Speaking of EpiPens . . .

Lea_Ontario

This is a post I made on another board last week (Monday, February 27th). I'm just copying and pasting it here instead of trying to retell it.

The background is that my son - Boo - is allergic to dairy. His reaction is anaphylactic shock.

I'm sorry if this is somewhat disjointed - I'm feeling exhausted as the adrenaline rush wears off.

At one point this morning, Boo was sitting on the couch - I noticed that he was eating something, and asked him what it was. I was expecting it to be a cracker (as the kids had had crackers not long prior to this), or maybe a cheerio or something.

He held out his hands, and his fingers are smeared with CHOCOLATE !

Now, the only chocolate we have in the house is semi-sweet chocolate chips that have no dairy listed on the ingredients, and which I've called the manufacturer about - no dairy in them, but they are produced on a shared line. We do NOT give these to Boo, but Brad and I sometimes mix them in with some cereal for a snack for ourselves.

Not wanting to take the chance - I grab my emergency bag from the kitchen and give Boo a dose of Benedryl. Then I sit him in my computer chair and watch him - I'm watching for redness and hives on his face, trouble breathing, stuff like that.

Within a minute or two, Boo starts scratching at his lips and mouth. A little confused, I asked him what's wrong. He sticks out his tongue, points at it and starts digging at it with his fingers, scratching it hard.

Itching tongue and lips are one of the signs of anaphylactic shock, so I grab one of the EpiPens we have and lay Boo down on the couch. I pulled his pants off (in retrospect, I didn't have to do that ) and give him his EpiPen.

Oh my - did that make him MAD !!! HUGE tears start immediately - and cries of "MAMA YOU HURT ME". My heart just about breaks - it hurts so much knowing that I hurt my baby. But the alternative is worlds of difference in worse.

I made sure he was laying down and called 911. They dispatch an ambulance to us, and after I get off the phone with them, I call DH's work and tell his supervisor that she needs to send Brad to meet us at the hospital because I'd just given Boo his EpiPen (she sent him home), then I called my mom and left a message saying we were waiting for an ambulance to take Boo to the hospital.

The ambulance shows up - Boo likes the "doctors" and all thier gadgets. He's looking okay - no swelling or redness or hives or breathing difficulty - his oxygen is in the low 90s, and his blood pressure is okay. They calm me down with thier own calmness, and thier ease with Boo. Brad shows up a few minutes later.

The paramedics are still keeping track of Boo's heart rate and breathing - but since he's not showing any signs of shock, aren't in a hurry to take us to a hospital. Until they see a rash starting on his chest, then they suggest it would be in our better interest to get him checked out.

So - pants on to Boo, and getting Bug ready to go, and Boo and I ride in the back of the ambulance (just on the seats - Boo sitting in just a lap belt !) and Brad follows us with Heather in the car. Boo loved the ride in the "truck".

We spent about 2 1/2 hours at the hospital, for a 3-minute check up with the doctor.
Boo's oxygen levels were 100% at triage, and again when we saw the doctor. His lungs are clear, and his throat isn't swollen, and no hives either. Just the rash on his chest. The doctor says that that will be okay - I got the Epinephrine into him fast enough to stave off a full reaction.

We weren't in the car more than 3 or 4 minutes when Boo fell asleep - he's in his bed now, totally crashing out from the Benedryl, adrenaline, and the epinephrine.

Brad's gone out to cash out a lotto ticket his aunt gave us ($50) and bring back subs - I so do NOT feel like doing anything right now. I'd go hold Boo, but that would wake him up I'm sure.

Well - that's my morning in a nutshell. Hope you all had better ones.

Last edited:
ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Glad all's OK with Owen now!

Wooey! So glad Leila's intolerances were minor & outgrown now, except the lactose intollerance.... :eek:

Michi

Oh yikes!
I just had to have a meeting w/ my son's teacher last night because she wasn't taking his Epipen on field trips! (It is normally in her desk) I was so paranoid that he would come into contact w/ peanuts somehow while they were out -(he is contact-sensitive).

We also had to recently send a note home to the parents (again...) because he got 3 peanut butter candy bars in his Valentine's bag. ( He can't read yet, and so I was so mad because he could have eaten them!)

Lea_Ontario

pablomichi said:
Oh yikes!
I just had to have a meeting w/ my son's teacher last night because she wasn't taking his Epipen on field trips! (It is normally in her desk) I was so paranoid that he would come into contact w/ peanuts somehow while they were out -(he is contact-sensitive).

We also had to recently send a note home to the parents (again...) because he got 3 peanut butter candy bars in his Valentine's bag. ( He can't read yet, and so I was so mad because he could have eaten them!)

I would be FURIOUS if I were you :mad:

Michi

Kashi said:
I would be FURIOUS if I were you :mad:

Oh yeah, we are!
The school has been totally uncooperative in this situation, ( and he's not the only severly allergic child in the class, ) which is why we plan to homeschool him next year. I'm going to stick it out for the next two months because I don't have time to get anything together 'lesson-plan wise.'

The teacher has even been letting other students bring peanut butter cookies for B-day treats, and my son and this other child just have to sit and watch all of the other kids have a snack ( and PRAY that no one touches them afterwards!) We made the analogy that it is like having a loaded gun in the classroom.

Just last night ( with the school nurse backing me up) we got the teacher to FINALLY agree that she wouldn't let kids pass out treats that were KNOWN to have peanuts in them. ( Yet my husband said when her dropped our DS off the other day she was sitting at her desk eating Chex mix w/ peanuts!)
I don't think she gets it. I made the nurse and the principal aware of it yesterday, so now at least they are aware of what has been happening.

(And don't even get me starten on her lack of booster seats on field trips!!!):mad:

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
pablomichi said:
Oh yeah, we are!
The school has been totally uncooperative in this situation, ( and he's not the only severly allergic child in the class, ) which is why we plan to homeschool him next year. I'm going to stick it out for the next two months because I don't have time to get anything together 'lesson-plan wise.'

At that age, you'd be fine just going to the library once a week. Really. Lessons at home take so much less time than lessons at school that even if you did absolutely nothing "academic" through the end of the school year, you could easily make up for the last 2 months in 2-3 weeks. Meanwhile, if someone does feed him nuts in class, there's no undoing that damage.

I highly recommend The Homeschooling Handbook by Mary Griffith to anyone who is just starting to homeschool. She does a great job of covering all the basics and frequently asked questions.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I love to read, but I've been disappointed that all the homeschooling books I've been recommended don't touch on the lack of confidence I feel in being able to do it - they're usually about the requirements, lesson plans, etc. but not the intimidation I feel by the possibility of my getting too stressed & pressuring myself & Leila too much :( Does anyone here know of a resource for THAT? :eek:

Michi

UlrikeDG said:
At that age, you'd be fine just going to the library once a week. Really. Lessons at home take so much less time than lessons at school that even if you did absolutely nothing "academic" through the end of the school year, you could easily make up for the last 2 months in 2-3 weeks. Meanwhile, if someone does feed him nuts in class, there's no undoing that damage.

I have read that book it is great! I agree Ulrike - I need to do something!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thanks -- I'll see if I can check it out from the library ... I really am terrified, though! Is that bizarre :confused: :eek: :(

skaterbabs

No, I don't think it's bizarre at all. We all have things we're terrified of. ;) I would never attemp to HS CJ, despite the issues we've had with the schools, because of his ODD. *shudder* it's all I can do to get his HW done!

Michi

And I wouldn't HS my daughter who LOVES school!
YOu have to do what is best for each child, and what works best for you!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah -- so far Leila loves her Nursery school, but I feel totally unprepared for what next year might bring ... how she'll handle this private school -- I don't want her to go to that public school there (bad reputation & performance, etc.), but it too is walking distance so that's nice ... if the private school isn't her thing I have a feeling SHE would prefer the public school, but the *only* way I think I could go that route is if I were working there :rolleyes: Hopefully the private school works out for her!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The Homeschooling Handbook does cover that. :)

Actually, if you want a book that will make you realize that children pretty much "teach" themselves if only given the opportunity, I found John Holt's Learning All the Time much more reassuring than the Unschooling Handbook. (For some reason, I really just did not get into the Unschooling Handbook.)

Lately, we've also been having fun with some of the ideas in The Ultimate Book of Homeschooling Ideas: 500+ Fun and Creative Learning Activities for Kids Ages 3-12 by Linda Dobson.

LEAW

Ok so I realize this has become a HS thread, but back to the nut issue.

I'd push really hard for you school to write (with you) a 504 plan regarding nuts in the classroom, in the school, and the care/treatment plan for your kids.

BECAUSE it's totally evil that they are allowing this to go on, and a 504 plan will at least give you a legal foot to stand on when you insist that the techer not have her peanut chex at school!

(Special ed teacher here...)

Lisa

Lea_Ontario

lisa2976 said:
Ok so I realize this has become a HS thread, but back to the nut issue.

I'd push really hard for you school to write (with you) a 504 plan regarding nuts in the classroom, in the school, and the care/treatment plan for your kids.

BECAUSE it's totally evil that they are allowing this to go on, and a 504 plan will at least give you a legal foot to stand on when you insist that the techer not have her peanut chex at school!

(Special ed teacher here...)

Lisa

Actually - this was never a nut issue.

It's a dairy and egg issue. Nuts are relatively easy to avoid in comparison. But asking that a classroom be declared dairy-free and egg-free would be nigh on impossible. Imagine - no milk, no cheese, no bread, no crackers, no yogurt, no cookies, no chips, no popcorn, no deli meats, nothing with flavouring or seasoning, etc. Basically nothing other than fresh fruit and veggies, with no dips.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, Canada doesn't have a "504" plan.

Dreaming_of_Speed

Senior Community Member
i second lisa's suggestion. My mom is a special ed teacher and she had several kids with food allergies that had it written into thier IEP that certain foods werent allowed. she taught EH (emotionally handicapped) kindergarten one year and had several parents write in food dislikes and likes b/c the kids would freak out if they were given peas or if the pizza had pepperoni.

It shows that you had a sit down conference with the teacher and if something were to happen regarding peanuts and your child the teach can be held liable. Without it she can claim to never have been told and get away with being lazy about your child's allergies. (lets face it this is just plan indifference and laziness) They legally have to follow the iep or they can be reprimanded or even fired if they disregard it.

It should be as easy as calling the school and talking with the cousler there. She'll set up a conference with your childs teacher, you, and herself. You'll go (with doctors notes listing all food allergies) and write up exactly what your cild can and cannot be given to eat. Also include an action plan if for some reason you DC contacts peanuts. Do you want EMS to come get him and take him to the hospital or should the school nurse (or teacher) give him a shot from his epipen and call you? Do you want the teacher to give him his shot or the school nurse? Should the shot be stored in the healthroom or classroom? Do you want the teacher to take it with him when he's at recess or PE?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC