For fun... worse misuses before YOU knew better

sunnymw

I've seen several threads about the horrible things we see other people doing, but I KNOW that all of us have had oopses in our pasts, right? I know I've had a few stupid/dangerous/insane moments before I knew better.

So, 'fess up. What mistakes did YOU make?

I'll go first. No flames. I know we were incredibly lucky, and we know better now :thumbsup:

Number 1: Stupid
After consumer reports thing came out last year, I was in toys R us looking at car seats, thinking it would be totally stupid to buy another Snugride just to have one with EPS. So I looked at convertibles. My brain said "Well, Graco did best on those crash tests, so I'll get a ComfortSport." :rolleyes:

Number 2: Brain fart... dangerous one!
This is the reason I don't suggest bucket seats personally, even in winter. I went to my 6 week postpartum checkup. DS cried, so DH took him out of the bucket to comfort him. Then put him back in, but didn't buckle him, since we were STILL in the waiting room at that point. He fell asleep, put the blanket over him. Later we left, and we were 2 minutes from home (which was 35 minutes away) before DS woke up, I took the blanket off, and realized he wasn't buckled at all :eek:

Number 3: Stupid & Dangerous & Insane
In my husband's FOUR seater Chevy Blazer... a bunch of us young stupid kids wanted to go to the Macon Mall (1.5hrs away, interstate). So we rode all that way, DH driving, one friend in the passenger seat, one friend in the very back cargo area, and ME, sitting on a pillow that was on top of the two buckles (so, I was unbuckled obviously) between two rear-facing car seats (properly installed though!!). With my head touching the ceiling. Yeah, we were VERY lucky there, and I'd never do THAT again.

Number 4: Small yet seemingly common mistake
When installing that ComfortSport, I put the locking clip on the door side of the seat rather than the buckle side. And the seat belt locked anyway :rolleyes: (I was doing it to avoid The Tilt).

Okay, now that I've laid myself bare, time for someone else to come along and make me feel not-so-horrible. :D Hopefully this will be humbling for all of us LOL

ADS

featherhead

When my dd was only maybe 3 weeks old we went out for breakfast with ILs, and she needed to sleep, so we put her in the bucket and covered her with a blanket. We left the restaurant and drove down the highway to the next town, and then back (7 minute drive). Once we were home we realized dd wasn't buckled!

We took our nephew and some friends to the zoo (nephew was maybe 16 months). I installed his car seat (what I now know was a Cosco Comfort Ride, way expired) and wrapped the tether strap around the headrest in my parents van. There were no tether hooks, and that's how our nephew's grandparents (his caregivers) did it.

christineka

I don't think I could list them all... I went to a seat check when number 4 was 18 months old. Here's what I can think of:

Not buckling the infant in the seat. (Complete accident)

Loose installs

Locking clip on the non-buckle side and just because I thought the shoulder strap needed to be out of the way.

Too tall babies in the infant seat.

Bought an overhead convertible.

Bought that convertible because dd was under 20 pounds. It started out rfing, but was a pain in the pattootie, so we turned it before 20 pounds. (She was over a year old.)

I had no clue about shoulder straps. I have one picture where they are below a child's shoulders.

Loose harness straps.

Low chest clips.

Puffy clothing. We had a big eskimo suit for the baby.

Buckling with twisty straps. (Dh was more the culprit than myself. Same with the chest clip.)

Once I drove with ds buckled in the seat, but seat not installed. I made a sudden stop and he crashed into my seat. I pulled over immediately to install the seat.

The shield seat was 6.5 years old when I went to the seat check. It had a 7 year expiration date on it, but it was confiscated anyway. Oh, and it was missing the shield pad by that point. Also 18 month old dd was only 19 pounds and forward facing because the seat was a pain.

Took first baby home in a second hand fisher price t-shield with a broken off handle. I had no clue what the history of it was. (Dh went out and bought a new evenflo bucket before we went anywhere else.)

We used the aftermarket head support thing.

Even worse (I think), quit using it too soon and dd had no head support by 6 weeks.

Used the combo boosters in booster mode at ages 5 and 4. (Not the worst.)

Routing the belt over the arm rests on the turboboosters.

Not buckling boosters when kid not in vehicle.

I hope that's all...

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have done the same thing with DD1 in her infant seat. I almost did it with DD2, as well. I had a routine when DD2 was a newborn that I would carry both kids to the car, set DD2 in her bucket, take DD1 to the other side and buckle her in, then go back and buckle DD1. Once I forgot to go back and buckle DD1, and I got in the car and put it in reverse and DD1 started screaming "Mama! Baby buckle!"

We bought a Triumph since it was 'just as good' as a MA...this was when I picked carseats by poking them and seeing which one had more padding. When you are a FTM and your baby is 2 months old 40 pounds seems SO far away.

I had the Triumph installed correctly in my car, but we sold it and drove to Alaska in DH's Jeep, without locking seatbelts. I didn't use a locking clip :eek:. Then for the drive home when DD was 11.5 months old and 19 pounds I turned her FF because she was 'close enough.' We also had a huge thick cover over the seat.

clmchrissy

hmm... I have a couple bad ones

w/ DS1 I had an 03 Taurus & a SR that I used center latch & seatbelt (figured the more the better).
I thought my AO was the best & most expensive car seat out there ( I figured anything w/ EB on it was the best).
I even ff DS1 too young, like 10 months (I think) using RF belt path & latch in my then 04 Corolla. Yikes! Oh yeah, I never changed the harness height just kept pulling it out more.

Shanora

*sigh* I'm much like the ones above...although I have always been Car seat Conscience. But DS#1 was in a bucket that the crotch strap was SO far away from his groin I could have put 2 of him in it. It was Second hand...from my grandparents....they picked it up at a yard sale I think. NO idea if it was expired though...lol.

the second seat for him, was a Fisher Price T-Bar, that was WAY expired. I also used it as a booster seat at the kitchen table (Didn't have a car, or a highchair, so I figured this worked...LOL)

On a trip north (about 26 hours) I let Josh come out of his seat to stand up an play cause that seat had NO padding. I'm also pretty sure I put a small pillow or blanket in the bottom of the seat for his poor bum :eek:. He was also only 7 months old when I turned him FF in the same seat.

When we left BC and move to the NWT, I left the seat in BC with family I think and had a friend lend me her over head shield seat, which I used for a while...and then either put him into the seat belt or a shield booster.....depending on what was available at the time.

He was then later bought (at age 3 I believe) bought an eddie bower Car seat/Booster, as it was on sale at Canadian tire! lol. That lasted until he was 8....where I took him out of the booster...and even though didn't sit in the seat properly allowed him to sit with out on....although he is NOW in a LBB Turbo...lol

*sigh* I'm surprised he's still alive....

With DS#2, I don't remember how his infant seat was installed, but I'm thinking it was with the latch....but i don't remember....but I was ALOT more concerned about car seat safety this time around.

BUT......lol.....he had a cuddle bag in, and used that for 8 months, until I got sick of fighting with the SHORT straps in the Graco Snuggle ride, and bought him a EFT....I turned him FF at 14 months, only to turn him RF again 2 months later, and we was RF until he was 23 months....in all honestly....he could STILL be RF, cause on a full belly and wearing boots and a coat he weighs 30 pounds.

The worst part with the cuddle bag, is if you weren't careful and didn't pull up the back of it....so that it lined up the strap holes with where the straps actually came out....there was SOOO much slack in the harenss....lol

At any rate now that I've written a book,.....LOL...I'm actually quite glad I've learnt as much as I have!

Murphy's Law

I had ds1 in a RA RF with a snow suit on and with the strap height above his shoulders.

Dd had a "bundle me" in her car seat.

I'm sure I've forgotten to buckle them a time or 2. Luckily the last time this happened, dd said to me "Um Mum? Why am I not buckled?" after I had started driving. Good thing she's old enough to say something!

I don't think I've made any errors with my ds2 yet!

fyrfightermomma

I was pretty good with my own kids. With my "foster kids" that I had when I was 16-19 years old I:

1. Had an OHS seat (evenflo Trooper) used and expired, child above top straps, head above shell but it was tight!

2. Turned 8 month old FFing in a Cargo because she was "close enough"

3. Didn't have a booster one time and put 3 year old on a phone book. Close enough to a booster for me

4. Put oldest child in shield booster at age 2, HBB at 3, and LBB at 4

My own kids:

1. Bought a Triumph because it was "the best" on Consumer reports. Turned DD1 at 10 months FFing becuase MD said she was "close enough"

2. On carrier-had bundle me, aftermarket head support and plenty of toys and a mirro

3. DD2 still had bundle me and toys even though I was very into car seat stuff at that point. I still thought I knew better :whistle:

When DD2 was about 8 months I got certified and took the bundle me out :)

Still have the mirror though so feel free to beat me now :eek:

emars002

Well, what i can think of....
chest clip was always buckled but never even w/ armpits
never paid attaention that the crotch strap had specific positions
had no clue seat belts locked
had no clue what the d-ring was:eek:
and the one i am the least proud of - thought when my kids turned 1 and 20lbs they were supposed to be turned FF

I thought b/c i bought new car seats i was doing good - doens't help much if you don't read the WHOLE manual for the car seat and the car! Now i know better!!!!!!

christineka

Oh, I forgot a couple really bad ones.

I got a ride from a lady a couple times without the car seat. Put 1 year old dd in her 2 year old's shield booster.

Got a ride another time. Dh was supposed to come back and pick us up, but we ended up leaving early. 6 month old dd rode in the umbrella stroller in the car.

Oh this is going to be long. I didn't know better(well, I should of if i read the manuals) until March 2007.

*FF both kids WAY WAY TOO EARLY. My oldest was FF at 8 months :whistle:
*Aftermarket shoulder strap covers
*Aftermarket baby inserts
*Mighty Tight
*Booster way way too early for my oldest(and low back none the less at 3) :whistle:
*Carseats WAY WAY TOO LOOSE install
*Belly clips
*Loose straps
*Riding in a lap belt(my nephew at 5 years old, and 42 pounds) in my vehicle
*Garage sale seats that were expired
*Washed my straps
*Bought an AOE and used it over the FF limit straps above the shoulders
*Coats in the carseat
*Oh I am sure everything you can think of I did :eek:

There are pics of my misuse at www.myspace.com/carseatsaftey :eek:

sunnymw

LOL no beatings... :D I had toys and mirrors and everything, too.

RIGHT before I found this site, I had DS1, at 17 months, forward facing in my GMIL's 07 Honda Civic. In the center. Borrowing LATCH. Yep. Also did the same rear-facing in my Mazda3 that we had for awhile (06) not sure if it's allowed in there or not. I figured, LATCH = super safe, and center position = super safe... so both = super super safe right?? LOL

Also when DS was 10 months old or so, we took MIL's van somewhere and she had an old OHS seat. I turned it around RF, but still managed to buckle through the FF belt path. Whoops. And by NO means was it anywhere near tight enough. Then until recently I allowed him to ride in it (1 mile, from church to their house, same road) forward-facing. Then it dawned on me, jeez, that thing's GOT to be expired! And she took it out *yay*! It was 7 years old.

JerseyGirl'sMama

-I let my DH pick out our infant bucket seat (Britax Companion) based on looks and really nothing else. He liked that the fabric looked like carbon fiber.

-Used a 'bundle me lite' in the Companion.

-Took the head rest out of the Companion when DD was around 6 months old.

-Bought and used a 'grabber mat' underneath the Companion and her Signo.

Pepse

when dd #1 was a baby and in her infant seat, i was coming home from somewhere and i guess the seatbelt didn't click properly, i turned the corner and the whole seat when flying to the otherside of hte car and ended up on the floor lol.

ctbcleveland

I used to let my classmate's four year-old son ride in my car with just a seatbelt and never thought twice about it. They were from India and used to drive him to daycare on the back of a scooter, so they weren't too concerned about child car safety in the US.

Thank goodness they moved to Indiana, which has a booster law.

Auntie2Avi

When Avi was an infant putting strap covers on the harness. We removed them after like 2 days though, they were a PIA. I am also pretty sure I drove him around in his Snugride with the shoulder belt routed incorrectly. Luckily he was out of it when he was 5 months and at that time I did pretty extensive research and got really into carseats. When we needed a spare and just had the DC I got the Comfortsport, since it was only $80 and Graco seemed pretty good. I will say that at that time there was no EFTA and I didn't know about the Britax sales, but after dealing with the annoying installation and not being able to adjust the tightness of the harness we got rid of it and got the MA.

abacus2

I've always been a stickler for reading the manual and knew the seat and straps had to be tight. I did however:

Somehow manage to miss that the Snugride is never to be installed with a forward of the bite lap belt and used it that way the whole time Rachael fit in our secondary car.

Turn Rachael FFing at 15 months, <25 lbs.

Think it was fine for an adult to use the lapbelt only when the other seats were full.

Follow Consumer Reports suggestions: Triumph - pretty good, but outgrown by weight at almost 3, and Vanguard - outgrown FFing by height at 18months, 25 lbs, 29"! (Emily rode in this the other day and she has significantly less room above her head RFing than she does in the Triumph)

Have no idea seatbelts locked, thinking that a lap-shoulder belt always needed a locking clip.

laccaycol

Its kinda funny i grew up riding in nothing not even the seatbelt, but when i had my 1st at age 17 i was sitting in the back with her and every time we turned a corner her infant seat would tip over. I knew that it wasnt right and i ended up going to a car seat check it was like 115 degrees outside my car was trying to over heat and i had no air and the line was really really long. We got closer and the techs had us get out and get in shade and gave us water to drink lol until it was our turn. So i learned how to install seats and learned about the chest clip very early this was 11 years ago, but the one thing i didnt learn about was OHS and after market products. I also didnt know when to put them into a booster think my first 2 were around 3 when i put them in the shield booster:eek: I always had OHS convertible seats. I bought a mighty tight because i had a brevierra and we all know what a pain it was to install those but ended up not using the mighty tight because i didnt like it. I dont even know what happened to all my seats i had when my daughter and 7 year old were young lol. I did have a car seat problem even before i found these boards. Everyone came to me when they needed a back up seat lol.
Here ya go Scary look at my daughter in the middle think she was 6 years old?
007_6A.jpg

My Neice and again my daughter in the middle no car seat i dont know why she wasnt in her brevierra i know that is what i used for her i have it on Video lol(the tether is around the head rest because my sister didnt want an indent in her head rest lol) but as you can see how i did my sons in her car
009_8A.jpg

my son not sure what age
021_20A.jpg

mykidsmylife

Well lets see I took Johnathon out of his seat in the middle of the night on a long road trip bc/ he wouldnt stop crying. he slept in the back with me for 6 hrs in no seat.
I put him in a chest carrier that was strapped tot he seat with a seatbelt through it and drove a half a mile to walmart.
I put him in a booster at 2 for one trip to walmart and back.
I had him in a 3-point harness with kinda lose straps.
I had him in an oversheild with straps off the shoulder.
I had him in an expired car seat which I put on Craigslist.

Its a suprise my child is alive. But he is safe now!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC