I can always use it for the other kids.

Defrost

Are you just looking for an excuse to buy another carseat? ;)

If he still fits in the Prospect, I'd see about getting a belt positioner for it. While they can be a bit of a pain, it would certainly be less so with an older child who can take responsibility for it himself.

emandbri

Are you just looking for an excuse to buy another carseat? ;)

I was planning to buy a frontier anyway, I would just be buying it sooner then I had planned. I was hoping to wait 6 months for the kinks to be worked out and see if came out with some better covers. I would feel really bad if he got hurt in a crash because I'm scared to buy a seat because it is new on the market.

If he still fits in the Prospect, I'd see about getting a belt positioner for it. While they can be a bit of a pain, it would certainly be less so with an older child who can take responsibility for it himself.

What kind of adjuster?

Oh and I do have side curtian airbags. Would you guys be more likely to let a child use a backless booster in a car with side curtian air bags? What do you guys think about that shoulder belt? It really bugs me but if you guys think it is okay I'll believe you. My husband doesn't want to get it because it would be harder to see out the back.

Oh and he is fitting better then he was. Here are pictures from a year ago.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=14752&highlight=hoping+fit

Defrost

What kind of adjuster?

The kind that typically come with backless boosters. It's just a piece of plastic on a strap; the strap attaches to the base of the booster, routes behind the child's back, and the plastic piece adjusts right above the shoulder. Then you route the shoulder portion of the seat belt through that, and it holds it in the correct position.

It looks like this from the front, but without a picture of it from the back, I'm not sure this will help you picture it:
IMG_0827.jpg

I'm honestly not sure if the Prospect comes with one or not; I've never bought a booster that didn't, but then I've never bought a Cosco booster, either. I would call Cosco and ask if you could have one shipped.

Oh and I do have side curtian airbags. Would you guys be more likely to let a child use a backless booster in a car with side curtian air bags?

Both my boys ride in backless boosters even though they still fit in them as HBB, because we have side curtain airbags, and because the seat belts are properly positioned without the backs. I know HBBs would probably provide additional protection, but it would be minimal, and the level of inconvenience isn't worth it for me. (I have to move the boosters on a daily basis because I use my car for work.)

What do you guys think about that shoulder belt?

I'd want to find a way to do something about it. It looks terribly uncomfortable, and I'm not sure it would perform optimally in a crash in that position.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Debbie, Cosco quit selling the belt guides with the High Rise about a year after the seat came out, I'm not at all surprised if it never came with the Prospect.:(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I 'invented' a shoulderbelt guide for my van (Center of the 2003 Odyssey)...it's a luggage strap wrapped all the way around the seatback and I attached a belt guide from another backless booster to it just so I could pull the belt down a little on the shoulder/off the neck. I got the idea from an aftermarket product sold in the UK... all it does is pull the shoulderbelt down a little like any other belt guide would so I feel safe using it, it looks a little something like this, not sure if it's doable in an outboard seat though http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/StartsAndCenterBeltGuide/photo#5104594195538379170

Defrost

Debbie, Cosco quit selling the belt guides with the High Rise about a year after the seat came out, I'm not at all surprised if it never came with the Prospect.:(

*sigh* Why am I not surprised to hear that? I suppose 95% of the customers just chucked them, but still.

Doesn't SK have a belt positioner out that doesn't look too awful?

The guide in the pic you posted is similar to what I had in mind. I should dig around in the Astro one of these days and take pics of the guides that came with the van - they were quite convenient and we actually used them fairly often.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I must be missing something since everyone is saying that the shoulderbelt looks really uncomfortable, but it doesn't seem too bad in the pictures :confused:. Did you post different pictures?

emandbri

I must be missing something since everyone is saying that the shoulderbelt looks really uncomfortable, but it doesn't seem too bad in the pictures :confused:. Did you post different pictures?

I did. I forgot to put it in the belt guide at first, it was much worst before.

Defrost

OH! *sees new pictures*

Yeah, that looks fine now. That's a belt guide that's already in your car?

I'd be perfectly comfortable using it like that. :thumbsup:

Kat_Momof3

Seeing the new pics, I'm thinking he's fine in just the seatbelt. In fact, I can't tell for sure, but it looks like the tops of his ears might be at the top of the vehicle headrest, making him too tall to use the backless booster.

I'd use the vehicle's belt positioner and let him use just the seatbelt, as it looks like the belt fits the same as in the booster.

Oh Good (to new pics) I was thinking I was going to have to ask you to teach me why that shoulder belt was bad :p

On questioning to learn, though, to me it looks like the lap belt is going across his stomach or maybe his pelvic area...and probably looks high b/c his pants are so low ... so it's ok where it's at?

To the OP - that's awesome that your ds has ridden in a booster for so long. I'm currently having an on-going discussion with dh b/c he wants our 4 1/2 yo in a hbb in his car ... not totally happy with that idea, but he has to pull the seat out for the week and then it's just in there for a short trip to church on the weekends ... ugh, I don't know! Anyways - that's awesome!

Defrost

On questioning to learn, though, to me it looks like the lap belt is going across his stomach or maybe his pelvic area...and probably looks high b/c his pants are so low ... so it's ok where it's at?

It's acceptable where it's at, though it's better with the booster. It looks like it would fit better if he'd push his butt back against the vehicle seat more, but it's hard to say - it just LOOKS like he's slouching a little, he may not be. It's also possible that since he's used to a booster, he may be used to slouching in order for his feet to reach the floor, so his position without the booster is just habit, and after some education and practice, he'll sit better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC